Re: Intermittant Reboot When using USB to Serail Adapter

  • rolloatwerk
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Brian Kassel <K7RE@a...> wrote:
      > Folks:
      > I added a Belkin F5U-409 USB to serial adapter to my desktop PC
      > running XP, and have encountered intermittent reboots every 10-20
      > minutes ONLY while N1MM version 4.0.107 is running.

      You're having better luck than I did with the F5U. I couldn't keep my
      computer running for more than 5 minutes at a time. No matter what
      program was trying to use the serial port.

      *AFTER* I bought the F5U, while trying to troubleshoot it, I did a lot
      of Googling (bad move to not do it before, huh?) and found dozens of
      other people who were having the same experience. The drivers, at
      least for Win2K Pro, are terrible. Worse yet, they haven't been
      updated in YEARS (check the date on the driver in the "updated driver"
      zip from Belkin).

      I took mine back to Circuit City. Fortunately they gave me my money
      back without the restocking fee so I was only out my time. I ended up
      getting my extra serial ports via a PCI card for about $30. Of
      course, if you're using a notebook computer, this option might not be
      for you.

      I'd seriously look around for a different USB/Serial adapter.
    • Peter Laws
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, rolloatwerk wrote:

        -> back without the restocking fee so I was only out my time. I ended up
        -> getting my extra serial ports via a PCI card for about $30. Of

        I can't find a PCI serial port card for under $49 ... where did you find
        one for $30?

        --
        Peter Laws | plaws plaws net | "They that can give up essential Liberty to
        obtain a little temporary safety deserve
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Peter Laws <plaws@p...> wrote:

          > I can't find a PCI serial port card for under $49 ... where did you
          find
          > one for $30?

          At a local computer store. The box had dust all over it.
          I think they were happy to get rid of it -- hadn't sold one in years.

          But they're on the internet too -- look here for example:

          http://www.provantage.com/buy-22057178-startech-computer-parts-i-o-
          cards-serial-shopping.htm
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
            At 11:33 AM 9/1/2004, Peter Laws wrote:

            >On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, rolloatwerk wrote:
            >
            >-> back without the restocking fee so I was only out my time. I ended up
            >-> getting my extra serial ports via a PCI card for about $30. Of
            >
            >I can't find a PCI serial port card for under $49 ... where did you find
            >one for $30?
            >
            >--
            >Peter Laws | plaws plaws net | "They that can give up essential Liberty to
            > obtain a little temporary safety deserve
            > neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin

            www.tigerdirect.com

            just a mostly satisfied customer

            73, Pete N4ZR
            The World HF Contest Station Database
            was updated on August 2, 2004
            2753 contest stations at
            www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
          • Tom Homewood
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
              www.byterunner.com

              Another place to look.

              Recently someone suggested that eBay had lots of them.

              Tom, W1TO

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
                On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Tom Homewood wrote:

                -> www.byterunner.com
                ->
                -> Another place to look.
                ->
                -> Recently someone suggested that eBay had lots of them.

                Yes, as noted over on the RTTY list, a bulk retailer on eBay has many of
                what appear to be 4-port cards. However, it those cards seem have One Big
                Connector and a "fan-out" cable. It's not clear from the eBay posting if
                the card includes the cable. Email to the seller went unanswered.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2004
                  I took a look yesterday on eBay too. I was mainly looking at the two port cards. Most were new in a box and had the supplier identified. The buy now prices were around $12 with shipping and handling on top of that. Shipping varied widely from seller to seller. The sellers I looked at had very good satisfaction ratings.

                  The cards I looked at appeared to have two discrete connectors.

                  73, Tom, W1TO

                  Peter Laws <plaws@...> wrote:
                  On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Tom Homewood wrote:

                  -> www.byterunner.com
                  ->
                  -> Another place to look.
                  ->
                  -> Recently someone suggested that eBay had lots of them.

                  Yes, as noted over on the RTTY list, a bulk retailer on eBay has many of
                  what appear to be 4-port cards. However, it those cards seem have One Big
                  Connector and a "fan-out" cable. It's not clear from the eBay posting if
                  the card includes the cable. Email to the seller went unanswered.

                  --
                  Peter Laws | plaws plaws net | "They that can give up essential Liberty to
                  obtain a little temporary safety deserve
                  neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin

                • N2AMG
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2004
                    I have for sale a Lava Dual Port 9pin Serial Card. I bought this on Ebay
                    last week total cost $16.00 After I got the card I found the compatibility
                    chart and found that it is not compatable with my 2 motherboards.

                    Here is the link that has the info and drivers for the card:
                    http://www.lavalink.com/techsupport/serial/sup_dserial_pci.html

                    Here is the compatability chart Please look to make sure it will work before
                    buying it like I did..

                    http://www.lavalink.com/techsupport/support_hardware_incompat.html

                    All I want is what I spent on it $16.00

                    73's Rick N2AMG