RE: [N1MM] Dupe call doesn't disappear in Call Window

    Message 1 of 15 , May 31 7:35 PM
      Hi Art,

      I believe that is the way it has always worked in the RUN mode, all versions. You have to manually
      clear the call entry window. But if you QSY after entering the dupe, MM will clear the call entry
      window, provided you have "QSYing wipes the call..." checked in the config.

      It might be a nice feature to have though. Maybe a macro could be added and put in the QSO B4
      message to clear the call entry window. I looked to see if one already existed, but found none.

      Thanks for the WPX qso.

      73, Ted W4NZ

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
        You need to check "Work dupes" in Config|Function Keys. It still won't
        work them in S&P mode but will when running. The dupe call should be
        wiped, however, and it doesn't. Entered as a bug.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
          As someone who never uses QSO B4 I hadn't noticed how it was before. A
          macro would be a neat-enough way to do it, but I don't see any utility to
          retaining the callsign in Run mode at all, so why not have the software
          just do an Alt-W equivalent in that situation?

          73, Pete

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
            I've used it some. Going back to version 3, don't recall it ever wiping the call in the run mode. I
            agree that there is no value in retaining the dupe call in the call entry window.

            The reason for suggesting a macro, it gives a little more user control. For instance, I sometimes
            put "QSO B4?" in F6 and wait for the caller to tell me if I'm actually in his log. An auto-wipe
            would negate this. But, then if I'm not in his log, I have to use an alt+enter to force MM to log
            it. I can live with it either way.

            So, maybe this should be a feature request instead of a bug? ie. If "Work Dupes" is UNCHECKED, then
            playing the "QSO B4" message (F6) clears a dupe call from the entry window.

            73, Ted W4NZ

            |As someone who never uses QSO B4 I hadn't noticed how it was before. A
            |macro would be a neat-enough way to do it, but I don't see any utility to
            |retaining the callsign in Run mode at all, so why not have the software
            |just do an Alt-W equivalent in that situation?
            |
            |73, Pete
            |
            |At 10:35 PM 5/31/2005, you wrote:
            |>Hi Art,
            |>
            |>I believe that is the way it has always worked in the RUN mode, all
            |>versions. You have to manually
            |>clear the call entry window. But if you QSY after entering the dupe, MM
            |>will clear the call entry
            |>window, provided you have "QSYing wipes the call..." checked in the config.
            |>
            |>It might be a nice feature to have though. Maybe a macro could be added
            |>and put in the QSO B4
            |>message to clear the call entry window. I looked to see if one already
            |>existed, but found none.
            |>
            |>Thanks for the WPX qso.
            |>
            |>73, Ted W4NZ

            |>|
            |>|
            |>|Hi Folks,
            |>|
            |>|Used 5.096 for the CW WPX. Worked very well, EXCEPT when I entered a Dupe
            |>|call, the Worked B4 message would be sent. However, the call would remain
            |>in the
            |>|call window in a grey color. And when I'd hit the ENTER key to start another
            |>|CQ, the same Worked B4 message would be sent.
            |>|
            |>|The only way to eliminate this was to hit ALT-W to wipe out the call from the
            |>|window. Then I could hit ENTER and the F1 message would be sent.
            |>|
            |>|I don't recall this being the SOP in 4.097.
            |>|
            |>|Any suggestions?
            |>|
            |>|I'm running this in Windows 98 second edition with 264 meg RAM.
            |>|
            |>|Also, how do I get to the N1MM archives?
            |>|
            |>|Thanks for your help!
            |>|
            |>|de Art KZ5D
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|To unsubscribe, send an email to:
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|Yahoo! Groups Links
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|
            |>|

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
              Good idea.

