IP addresses

  • Steve Bunting
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 12:33 AM
      Guys,

      I am no computer whiz, but I have a network set up for m/m logger with 6
      PCs on it. My router is set for dynamic IP addresses and I have had no
      problems. Once all the PCs are on, I do an ipconfig on each
      machine. Then I cross match the IP addresses with the stations. This
      isn't too hard to do, especially as I have only set it once and every
      time I restart the network, the machines seems to be allocated the same
      IP addresses. Each machine used the same network card (ie MAC
      address) each time, so perhaps this has something to do with it? A quick
      test would be to swap some network cards around, but with Reg 1 FD next
      weekend, I think I'll leave it..

      73
      Steve
      M0BPQ
    • Didier Juges
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4 6:16 PM
        I believe this thread started because someone wanted to run multi-user N1MM
        on a DHCP network, and the sysadmin did not want to give them fixed IPs.

        I have used fixed IP addresses even on DHCP networks quite successfully, if
        not always with full consent or admiration from the sysadmin. Most DHCP
        servers I am familiar with (Windows, Linux, Linksys and Netgear routers in
        their residential products) will start assigning addresses from the lowest
        number in the range and up. If there are much fewer machines than addresses
        in the DHCP pool, you can use the addresses at the top of the range as
        fixed addresses. Ask your network administrator for the DHCP address range.

        The DHCP server most likely has a limited range (compared to the full class
        C network address range), to allow fixed IPs for network printers and file
        servers anyhow.

        As long as you pick an address that is not likely to be assigned by the
        server, you should be OK.

        I know most sysadmins like DHCP because they do not want to deal with the
        administration of fixed addresses, but they should let you use fixed
        addresses as long as there is no risk of interference with the DHCP server.

        Regarding home routers, I have both a Linksys and a Netgear, and both will
        reassign the same address, even if computers are turned on and off in
        random sequence. They obviously keep track of the MAC addresses.

        73,
        Didier KO4BB

        At 02:33 AM 6/1/2004, you wrote:
        >Guys,
        >
        >I am no computer whiz, but I have a network set up for m/m logger with 6
        >PCs on it. My router is set for dynamic IP addresses and I have had no
        >problems. Once all the PCs are on, I do an ipconfig on each
        >machine. Then I cross match the IP addresses with the stations. This
        >isn't too hard to do, especially as I have only set it once and every
        >time I restart the network, the machines seems to be allocated the same
        >IP addresses. Each machine used the same network card (ie MAC
        >address) each time, so perhaps this has something to do with it? A quick
        >test would be to swap some network cards around, but with Reg 1 FD next
        >weekend, I think I'll leave it..
        >
        >73
        >Steve
        >M0BPQ
        >

        >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Wagner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5 5:05 AM
          This looks like a good idea for the cases where the
          computer name fix I put in happens not to work.

          Anyone test the computer name fix in 4.0.35? Start
          by changing one computer's ip address to a name on
          one other computer. Ip addresses & computer names
          can be mixed/matched, so long as they are all correct.
          They are just converted to ip addresses. I added
          the computer name to the status messages to help with
          debugging in 4.0.36.

          If there is a networking whiz out there, I'm having a
          problem with GetHostName where I get a name back like

          xyzzy.snet.net. What I need is xyzzy. For now, I am
          discarding ".snet.net". Anyone fill me in on this?

          73,
          Tom

          At 02:33 AM 6/1/2004, you wrote:
          >Guys,
          >
          >I am no computer whiz, but I have a network set up for m/m logger with 6
          >PCs on it. My router is set for dynamic IP addresses and I have had no
          >problems. Once all the PCs are on, I do an ipconfig on each
          >machine. Then I cross match the IP addresses with the stations. This
          >isn't too hard to do, especially as I have only set it once and every
          >time I restart the network, the machines seems to be allocated the same
          >IP addresses. Each machine used the same network card (ie MAC
          >address) each time, so perhaps this has something to do with it? A quick
          >test would be to swap some network cards around, but with Reg 1 FD next
          >weekend, I think I'll leave it..
          >
          >73
          >Steve
          >M0BPQ
          >

