DX Doubler

  • KEN SILVERMAN
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hi Steve,

      In the IARU, I noticed something with the RX audio, but never reported it since I didn't track down what was causing it:

      I found that the audio of radio 1 & 2 would reverse (between left and right in headset) occasionally when in Auto on the DXD. Keying was OK on radio 1/2 then, it was only an RX Left/Right issue. My solution was changing the headphones on my head :-) But of course, this was about 4-6 versions ago... Unfortunately it takes 3-4 hours to get to K6KM's to recheck what I was seeing.

      BTW, I assume you have the DXD set to CT/TR internal jumper settings? There is a specific jumper setting for NA which might be problematic...

      Kenny K2KW

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7 6:49 AM
        I'm considering purchase of the DXD for SO2R control with N1MM.

        Pros--cons--suggestions?

        Thanks

        Larry, N0XB

      • Kenneth Silverman
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7 7:30 AM
          Well, I think the only commercially available external units right now are the DXD and the EZ Master. I was looking at the ArraySolutions website the other day and I did not see the ZS4TX box on the website.

          Of course, N1MM has the $5 SO2R option, and along with Winkey for CW switching (Using pin 5 to switch between radios), you can put together a basic SO2R system.

          I've used the DXD at K6KM's for years, and it's worked well and was visualy intuitive (I like the LEDs). Though after using the original ArraySolutions SO2R Master at K6XX's, I like having the A/B/Both audio controller right next to the keyboard. But I don't have enough experience with the SO2R Master to suggest one over the other.

          Kenny K2KW

          Larry Menzel <retire@...> wrote:
          I'm considering purchase of the DXD for SO2R control with N1MM.

          Pros--cons--suggestions?

          Thanks

          Larry, N0XB

          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Ham radio

        • Alan J. Donziger
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 7 8:35 AM
            I have used the DXD for several years and I do like it. I recently
            started using N1MM and at first had some difficulty figuring out how to
            get WINKEY to switch between radios. But, once I got it setup, it works
            perfectly. I do recommend the DXD with N1MM.

            On a related note. I am considering purchasing a microham microkeyer.
            Does anyone know if this keyer and the DXD can be interfaced for SO2R.
            I am mainly interested in CW and SSB, so if it works in those modes, I
            would buy it. If it can also work SO2R in RTTY that would be a bonus as
            I do want to try that mode one of these days.

            Thanks
            Alan/N3AD
          • Thomas PA1M
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 7 8:48 AM
              Heard on the microHAM reflector that hey will bring a new SO2R
              controller with them to the Dayton Hamvention in May.
              No clue yet what the features will be but looking at the microKeyer
              design and software it's probably worth the wait.

              Sure a booth I will visit!

              73' Thomas
              PA1M

              Kenneth Silverman wrote:
              > Well, I think the only commercially available external units right now
              > are the DXD and the EZ Master. I was looking at the ArraySolutions
              > website the other day and I did not see the ZS4TX box on the website.
              >
              > Of course, N1MM has the $5 SO2R option, and along with Winkey for CW
              > switching (Using pin 5 to switch between radios), you can put together
              > a basic SO2R system.
              >
              > I've used the DXD at K6KM's for years, and it's worked well and was
              > visualy intuitive (I like the LEDs). Though after using the original
              > ArraySolutions SO2R Master at K6XX's, I like having the A/B/Both audio
              > controller right next to the keyboard. But I don't have enough
              > experience with the SO2R Master to suggest one over the other.
              >
              > Kenny K2KW
              >

              > Larry Menzel <retire@...> wrote:
              > I'm considering purchase of the DXD for SO2R control with N1MM.
              >
              > Pros--cons--suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Larry, N0XB

            • W0MU Mike Fatchett
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 7 9:08 AM
                The ZS4TX box is being sold direct now.

                Kenneth Silverman wrote:
                > Well, I think the only commercially available external units right now
                > are the DXD and the EZ Master. I was looking at the ArraySolutions
                > website the other day and I did not see the ZS4TX box on the website.
                >
                > Of course, N1MM has the $5 SO2R option, and along with Winkey for CW
                > switching (Using pin 5 to switch between radios), you can put together
                > a basic SO2R system.
                >
                > I've used the DXD at K6KM's for years, and it's worked well and was
                > visualy intuitive (I like the LEDs). Though after using the original
                > ArraySolutions SO2R Master at K6XX's, I like having the A/B/Both audio
                > controller right next to the keyboard. But I don't have enough
                > experience with the SO2R Master to suggest one over the other.
                >
                > Kenny K2KW
                >

                > Larry Menzel <retire@...> wrote:
                > I'm considering purchase of the DXD for SO2R control with N1MM.
                >
                > Pros--cons--suggestions?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Larry, N0XB

              • Joe Subich
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 7 1:54 PM
                  Alan,

                  The microKEYER will certainly work with DX Doubler. I have the
                  beginnings of an Application Note that shows how to connect a
                  microKEYER, a USB Interface II and DX Doubler (or home built
                  SO2R interface) for all mode SO2R. If you are interested, e-mail
                  me direct (info@... or W4TV@...) and
                  I will send the "roadmap."

                  Alternatively, we will have at least two SO2R products in time
                  for Dayton. One will be a "SO2R adapter" for microKEYER and
                  the other will be a "two radio microKEYER" (microKEYER and
                  SO2R interface in one unit).

                  73,

                  ... Joe Subich, W4TV
                  microHAM America, LLC.
                  www.microHAM-USA.com

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 7 2:05 PM
                    At 10:30 AM 2/7/2006, Kenneth Silverman wrote:
                    >Well, I think the only commercially available external units right now are the DXD and the EZ Master. I was looking at the ArraySolutions website the other day and I did not see the ZS4TX box on the website.
                    >
                    > Of course, N1MM has the $5 SO2R option, and along with Winkey for CW switching (Using pin 5 to switch between radios), you can put together a basic SO2R system.

