Contest Season

  • Tom Wagner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2003
      We are approaching CQWW SSB and the start of
      the main part of contest season. Enhancements
      to the program will be curtailed during this
      part of the year to focus on eliminating
      any bugs or performance problems.

      Please start testing with your favorite fall/
      winter contest NOW. Make a copy of ham.mdb
      (or whatever you have called it), and use last
      year's contest as a test platform. Why? Some
      problems only appear with larger logs. I have
      changed to a MUCH faster processor in the
      past 6 months, so I can't see performance
      issues as well as I used to. I relay on
      the users to let me know about them.
      Would you like a guide to testing? Here is
      one: http://www.kms.nl/n1mm/files/TestPlan.wri
      We would be interested in any improvements
      you would like to suggest for this form.

      Now is also a good time to review the Key
      Assignments. That is a good place to start
      to pique your interest in what the program
      can do.

      If you are planning to operate CW or RTTY, you
      MUST learn about ESM (enter sends messages).
      It reduces fatigue and errors by
      sending the right message each time
      just by pressing enter. It may take you a while
      to understand and set up ESM, so don't leave this
      to the last minute. Believe me, those that
      learn to use ESM, love it.

      New this year is dual entry windows.
      It would be a good idea to try those out, so
      you don't get frustrated during the contest.
      For your reference, \ switches keyboard focus,
      ctl-left/right changes keyboard & xmit focus.
      Also, ctl-Fn, and ctl-enter send on the
      radio that does NOT have focus.

      Finally, make sure you understand what settings
      you want for the following Configurer options:

      SO2V/SO2R
      Send corrected call
      Send partial calls
      Stop sending CQ when callsign changed
      Fill in his exchange when sending yours (ESM Mode)
      Config/Spot all S&P calls locally

      73,
      Tom Wagner - N1MM