              73, Pete

              At 09:17 AM 6/1/2005, you wrote:
              >I've used it some. Going back to version 3, don't recall it ever wiping
              >the call in the run mode. I
              >agree that there is no value in retaining the dupe call in the call entry
              >window.
              >
              >The reason for suggesting a macro, it gives a little more user control.
              >For instance, I sometimes
              >put "QSO B4?" in F6 and wait for the caller to tell me if I'm actually in
              >his log. An auto-wipe
              >would negate this. But, then if I'm not in his log, I have to use an
              >alt+enter to force MM to log
              >it. I can live with it either way.
              >
              >So, maybe this should be a feature request instead of a bug? ie. If "Work
              >Dupes" is UNCHECKED, then
              >playing the "QSO B4" message (F6) clears a dupe call from the entry window.
              >

              >73, Ted W4NZ

            • KEN SILVERMAN
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                I'm not sure I agree it's a good idea.

                If I call W4NZ, and he says I'm a dupe, but I don't have him in my log what happens? My callsign has already been wiped from W4NZ's Entry Window. I tell W4NZ that he's not in my log. He relents and says OK, and I send him my exchange. But will W4NZ remember my callsign? Might be easy to remember K2KW, but not some unknown 2x3 callsign. How does NZ log my call? Ted surely can't use ESM to log me. If Ted has Auto Send turned on, he types my callsign, and MM automatically sends QSO before, no?

                I think this needs more thought, or I am missing something.

                Kenny K2KW
                >I've used it some. Going back to version 3, don't recall it ever wiping
                >the call in the run mode. I
                >agree that there is no value in retaining the dupe call in the call entry
                >window.
                >
                >The reason for suggesting a macro, it gives a little more user control.
                >For instance, I sometimes
                >put "QSO B4?" in F6 and wait for the caller to tell me if I'm actually in
                >his log. An auto-wipe
                >would negate this. But, then if I'm not in his log, I have to use an
                >alt+enter to force MM to log
                >it. I can live with it either way.
                >
                >So, maybe this should be a feature request instead of a bug? ie. If "Work
                >Dupes" is UNCHECKED, then
                >playing the "QSO B4" message (F6) clears a dupe call from the entry window.
                >

                >73, Ted W4NZ

              • Richard Ferch
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                  It seems to me that if you insist on not working dupes while running
                  the current behaviour where it leaves the call sign in the entry box
                  may be best. Having to press Alt-W is the price you pay for keeping
                  the choice open of not working him if you both agree it's a dupe, or
                  of working him if he says you are not in his log, which you
                  definitely want to do to avoid a penalty for the earlier NIL contact.

                  But it seems so much easier, quicker and safer to do as Pete does
                  and just work the dupe without stopping to think about it (i.e.
                  check the "Work Dupes" box). As I understand it, you don't get
                  dinged for dupes in electronic logs, only for NILs and bad QSOs, in
                  which case why strain so hard to avoid dupes?

                  73,
                  Rich VE3IAY

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Kenny and all,

                    First, all this assumes that the "WORK DUPES" in the config is UNCHECKED.

                    In the example, if you call me and if MM thinks I've logged you before, your call (or the one MM
                    thinks is yours) is shown with a yellow background in the lower pane of the log window. I can then
                    look, re-enter the call, add your exchange info then use Alt+Enter to force MM to log it.

                    I believe you are correct about AutoSend though, it would re-send the qso b4-F6 message and wipe the
                    call. This is why I was originally thinking that an auto-wipe macro may work. It would give
                    operators the choice, use auto-wipe but not at the same time as autosend or use autosend and
                    manually clear a dupe.

                    Art,KZ5D had expressed an interest in having the software automatically wipe a dupe from the entry
                    window. Thought that was worth a discussion.

                    What I usually do is somewhat like Pete and Rich. It's outlined (way)below, so I won't repeat here.