                    Pin 14?

                    > I've used the DXD at K6KM's for years, and it's worked well and was visualy intuitive (I like the LEDs). Though after using the original ArraySolutions SO2R Master at K6XX's, I like having the A/B/Both audio controller right next to the keyboard. But I don't have enough experience with the SO2R Master to suggest one over the other.

                    The simple mod I wrote up for the DXD puts the audio selections on the keyboard (via the unshifted tilde).

                    73, Pete N4ZR
                  • Tom Haavisto
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 18, 2007
                      This may have been asked before, so please bear with me (or point me to where I can find the info :-)

                      Just wondering if anyone is using the Top Ten DX Doubler with N1MM? If so, how do you mix the audio from your headset and computer? The device only has a single mic input, and I am hoping to also use my computer as a DVK.

                      Tom - VE3CX
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 18, 2007
                        Tom,

                        I'm using a DX Doubler with N1MM. I also use a Heil headset. My headset
                        mike plugs directly into the mic input on my computer sound card. Then, the
                        audio output of the sound card (speaker out) is fed through a 1:1 isolation
                        transformer with a resistor pad (10k in series, 1K across output to ground)
                        to the mike input on the DX Doubler. I use the Windows Mixer to balance the
                        mic and DVK message levels. Receive audio runs directly from each radio to
                        the DXD and the headset plugs directly into the "PHONES" jack on the DXD.
                        The DXD, controlled by the N1MM software, switches transmit and receive
                        audio to the proper radio.

                        You may want to refer to Chapter 38.5 Sound Card Interfacing in the N1MM
                        manual for further info.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 18, 2007
                          I have done this for years. I run my microphone into my sound card through
                          the mic input, and take the audio from the line output, through a voltage
                          divider to the microphone input of the DXD. Works FB. Requires a "full
                          duplex" sound card, but most are these days.

                          73, Pete

                          At 05:03 PM 6/18/2007, you wrote:
                          >This may have been asked before, so please bear with me (or point me to
                          >where I can find the info :-)
                          >
                          >Just wondering if anyone is using the Top Ten DX Doubler with N1MM? If
                          >so, how do you mix the audio from your headset and computer? The device
                          >only has a single mic input, and I am hoping to also use my computer as a DVK.
                          >
                          >Tom - VE3CX
                          >

                          >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Tom Haavisto
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007
                            I am trying to get N1MM to work with the DX Doubler.

                            I have hooked up the parallel port from my PC to the DXD, but N1MM will not key the radio when I press the F1 key is S&P mode.  The screen shows a red stop sign beside SP, it is playing my recorded audio if I manually key the radio, but N1MM does not key the radio as expected.

                            I am not ruling out I may have a cable issue - I had to get a F/F 25 pin adapter to get the cable gender correct, but I am not sure what pin to measure.

                            Any pointers greatly appreciated!

                            Tom - VE3CX

                          • AB7R
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007
                              I believe its pin 14.

                              Greg

                              I am trying to get N1MM to work with the DX Doubler.

                              I have hooked up the parallel port from my PC to the DXD, but N1MM will
                              not key the radio when I press the F1 key is S&P mode. The screen shows a
                              red stop sign beside SP, it is playing my recorded audio if I manually key
                              the radio, but N1MM does not key the radio as expected.

                              I am not ruling out I may have a cable issue - I had to get a F/F 25 pin
                              adapter to get the cable gender correct, but I am not sure what pin to
                              measure.

                              Any pointers greatly appreciated!

                              Tom - VE3CX

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              1:40 PM

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 5, 2007
                                Pin 14 is Radio A/B select control for the DX Doubler. Pin 16 is PTT and
                                pin 17 is CW output. Section 38.4.1 in the N1MM manual shows the complete
                                pin-out detail for the LPT port.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
                                  Hi

                                  I need help to set up DX Doubler with N1MM. Here I explain how I have it right know:

                                  LPT1 cable connected from the computer to the DX Doubler.
                                  The cable that comes from the DX Doubler to the radio that connect where says Key, Phone and PTT (one cable each for radio).
                                  Inside the DX Doubler, the first 2 jumpers are in NA mode and the third in CT/TR/Writelog mode.

                                  I use a Head set from HEIL and I connected it to the DX Doubler but the audio and transmissions are not working. Also I tried using the Wintest software and do not work either. Any help will be well received!

                                  Both radios, are Yaesu FT-2000

                                  Alfredo Vélez WP3C/NP4DX
                                  Skype: wp3c.pr
                                  e-mail: mailto:wp3c@...
                                  Web: http://www.wp3c.qth.com/
                                • Tom Osborne
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
                                    Hi Alfredo

                                    When you set up the LPT port in N1MM, make sure you have it set to 'both' or
                                    it won't work. 73
                                    Tom W7WHY

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 9, 2011
                                      Alfredo,

                                      To set up the DX Doubler for N1MM, the jumpers should be set for
                                      CT/TR/WriteLog EXCEPT for the middle jumper. The middle jumper should
                                      connect pins 5 and 6 (NA position). This jumper puts the control signal
                                      from LPT-pin 5 into the logic in the DXD. Now, with the DXD AUDIO control
                                      switch set to "Auto", the unshifted tilde (variously called the backquote,
                                      grave accent or simply the ` key) will toggle the STEREO audio mode on and
                                      off.

                                      Be sure to set the LPT port in the Configurer/Hardware tab to BOTH radios as
                                      Tom has suggested.