Re: [N1MMLogger] SSB wav files

  • John
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
      When a callsign is displayed as "unique" is it added to the list of 'known'
      calls ?? if not, is it possible to do this ??

      John - vk4cej
    • ha2vr
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 26, 2005
        Thanks for all the help. Finally the problem has been solved. SO2R/V
        settings were improper in V5. Output was muted.

        73!

        Gyuszi
      • drabant
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
          Hi all, as a dedicated rtty user I havn't had much experience in
          setting up for an SSB contest but thought to give the REF a try. I've
          made the wav files and it seems to work ok apart from sometimes when I
          send the exchange, the previous wav file plays again (sort of one step
          behind so to say). The ssb section in the manual is very scant so if
          anyone has a function key setup they could send me so I could compare
          mine with an experienced user in ssb I would be grateful. A couple of
          questions:
          In order to repeat the last callers number after it has been logged,
          what does one enter in the wav fileline?
          When I play the wav files, I can only get left speaker in my
          headphones. The program automatically tunes the balance to the left,
          presumably I am doing something wrong in the setup for this, ideas?
          In an ssb contest does it have to be the operators voice that is used
          or can one use some(one)thing else such as computer generated voices?
          My dulcet tones do not lend themselves to audio freqency very well or
          is it just a case of turning up the processor :-)
          Once again I have downloaded 6.2.6 butit will not run, I get a NSIS
          warning that the installer is corrupt, help here?
          73 David 5b4age
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
            At 03:40 AM 2/15/2006, 5B4AGE wrote:
            >Hi all, as a dedicated rtty user I havn't had much experience in
            >setting up for an SSB contest but thought to give the REF a try. I've
            >made the wav files and it seems to work ok apart from sometimes when I
            >send the exchange, the previous wav file plays again (sort of one step
            >behind so to say). The ssb section in the manual is very scant so if
            >anyone has a function key setup they could send me so I could compare
            >mine with an experienced user in ssb I would be grateful. A couple of
            >questions:
            >In order to repeat the last callers number after it has been logged,
            >what does one enter in the wav fileline?

            Simply hitting the "=" key will replay the last message, whatever it was.

            If you are using the computer to voice serial numbers, then you can program a key like mine -
            C:\program Files\MM Beta\letters\#. This assumes that you have a full set of letters and numbers loaded into the \letters directory. There are a couple of sets of sample letter/number files on the web site that you can experiment with.

            Right now there seems to be a small bug in this functionality - if you have F5 programmed to voice the callsign in the callsign field (with C:\Program Files\MM Beta\letters\!), then the first time you press the function key to send the number you get one iteration of the callsign instead; the second time you get the number. Similarly, if you press F5, you get the number the first time; the second time you get the callsign. This also happens with other voiced messages, such as your call (normally F4); the first press you get the message from the previous key that you pressed, if it was voiced from the letters directory. The second press gets you the right message. If you use nothing but fixed, canned messages without voicing, you will not see this bug.

            >When I play the wav files, I can only get left speaker in my
            >headphones. The program automatically tunes the balance to the left,
            >presumably I am doing something wrong in the setup for this, ideas?

            Is this a problem? I think the program is simply choosing one channel for your stored audio messages, so that you know where to find them to pipe into your radio.

            >In an ssb contest does it have to be the operators voice that is used
            >or can one use some(one)thing else such as computer generated voices?
            >My dulcet tones do not lend themselves to audio freqency very well or
            >is it just a case of turning up the processor :-)

            Experiment with your processor. Using someone else's voice is a bad idea. It will confuse listeners under any but the most perfect no-QRM situations, who will think there's another station on the frequency. Depending on your radio, you may be able to adjust the filter bandpass to emphasize highs, lows, or whatever you need to make your voice get through better.

            >Once again I have downloaded 6.2.6 butit will not run, I get a NSIS
            >warning that the installer is corrupt, help here?

            All I can suggest is a re-download, as you did the last time, if I recall correctly. This seems like a problem with the integrity of the download, not the installer per se. The latest one is actually 6.2.4, which I just installed here without incident.

            73, Pete N4ZR
          • stewart_bakeruk
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 15, 2006
              David,

              The normal SSB .wav files work FB in N1MM, however there are at
              present a number of bugs (one logged) which prevent the voicing
              functions working correctly. I spent some time setting up individual
              files, but have put their use on hold until the problems are fixed.