                    73, Ted

                    |It seems to me that if you insist on not working dupes while running
                    |the current behaviour where it leaves the call sign in the entry box
                    |may be best. Having to press Alt-W is the price you pay for keeping
                    |the choice open of not working him if you both agree it's a dupe, or
                    |of working him if he says you are not in his log, which you
                    |definitely want to do to avoid a penalty for the earlier NIL contact.
                    |
                    |But it seems so much easier, quicker and safer to do as Pete does
                    |and just work the dupe without stopping to think about it (i.e.
                    |check the "Work Dupes" box). As I understand it, you don't get
                    |dinged for dupes in electronic logs, only for NILs and bad QSOs, in
                    |which case why strain so hard to avoid dupes?
                    |
                    |73,
                    |Rich VE3IAY

                    |--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "KEN SILVERMAN" <k2kw@p...> wrote:
                    |> I'm not sure I agree it's a good idea.
                    |>
                    |> If I call W4NZ, and he says I'm a dupe, but I don't have him in my
                    |log what happens? My callsign has already been wiped from W4NZ's
                    |Entry Window. I tell W4NZ that he's not in my log. He relents and
                    |says OK, and I send him my exchange. But will W4NZ remember my
                    |callsign? Might be easy to remember K2KW, but not some unknown 2x3
                    |callsign. How does NZ log my call? Ted surely can't use ESM to log
                    |me. If Ted has Auto Send turned on, he types my callsign, and MM
                    |automatically sends QSO before, no?
                    |>
                    |> I think this needs more thought, or I am missing something.
                    |>
                    |> Kenny K2KW

                    |> >|
                    |> >|
                    |before. A
                    |utility to
                    |software
                    |> >|
                    |> >|

                    |mode, all
                    |the dupe, MM
                    |in the config.

                    |could be added
                    |one already

                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |entered a Dupe
                    |would remain
                    |to start
                    |> >another
                    |> >|>|
                    |the call
                    |> >from the
                    |sent.
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |RAM.
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|
                    |> >|>|

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                      The only contest I know where it MIGHT make sense to refuse to work dupes
                      is CW Sweepstakes with its long exchange -- any other you just spend more
                      time arguing than you would spend just working 'im again.

                      73, Pete

                    • Rex Maner
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                        The way I read this is that the CQ station tht sends QSO B-4 would
                        probably not log the Q but let the previous one count. BIG PROBLEM in
                        SS where the checking goes to check QSO nr etc: Does WPX confirm
                        that SN's match. They should. Gotta work them DUPES.
                        Quack:

                      • Rex Maner
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                          I think that the idea of not putting dupes in comes from the days of
                          Paper logs where the log sheet had 40 Q's and it was a lot easier to
                          figure the score if there were no Zero pointers.
                          I can rember not putting K4's in the log because I already had 1 or 2 of
                          them and it took extra time to put them on the dupe sheet and own
                          country counted only for Prefix in WPX and only ZONE in CQWW.
                          Its much faster to just enter them with the logging today and not be the
                          purist of old. Just make sure that you get the call correct in the
                          log. I've had OP's tell me that Q was at such a time and when I've
                          checked there is the Q with 1 letter incorrect.
                          The problem will never go away, Just log um is the fastest today. EVEN
                          IN SS most of the time.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                            So how many times do you work the same guy before you say, "Enough, we've worked already!"?? :))

                            73,Ted
                            ps. this occurs more often than arguements, my last comments on dupes, we're a little off course.

                            |The only contest I know where it MIGHT make sense to refuse to work dupes
                            |is CW Sweepstakes with its long exchange -- any other you just spend more
                            |time arguing than you would spend just working 'im again.
                            |
                            |73, Pete
                            |
                            |At 01:55 PM 6/1/2005, you wrote:
                            |>It seems to me that if you insist on not working dupes while running
                            |>the current behaviour where it leaves the call sign in the entry box
                            |>may be best. Having to press Alt-W is the price you pay for keeping
                            |>the choice open of not working him if you both agree it's a dupe, or
                            |>of working him if he says you are not in his log, which you
                            |>definitely want to do to avoid a penalty for the earlier NIL contact.
                            |>
                            |>But it seems so much easier, quicker and safer to do as Pete does
                            |>and just work the dupe without stopping to think about it (i.e.
                            |>check the "Work Dupes" box). As I understand it, you don't get
                            |>dinged for dupes in electronic logs, only for NILs and bad QSOs, in
                            |>which case why strain so hard to avoid dupes?
                            |>
                            |>73,
                            |>Rich VE3IAY
                            |>