          >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Robbins K1TTT
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5 5:30 AM
            Try playing with control panel/system properties/computer
            name/change/more. Try unchecking the box for changing primary dns
            suffix and put in the specific one you want in the manual entry box...
            or leave it blank and see what happens. You may not want to try to
            specify this as it may be required on some networks depending on the dns
            server and the specific mix of os's and router and isp. You may want to
            make a tiny test app to have a bunch of people run and see what you get
            back on different network configurations to figure out how many
            variations there may be...

            and don't just look at pc os's... for instance, right now I am on my old
            backup 3com isdn router, it has pretty lame dns and lan routing and
            doesn't know how to route k1ttt.net back to the lan side. My Nortel one
            that is out for repair does good dns and can properly route k1ttt.net
            back to my server. So right now 'www.k1ttt.net' won't resolve
            internally, I have to use the raw ip. It may also change depending on
            the state of netbios on the machines, if netbios is disabled you may
            need the full machine.domain.root format for dns to resolve the ip. with
            netbios windows may short circuit that and get the ip internally from
            the network browser service. Right now I can't ping k1ttt.net
            internally, with the Nortel router I can.. but if I do nbtstat -c it has
            the node machine name and ip.

            But don't take my word for it, I have never been properly schooled in
            all the nuances of dns/wins and how they interact with netbios and
            routers... I just know how to make them work when I need to.

            David Robbins K1TTT
            e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
            web: http://www.k1ttt.net

          • Tom Wagner
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5 5:51 AM
              Dave --

              www.k1ttt.net resolves just fine here. Actually, if
              you put in www.k1ttt.net, it will resolve to the
              ip address, then get converted back to the dns name,
              and it becomes k1ttt.net. This is fine.

              The issue is that if I put xyzzy as a local name in my
              pc, it resolves correctly to 192.168.0.4. When that
              name is converted back to a computer name, it becomes
              xyzzy.snet.net. If I put xyzzy.snet.net in, it does
              NOT resolve to 192.168.0.4. This will be
              confusing to users.

              Maybe I should just show the first token of the computer
              name if the ip address resolves to 192 (or other local
              lan address).

              This is how what should be simple things become complicated.

              73,
              Tom

              Try playing with control panel/system properties/computer
              name/change/more. Try unchecking the box for changing primary dns
              suffix and put in the specific one you want in the manual entry box...
              or leave it blank and see what happens. You may not want to try to
              specify this as it may be required on some networks depending on the dns
              server and the specific mix of os's and router and isp. You may want to
              make a tiny test app to have a bunch of people run and see what you get
              back on different network configurations to figure out how many
              variations there may be...

              and don't just look at pc os's... for instance, right now I am on my old
              backup 3com isdn router, it has pretty lame dns and lan routing and
              doesn't know how to route k1ttt.net back to the lan side. My Nortel one
              that is out for repair does good dns and can properly route k1ttt.net
              back to my server. So right now 'www.k1ttt.net' won't resolve
              internally, I have to use the raw ip. It may also change depending on
              the state of netbios on the machines, if netbios is disabled you may
              need the full machine.domain.root format for dns to resolve the ip. with
              netbios windows may short circuit that and get the ip internally from
              the network browser service. Right now I can't ping k1ttt.net
              internally, with the Nortel router I can.. but if I do nbtstat -c it has
              the node machine name and ip.

              But don't take my word for it, I have never been properly schooled in
              all the nuances of dns/wins and how they interact with netbios and
              routers... I just know how to make them work when I need to.

              David Robbins K1TTT
              e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
              web: http://www.k1ttt.net

            • David Robbins K1TTT
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5 7:04 AM
                Yes, outside www.k1ttt.net should resolve just fine, that is handled by
                the internet dns. However when that is resolved by a machine on my lan
                it gets the external ip address and the router doesn't know how to get
                that back to the internal machine that handles the service.

                And yes, it can be confusing trying to figure out how to resolve names.
                With windows there are a couple layers of name resolution besides the
                'normal' dns. And even not all dns is created equal. You may actually
                have to do something like this:
                1. if given something in dotted format like k1ttt-1.k1ttt.net try to
                resolve as is and if that works(it gives an ip that you can connect to)
                run with it... this would cover fully qualified names in the event they
                are needed to get between networks for distributed multi-ops, or also
                for lan's that provide proper dns support.
                2. if #1 doesn't work, try just k1ttt-1 and see if that resolves to an
                ip that works. This should cover wins and netbios resolutions in
                networks without local dns or where the dns is broken like mine is now.
                3. if #2 doesn't work try getting the local domain name from the machine
                and appending that to the machine name and see if that resolves. This
                gets back to #1 where the user didn't fill in the full domain path.

