Re: [N1MM] v1.1.139

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
      Mystery solved. You had "Enter sends messages" mode turned off. "Not
      so --", you say, "I looked, and the menu item was checked!" Well, that my
      friend is the real bug. I wasn't initializing "Enter sends messages" mode,
      so it was always checked.

      This will be fixed in the next version. Had me going for about 10 minutes.

      73,
      Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
        N1Mm wrote:
        > Had me going for about 10 minutes.

        Only 10 minutes eh, I'll obviously have to try harder!

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001
          N1Mm wrote:
          > I wasn't initializing "Enter sends messages" mode,
          > so it was always checked.
          >
          > This will be fixed in the next version. Had me going for about 10 minutes.

          Sorry bad news. If you meant 1.1.141, then it isn't fixed, and in fact it's
          worse!

          The same happens as before, but now the right radio "running" box is labelled
          "record", and the CQ button is enabled whether or not the "record" box is
          checked.

          No sweat, I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

          I can see that DLLs for custom contests is a sound idea, but wonder if there
          is some merit in making this a database function in Access, where each field
          could represent a particular parameter of the custom contest. Of course this
          would require the user to own a copy of Access 2000 ( maybe not, a runtime
          function?), pretty selfish of me, as I can drive that better than VB!

          btw had another rough ride with Writelog this weekend in the EUHFC. I had
          massaged the IARU format to enable this contest, then found that hitting
          return sent what was in the callsign box at the time, and did not allow
          catching up from the keyboard. This seems to a bug associated with
          modification of the contest field format. I looked a bigger lid than I really
          am! Mind you my keyboarding certainly improved as I ran 600+ QSOs with the
          Russians calling at 35wpm with some loooong callsigns! Occasionally I cheated
          and used the paddle and only used WL as a pure logger, and not a CW sender.

          73

          Clive
          GW3NJW
          gw3njw@...
          Contest Cambria-http://www.gw7x.org
        • Tom Wagner
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2001
            Clive --

            Aha! I reread this. There is no "right running box". There
            is one running box, and it is on the left. The record box
            is for recording qso's via the sound card. (If you place
            the mouse over a control, it will give you a short
            description of its purpose.)

            I think the issue is going to come down to determining
            when cw should be sent on the "run" radio, and when
            on the "s&p" radio. Right now, whichever radio is
            highlighted (active) is the one that cw will next be sent
            on. (I think if you have started a repeat cq on the non-
            active radio, that will continue.)

            If the above rule for which radio to send on is not
            correct, then our job is to figure out what is the correct
            rule. Also related to this is that there is a pin on the
            lpt cw port that indicates the active radio. What should
            it indicate if not the active radio.

            The presumption is that if you are typing info for a
            particular radio, then you will want to send on that
            radio.

            73,
            Tom

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
              Hi Tom

              > Aha! I reread this. There is no "right running box". There
              > is one running box, and it is on the left. The record box
              > is for recording qso's via the sound card. (If you place
              > the mouse over a control, it will give you a short
              > description of its purpose.)

              well I must be cracking up then(!), as I would swear that wasn't
              the case with previous versions, otherwise I wouldn't have
              mentioned it. However I'm sure you are correct.

              > I think the issue is going to come down to determining
              > when cw should be sent on the "run" radio, and when
              > on the "s&p" radio. Right now, whichever radio is
              > highlighted (active) is the one that cw will next be sent
              > on. (I think if you have started a repeat cq on the non-
              > active radio, that will continue.)

              You are right about the CQ continuing on the run radio ,when the
              keyboard focus is shifted, that's what you just fixed I think.
              I think the "highlighted radio sends CW" is fine. I suppose I
              just come back to my impression that a shared box for both
              radios is not the most ergonomic arrangement, and certainly has
              potential for confusion in SO2R operation. In SO1R it is of no
              real consequence. I do understand what you say about Window
              space, but feel that separate physical windows are really
              desirable. There seems no reason why one window should not be
              completely disabled for the SO1R operator, and let the SO2R op.
              suffer the cluttered screen!

              > Also related to this is that there is a pin on the
              > lpt cw port that indicates the active radio. What should
              > it indicate if not the active radio.

              Do you mean a high/low A/B switch?, and is this present on all
              the LPT ports in use? Forgive me if this was in the release
              notes, I am suffering from information overload, and i've just
              finished another major contest WAE, so I am fairly brain dead!

              > The presumption is that if you are typing info for a
              > particular radio, then you will want to send on that
              > radio.

              Not necessarily at that point. In the SO2R scenario, you type
              the callsign for dupe check on the second radio ( keyboard focus
              only), but do not want to transmit until the time is right, viz
              no reply to CQ on the run radio, and/or the new mult goes to
              receive. This is quite a tricky scenario to cater for in fact.