Automatic QRZ Lookup

  • Didier Juges
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      I had free time last night while waiting to pickup my son from Band practice
      (at 1 AM !!!), so I wrote a little VB program to add name and address fields
      to an ADIF file that would not already have them.

      It works that way: You create an ADIF file from N1MMLogger (it sould work
      with any ADIF file). You process the ADIF file through my program, which
      adds the name and address fields from a QRZ lookup, then you import the
      output file to your logging program.

      IMPORTANT NOTES:
      1) Look at the version number: v0.0.1. That should tell you something.
      2) The program processes one line at a time, you have to click a button for
      each contact. I know it could be automatic, but I do not want to piss off
      the people at QRZ.com who provides such a great free service to the ham
      community. Having that level of minimum manual interaction provides a
      reasonable assurance (?) that QRZ's servers will not be overloaded.
      3) You can edit any of the NAME, ADDRESS or QSL_VIA fields before saving to
      the output file. The QSL_VIA is not normally populated from QRZ, but you can
      do that manually if the QSL info is in the address field.
      4) The output file has a different name from the input file so that your
      input file should not ber messed with, even if the program crashes. Please
      read disclaimer on my web page.
      5) The program skips records that already have an address field (puts them
      in the output file without querying QRZ). If a record only has a name field,
      it will be overwritten by what's received from QRZ.
      6) Because I did not get response from e-mails to QRZ, they may not like
      this. If it is the case, I will pull the program off.
      7) Because I did not get response from e-mails to QRZ, the program has to
      extract the data from an HTML page. If QRZ changes the HTML formatting, the
      program won't work and probably insert garbage in the output ADIF file.
      8) Did I say this was version 0.0.1? It was extensively tested, I ran
      several QSOs through it :-) Error checking is minimal to non-existant.
      9) The program saves the ADIF path to the registry, but does not restore it
      completely next time you run the program. That will be fixed eventually.
      10) There is no support, but I welcome constructive criticism. For those who
      ask, I will send the source code (VB 6.0) so you can fix the bugs yourself,
      but I will not send the code to anyone until I hear from QRZ, one way or
      another. I'll wait a week or so.
      11) This is my first VB 6.0 program, and it took about 4 hours to write, so
      if you don't like it, you have no excuse for not making a better one
      yourself.

      Download it from http://www.ko4bb.com/ham_radio/

      73,
      Didier/KO4BB