                There is one other thing that may mess up ip resolution. The case where
                the logger is running on a multi-homed machine... i.e. a machine with a
                dialup connection and a lan connection that is running something like
                ICS or another connection sharing app. Ct has trouble with that as
                there is no way to specify which interface the network is on, hopefully
                that won't be a problem in this where actual connections are made
                between machines. But it may confuse the name resolution process.

                In any case you should always keep the option available to put in the
                specific ip addresses directly.

                Again, it would still be good to have someone who knows all the ins and
                outs of name to ip resolution go over these options.

                Here is some info on how names are resolved, it's a bit old but is a
                start:
                http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172218

                To see how many ways it can screw up see this list:
                http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Queryc=ip+address+resol
                ution&Query=ip+address+resolution&srch=sup&catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3D
                EN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&n
                umDays=&MaxResults=25&srchstep=1&InCC_hdn=true&querySource=gASr_Query

              • Tom Wagner
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5 7:37 AM
                  Ok. I added #2. I can't spend any more time right now on this.
                  Hopefully this will satisfy most users. It is certainly better than
                  when only ip addresses were allowed.

                  Here is the algorithm:

                  1. If an address in valid ip format is entered, it is used.
                  2. If a non-ip format name is entered, I attempt to convert it to an ip
                  address via gethostbyname.
                  3. If #2 fails, I pull out the first name delimited by ".", and try
                  gethostbyname with that.

                  If the above does not yield a valid ip address the connection will fail to
                  connect.

                  The status will show the ip address used and what gethostname shows for it's
                  ip address. NOTE gethostname will not always yield a name that can be
                  translated back to the original ip address.

                  Recommendation: Try computer name as shown in Control Panel/System/Computer
                  Name. Start with the first part of the name (delimited by "."). If this
                  works, it should provide the most stable operation. If this does not work,
                  try the full computer name, and then the ip address as determined by using
                  the command prompt command: ipconfig.

                  Aren't computers fun?

                  73,
                  Tom

                  the internet dns. However when that is resolved by a machine on my lan
                  it gets the external ip address and the router doesn't know how to get
                  that back to the internal machine that handles the service.

                  And yes, it can be confusing trying to figure out how to resolve names.
                  With windows there are a couple layers of name resolution besides the
                  'normal' dns. And even not all dns is created equal. You may actually
                  have to do something like this:
                  1. if given something in dotted format like k1ttt-1.k1ttt.net try to
                  resolve as is and if that works(it gives an ip that you can connect to)
                  run with it... this would cover fully qualified names in the event they
                  are needed to get between networks for distributed multi-ops, or also
                  for lan's that provide proper dns support.
                  2. if #1 doesn't work, try just k1ttt-1 and see if that resolves to an
                  ip that works. This should cover wins and netbios resolutions in
                  networks without local dns or where the dns is broken like mine is now.
                  3. if #2 doesn't work try getting the local domain name from the machine
                  and appending that to the machine name and see if that resolves. This
                  gets back to #1 where the user didn't fill in the full domain path.

                  There is one other thing that may mess up ip resolution. The case where
                  the logger is running on a multi-homed machine... i.e. a machine with a
                  dialup connection and a lan connection that is running something like
                  ICS or another connection sharing app. Ct has trouble with that as
                  there is no way to specify which interface the network is on, hopefully
                  that won't be a problem in this where actual connections are made
                  between machines. But it may confuse the name resolution process.

                  In any case you should always keep the option available to put in the
                  specific ip addresses directly.

                  Again, it would still be good to have someone who knows all the ins and
                  outs of name to ip resolution go over these options.

                  Here is some info on how names are resolved, it's a bit old but is a
                  start:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172218

                  To see how many ways it can screw up see this list:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Queryc=ip+address+resol
                  ution&Query=ip+address+resolution&srch=sup&catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3D
                  EN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&n
                  umDays=&MaxResults=25&srchstep=1&InCC_hdn=true&querySource=gASr_Query

                  David Robbins K1TTT
                  e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                  web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                • pa5dd