Re: [N1MM] v1.1.139

  • Clive Whelan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001
      N1Mm wrote:
      > I wasn't initializing "Enter sends messages" mode,
      > so it was always checked.
      >
      > This will be fixed in the next version. Had me going for about 10 minutes.

      Sorry bad news. If you meant 1.1.141, then it isn't fixed, and in fact it's
      worse!

      The same happens as before, but now the right radio "running" box is labelled
      "record", and the CQ button is enabled whether or not the "record" box is
      checked.

      No sweat, I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

      I can see that DLLs for custom contests is a sound idea, but wonder if there
      is some merit in making this a database function in Access, where each field
      could represent a particular parameter of the custom contest. Of course this
      would require the user to own a copy of Access 2000 ( maybe not, a runtime
      function?), pretty selfish of me, as I can drive that better than VB!

      btw had another rough ride with Writelog this weekend in the EUHFC. I had
      massaged the IARU format to enable this contest, then found that hitting
      return sent what was in the callsign box at the time, and did not allow
      catching up from the keyboard. This seems to a bug associated with
      modification of the contest field format. I looked a bigger lid than I really
      am! Mind you my keyboarding certainly improved as I ran 600+ QSOs with the
      Russians calling at 35wpm with some loooong callsigns! Occasionally I cheated
      and used the paddle and only used WL as a pure logger, and not a CW sender.

      73

      Clive
      GW3NJW
      gw3njw@...
      Contest Cambria-http://www.gw7x.org
    • Tom Wagner
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2001
        Clive --

        Aha! I reread this. There is no "right running box". There
        is one running box, and it is on the left. The record box
        is for recording qso's via the sound card. (If you place
        the mouse over a control, it will give you a short
        description of its purpose.)

        I think the issue is going to come down to determining
        when cw should be sent on the "run" radio, and when
        on the "s&p" radio. Right now, whichever radio is
        highlighted (active) is the one that cw will next be sent
        on. (I think if you have started a repeat cq on the non-
        active radio, that will continue.)

        If the above rule for which radio to send on is not
        correct, then our job is to figure out what is the correct
        rule. Also related to this is that there is a pin on the
        lpt cw port that indicates the active radio. What should
        it indicate if not the active radio.

        The presumption is that if you are typing info for a
        particular radio, then you will want to send on that
        radio.

        73,
        Tom

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
          Hi Tom

          > Aha! I reread this. There is no "right running box". There
          > is one running box, and it is on the left. The record box
          > is for recording qso's via the sound card. (If you place
          > the mouse over a control, it will give you a short
          > description of its purpose.)

          well I must be cracking up then(!), as I would swear that wasn't
          the case with previous versions, otherwise I wouldn't have
          mentioned it. However I'm sure you are correct.

          > I think the issue is going to come down to determining
          > when cw should be sent on the "run" radio, and when
          > on the "s&p" radio. Right now, whichever radio is
          > highlighted (active) is the one that cw will next be sent
          > on. (I think if you have started a repeat cq on the non-
          > active radio, that will continue.)

          You are right about the CQ continuing on the run radio ,when the
          keyboard focus is shifted, that's what you just fixed I think.
          I think the "highlighted radio sends CW" is fine. I suppose I
          just come back to my impression that a shared box for both
          radios is not the most ergonomic arrangement, and certainly has
          potential for confusion in SO2R operation. In SO1R it is of no
          real consequence. I do understand what you say about Window
          space, but feel that separate physical windows are really
          desirable. There seems no reason why one window should not be
          completely disabled for the SO1R operator, and let the SO2R op.
          suffer the cluttered screen!

          > Also related to this is that there is a pin on the
          > lpt cw port that indicates the active radio. What should
          > it indicate if not the active radio.

          Do you mean a high/low A/B switch?, and is this present on all
          the LPT ports in use? Forgive me if this was in the release
          notes, I am suffering from information overload, and i've just
          finished another major contest WAE, so I am fairly brain dead!

          > The presumption is that if you are typing info for a
          > particular radio, then you will want to send on that
          > radio.

          Not necessarily at that point. In the SO2R scenario, you type
          the callsign for dupe check on the second radio ( keyboard focus
          only), but do not want to transmit until the time is right, viz
          no reply to CQ on the run radio, and/or the new mult goes to
          receive. This is quite a tricky scenario to cater for in fact.