Re: [N1MM] CW Port / XP help

  • Franki @ ON5ZO.be
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
      Rich, there are several ways to tackle this problem...

      a) leave your laptop for what it is and look for a 2nd hand PC with LPT and some COM
      ports. A PII at 300MHz with 128MB RAM running Win98 should do the trick. Anything
      higher on the evolutionary ladder is better. I think this could be found somewhere
      around 250-300$?
      If you really want to stick to your laptop, there's always plan...

      b) I think the odds are slim that a USB-to-serial adapter will deliver nice CW. It'll
      work fine for rig control, but CW is a whole other question. If you want to be sure,
      there's only one way to find out and that's trying. If it works, you're lucky, if it
      doesn't, go to plan...

      c) buy K1EL's WinKey kit (www.k1el.com), solder it together, put it in a box, 'et
      voilà': a perfect keyer that will have no problems with the USB-interface, also
      suited for stand-alone applications. WinKey is cheap yet fantastic, and easy to
      assemble. It works just fine with N1MMLogger.

      More info on this topic here:
      http://www.aa5au.com/usb.html

      73 / GL de Franki ON5ZO

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2003
        Hi

        I am using a laptop with a USB to Serial adapter, and the CW sounds as good
        as that from the serial port. Computer is Dell Inspiron 4150, operating
        system is WinXL, adapter is listed as a "Prolific USB-to-Comm Port"
        adapter, the keying interface is a 2N2222 and two diodes built into the
        serial cable, and the transceivers are two K2s (one on the USB-Serial
        adapter, the other on the serial port using another home brew
        interface). It was the least expensive USB-Serial adapter I could find;
        just get this year's. I have an old USB-serial adapter, and they won't
        update the driver for WinXL. No problems or anything special to install
        it. I considered the WinKey kit, but most of what is in Winkey is also in
        N1MM, and in my book, N1MM is easier to use. I just use two paddles, one
        for one rig and one for the other and with N1MM, I can operate
        SO2R. WinKey doesn't have SO2R functionality anyway unless you want to buy
        two.

        At 04:38 PM 10/30/2003, Franki @ ON5ZO.be wrote:
        >Rich, there are several ways to tackle this problem...
        >
        >a) leave your laptop for what it is and look for a 2nd hand PC with LPT
        >and some COM
        >ports. A PII at 300MHz with 128MB RAM running Win98 should do the trick.
        >Anything
        >higher on the evolutionary ladder is better. I think this could be found
        >somewhere
        >around 250-300$?
        >If you really want to stick to your laptop, there's always plan...
        >
        >b) I think the odds are slim that a USB-to-serial adapter will deliver
        >nice CW. It'll
        >work fine for rig control, but CW is a whole other question. If you want
        >to be sure,
        >there's only one way to find out and that's trying. If it works, you're
        >lucky, if it
        >doesn't, go to plan...
        >
        >c) buy K1EL's WinKey kit (www.k1el.com), solder it together, put it in a
        >box, 'et
        >voilà': a perfect keyer that will have no problems with the USB-interface,
        >also
        >suited for stand-alone applications. WinKey is cheap yet fantastic, and
        >easy to
        >assemble. It works just fine with N1MMLogger.
        >
        >More info on this topic here:
        >http://www.aa5au.com/usb.html
        >
        >73 / GL de Franki ON5ZO

        73, Chas, W1CG
        K2 462b, 3571
      • Terry Hackworth
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2003
          Regarding WinKey device and two radio operation, the WinKey device will work with two radios. WinKey has PIC pin 3 output, which is normal CW and PIC pin 5 which is PTT. Under software control Pin 3 can be Radio 1 and Pin 5 can be Radio 2 CW outputs. The serial port assigned to the WinKey device should have the "Hardware" tab "Set" and WinKey checked and Radio Nr set to both. Plus the SO2R activated on the "Hardware" tab. Then goto the "WinKey" tab and set Pin 5 function to "2nd CW"

          The "K" output on the WinKey board goes to Radio 1 CW and the "P" output goes to Radio 2 CW. Logger takes care of all the switching provided you activate the proper radio.

          Terry, K5HP...

          I am using a laptop with a USB to Serial adapter, and the CW sounds as good
          as that from the serial port. Computer is Dell Inspiron 4150, operating
          system is WinXL, adapter is listed as a "Prolific USB-to-Comm Port"
          adapter, the keying interface is a 2N2222 and two diodes built into the
          serial cable, and the transceivers are two K2s (one on the USB-Serial
          adapter, the other on the serial port using another home brew
          interface). It was the least expensive USB-Serial adapter I could find;
          just get this year's. I have an old USB-serial adapter, and they won't
          update the driver for WinXL. No problems or anything special to install
          it. I considered the WinKey kit, but most of what is in Winkey is also in
          N1MM, and in my book, N1MM is easier to use. I just use two paddles, one
          for one rig and one for the other and with N1MM, I can operate
          SO2R. WinKey doesn't have SO2R functionality anyway unless you want to buy
          two.

          At 04:38 PM 10/30/2003, Franki @ ON5ZO.be wrote:
          >Rich, there are several ways to tackle this problem...
          >
          >a) leave your laptop for what it is and look for a 2nd hand PC with LPT
          >and some COM
          >ports. A PII at 300MHz with 128MB RAM running Win98 should do the trick.
          >Anything
          >higher on the evolutionary ladder is better. I think this could be found
          >somewhere
          >around 250-300$?
          >If you really want to stick to your laptop, there's always plan...
          >
          >b) I think the odds are slim that a USB-to-serial adapter will deliver
          >nice CW. It'll
          >work fine for rig control, but CW is a whole other question. If you want
          >to be sure,
          >there's only one way to find out and that's trying. If it works, you're
          >lucky, if it
          >doesn't, go to plan...
          >
          >c) buy K1EL's WinKey kit (www.k1el.com), solder it together, put it in a
          >box, 'et
          >voilà': a perfect keyer that will have no problems with the USB-interface,
          >also
          >suited for stand-alone applications. WinKey is cheap yet fantastic, and
          >easy to
          >assemble. It works just fine with N1MMLogger.
          >
          >More info on this topic here:
          >http://www.aa5au.com/usb.html
          >
          >73 / GL de Franki ON5ZO

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Franki @ ON5ZO.be
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
            Charles, that is not true: one WinKey keyer hooked up to N1MMLogger can serve as a
            SO2R keyer.
            Go to Configurer > WinKey tab > drop down 'Pin 5 Function' and select 'second CW'.
            It'll key Radio2 (you must add the wiring yourself, however).

            Not only is N1MMLogger free software, but it doubles the efficiency of your hardware
            investments!!!

            73 de Franki ON5ZO

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
                > If WinKey would let me use one paddle with
                > my two radios, I will take another look at it.

                Charles, this is a good question. I should try that but I haven't soldered my WinKey
                for SO2R yet.
                I think (anyone confirm?) that it'll work when hooked to N1MMLogger, but it'll NOT
                work in a stand-alone setup.

                - ON5ZO
              • Charles Greene
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Franki,

                  I don't have one, but I had down loaded the manual. The schematic shows
                  one paddle input, one CW output and one PTT output, for what that is
                  worth. I don't know if you can get the PTT to key from the paddle input or
                  not. It would be nice if you could.

                  At 10:57 AM 11/2/2003, you wrote:
> [...]

                  73, Chas, W1CG
                  K2 462b, 3571