CW Interface

  • Jack Fleming
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
      I had a fine time at the W7DX Field Day this year running cw with
      N1MM and thought I would use it for tomorrow's IARU contest. So I
      pulled out my TRLog cable and hooked it up to the computer printer
      port.

      But when I try to send cw (after checking the lpt1 box in the config
      page) - it's not working. When I press F7 (and expect to hear a
      question mark) I get 4 dahs. Hitting F1 (send CQ) gets a bunch of
      dahs. No dits. The paddle (hooked through a splitter at the key
      jack) works fine.

      I've looked around in the documentation, online, and on this forum
      but haven't found whether my TRLog cable (which I thought was pretty
      standard) would work with N1MM. Do I need to make a new cable?
      Something else?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks and 73, Jack, WA0RJY (K7ED in contests)
    • Lundborg DK
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
        Jack Fleming wrote:

        > Hitting F1 (send CQ) gets a bunch of
        > dahs. No dits. The paddle (hooked through a splitter at the key
        > jack) works fine.

        Hi Jack and The List.

        The paddle is manipulating the electronic key in your transceiver via a
        stereo jack. Dots are selected via the tip and dashes via the ring. But
        your computer or interface sends fully formed morsecode via the tip only.

        You'll have to switch the transceiver setting "Electronic Key" off. On
        my Kenwood it is a small slide switch, situated on the backside near the
        key jack.

        Then your paddle will not work, of course - but a Vibroplex bug would do
        the job...

        73 de Ole, OZ1APB
      • Jack Fleming
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
          Of course! The internal keyer. It's been a while since I've run
          contesting software - but I should have remembered that.

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Fleming" <oolon@y...> wrote:
          > I had a fine time at the W7DX Field Day this year running cw with
          > N1MM and thought I would use it for tomorrow's IARU contest. So I
          > pulled out my TRLog cable and hooked it up to the computer printer
          > port.
          >
          > But when I try to send cw (after checking the lpt1 box in the
          config
          > page) - it's not working. When I press F7 (and expect to hear a
          > question mark) I get 4 dahs. Hitting F1 (send CQ) gets a bunch of
          > dahs. No dits. The paddle (hooked through a splitter at the key
          > jack) works fine.
          >
          > I've looked around in the documentation, online, and on this forum
          > but haven't found whether my TRLog cable (which I thought was
          pretty
          > standard) would work with N1MM. Do I need to make a new cable?
          > Something else?
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks and 73, Jack, WA0RJY (K7ED in contests)
        • ne4z
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2012
            I have a cw interface I built from schematics I found online. I have been successful in getting this to key N3FPJ contest software using a usb-serial adapter by selecting the correct com port and RTS. When I try it with N1MM all I get is random dits and dahs. In the configure window I have DTR set to CW and RTS set to PTT. Is there something I am overlooking or any suggestions that may help me figure this out?

            Thanks
            Mike - NT7R
          • Dave Rozzana
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2012
              Mike,
              Try DTR=CW, RTS=Always Off
              Your rig will control PTT, as it would do if you had a key plugged in.

              Dave, N6PZ

              To: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
              From: ne4z@...
              Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 05:26:07 +0000
              Subject: [N1MM] CW Interface

              I have a cw interface I built from schematics I found online. I have been successful in getting this to key N3FPJ contest software using a usb-serial adapter by selecting the correct com port and RTS. When I try it with N1MM all I get is random dits and dahs. In the configure window I have DTR set to CW and RTS set to PTT. Is there something I am overlooking or any suggestions that may help me figure this out?

              Thanks

              Mike - NT7R

            • N7mal
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2012
                My settings are on COM3:
                DTR=CW RTS=ALWAYS OFF X=1 RADIO=1
                THE OTHER 2 SETTINGS ARE NONE

                MAL
                N7MAL
                BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
                http://www.n7mal.com
                Everyone in the world is
                entitled to be burdened
                by my opinion

                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2012
                  Well I figured out the problem. The cable I am using was wired to pins 4 and 7 on a DB9. Come to find out it needed to be wired to pins 4 and 5. Thanks for the replies and recommendations.

                  Mike - NT7R