                            |>--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "KEN SILVERMAN" <k2kw@p...> wrote:
                            |> > I'm not sure I agree it's a good idea.
                            |> >
                            |> > If I call W4NZ, and he says I'm a dupe, but I don't have him in my
                            |>log what happens? My callsign has already been wiped from W4NZ's
                            |>Entry Window. I tell W4NZ that he's not in my log. He relents and
                            |>says OK, and I send him my exchange. But will W4NZ remember my
                            |>callsign? Might be easy to remember K2KW, but not some unknown 2x3
                            |>callsign. How does NZ log my call? Ted surely can't use ESM to log
                            |>me. If Ted has Auto Send turned on, he types my callsign, and MM
                            |>automatically sends QSO before, no?
                            |> >
                            |> > I think this needs more thought, or I am missing something.
                            |> >
                            |> > Kenny K2KW

                            |> > >|
                            |> > >|
                            |>before. A
                            |>utility to
                            |>software
                            |> > >|
                            |> > >|

                            |>mode, all
                            |>the dupe, MM
                            |>in the config.

                            |>could be added
                            |>one already

                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |>entered a Dupe
                            |>would remain
                            |>to start
                            |> > >|>|
                            |>the call
                            |>sent.
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |>RAM.
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            |> > >|>|
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                              If you leave F6 programmed to say "QSO B4" AND you check "Work
                              Dupes", you can have it both ways - pressing Enter will just work
                              the guy, but if he has called you so often you are getting annoyed
                              you can just press F6 instead of Enter. Of course, you also have
                              both choices available when "Work Dupes" is unchecked, the question
                              is simply which do you prefer as the default "no pausing to think,
                              just press Enter" behaviour. Isn't it great to have software that's
                              so versatile that you can have things both ways?

                              Anyway, the original question was whether there should be an "auto-
                              wipe" feature for those who prefer not to work dupes. Following
                              Kenny's logic, it would seem safer to leave the call sign there to
                              prevent the problems he described, at the cost of having to hit Alt-
                              W when the dupe just goes away after you send F6. If the automatic
                              action were auto-wipe, then on those occasions when the previous
                              contact was not in his log and you actually did want to work him you
                              could find yourself in the difficulties Kenny has described.

                              73,
                              Rich VE3IAY

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                                Rich said: "...Isn't it great to have software that's so versatile that you can have things both
                                ways?..."

                                ABSOLUTELY!!!

                                Ted W4NZ

                                |If you leave F6 programmed to say "QSO B4" AND you check "Work
                                |Dupes", you can have it both ways - pressing Enter will just work
                                |the guy, but if he has called you so often you are getting annoyed
                                |you can just press F6 instead of Enter. Of course, you also have
                                |both choices available when "Work Dupes" is unchecked, the question
                                |is simply which do you prefer as the default "no pausing to think,
                                |just press Enter" behaviour. Isn't it great to have software that's
                                |so versatile that you can have things both ways?
                                |
                                |Anyway, the original question was whether there should be an "auto-
                                |wipe" feature for those who prefer not to work dupes. Following
                                |Kenny's logic, it would seem safer to leave the call sign there to
                                |prevent the problems he described, at the cost of having to hit Alt-
                                |W when the dupe just goes away after you send F6. If the automatic
                                |action were auto-wipe, then on those occasions when the previous
                                |contact was not in his log and you actually did want to work him you
                                |could find yourself in the difficulties Kenny has described.
                                |
                                |73,
                                |Rich VE3IAY

                                |--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@c...> wrote:
                                |> So how many times do you work the same guy before you
                                |say, "Enough, we've worked already!"?? :))
                                |>
                                |> 73,Ted
                                |> ps. this occurs more often than arguements, my last comments on
                                |dupes, we're a little off course.

                                |> |
                                |> |
                                |> |The only contest I know where it MIGHT make sense to refuse to
                                |work dupes
                                |> |is CW Sweepstakes with its long exchange -- any other you just
                                |spend more
                                |> |time arguing than you would spend just working 'im again.
                                |> |
                                |> |73, Pete
                                |> |
                                |running