              73
              Stewart G3RXQ

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "drabant" <david.barnes@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, as a dedicated rtty user I havn't had much experience in
              > setting up for an SSB contest but thought to give the REF a try. I've
              > made the wav files and it seems to work ok apart from sometimes when I
              > send the exchange, the previous wav file plays again (sort of one step
              > behind so to say). The ssb section in the manual is very scant so if
              > anyone has a function key setup they could send me so I could compare
              > mine with an experienced user in ssb I would be grateful. A couple of
              > questions:
              > In order to repeat the last callers number after it has been logged,
              > what does one enter in the wav fileline?
              > When I play the wav files, I can only get left speaker in my
              > headphones. The program automatically tunes the balance to the left,
              > presumably I am doing something wrong in the setup for this, ideas?
              > In an ssb contest does it have to be the operators voice that is used
              > or can one use some(one)thing else such as computer generated voices?
              > My dulcet tones do not lend themselves to audio freqency very well or
              > is it just a case of turning up the processor :-)
              > Once again I have downloaded 6.2.6 butit will not run, I get a NSIS
              > warning that the installer is corrupt, help here?
              > 73 David 5b4age

            • Tom Osborne
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                I've been playing with recording and using the .wav files. Here is what I
                came up with.
                wav\{operator}\nr.wav\#.wav\ssexchange.wav

                With '!' in F5, it will say the call, but won't get past the first .wav
                file. It says 'W7XYZ ur number-'-that's it.

                The nr.wav is 'ur number' so it should say "w7xyz ur number 1 u w7why 54
                oregon. But it will only play the first wav file, then stops. What am I
                doing wrong? Probably won't use the wav files, other than ssexchange.wav,
                but would like to make it work. 73
                Tom W7WHY
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                  MM is getting confused because you have "\#.wav" in the middle. The correct form is #, by itself, between the two wav filenames, without any spaces.

                  For example, my F2 is:

                  wav\number.wav#wav\ssexch.wav

                  beware filenames that have the letter combination "cq" anywhere in them - if you don't believe me, try it hi.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  At 12:21 AM 11/16/2006, Tom Osborne wrote:
                  >I've been playing with recording and using the .wav files. Here is what I
                  >came up with.
                  >wav\{operator}\nr.wav\#.wav\ssexchange.wav
                  >
                  >With '!' in F5, it will say the call, but won't get past the first .wav
                  >file. It says 'W7XYZ ur number-'-that's it.
                  >
                  >The nr.wav is 'ur number' so it should say "w7xyz ur number 1 u w7why 54
                  >oregon. But it will only play the first wav file, then stops. What am I
                  >doing wrong? Probably won't use the wav files, other than ssexchange.wav,
                  >but would like to make it work. 73
                  >Tom W7WHY
                  >

                  >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • N7BF
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                    Tom,

                    I know there are others that have answered, but I'm not sure they addressed
                    your question completely. Let me add a little on how I've found this stuff
                    to work.

                    Your macro that says ....... wav\{operator}\nr.wav\#.wav\ssexchange.wav
                    ......should probably read ..... wav\{operator}\nr.wav#wav\ssexchange.wav
                    ...... or maybe ..... wav\{operator}\nr.wav#wav\{operator}\ssexchange.wav
                    ........ depending on where the ssexchange.wav file is located.

                    Also I found that if I wanted to put two .wav files right after the other, I
                    have to separate them with a comma. Such as........

                    wav\{operator}\blank.wav,wav\{operator}\number.wav#

                    which would make a blank of a definite time length, then add my voice after
                    saying, "number", then will send the number of the contact. I really don't
                    like to use the word "number" in the exchange, but like in the CW SS I found
                    that some people seemed to copy better with less repeats if "nr" in CW was
                    used. I'd guess it got them thinking about, "here comes the number next" or
                    something.

                    I hope I didn't mess this up as I'm not typing from the computer that has
                    this stuff in it. I think I'll be sufficiently done with my cold where I
                    don't have to use all the letters and numbers, but I've been preparing in
                    case my voice doesn't hold out.

                    Something else I learned, I recorded a blank .wav file to make a space
                    between function keys, and named it "empty.wav". It didn't work. Evidently
                    the program doesn't like that name, and renaming it "blank.wav" made it
                    work. Hmmmmmm.

                    Alan - N7BF

                    > I've been playing with recording and using the .wav files. Here is what I
                    > came up with.
                    > wav\{operator}\nr.wav\#.wav\ssexchange.wav
                    >
                    > With '!' in F5, it will say the call, but won't get past the first .wav
                    > file. It says 'W7XYZ ur number-'-that's it.
                    >
                    > The nr.wav is 'ur number' so it should say "w7xyz ur number 1 u w7why 54
                    > oregon. But it will only play the first wav file, then stops. What am I
                    > doing wrong? Probably won't use the wav files, other than ssexchange.wav,
                    > but would like to make it work. 73
                    > Tom W7WHY
                  • Tom Osborne
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                      Hi Pete.

                      Glad your still hanging around :-) Also, Alan, N7BF, I cut and pasted your
                      macro and it works. Only problem is the number sounds weird when saying
                      'two two' instead of 22. Will probably just go with ssexchange.wav and
                      speak the call and number. But, it did work. Thanks guys. I have to work
                      Saturday so will be getting off to a late start.

                      Don't forget, there is NCCC SS practice tonight at 0330 till 0400. Time to
                      try out all those macros and find out where the RFI is. 73