      From: Gary K9GS
      Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 3:54 PM
      To: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [N1MM] pci express card for FSK RTTY

      Hello all,

      I would stay away from Rosewill. I bought a 4 port card through Newegg.
      The card worked great controlling the radio. I ran into problems when
      the PC sat idle for a while. The serial port would hang up and the only
      way to fix was to re-boot the computer. This was with DX-Labsuite, I
      never tried with N1MM. Also never used with FSK.

      I have a new Dell Optiplex 3100 with Win7 Pro. Yes, I had all of the
      hibernate/sleep/power management options set correctly. I suspect the
      problem was in the card. I even had some contact with Rosewill
      "support", I use that term lightly. They were pretty useless.

      I eventually bought a FTDI chipset USB-Serial adaptor (Sabrent) and all
      works great.

      On 12/1/2013 3:20 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
      > ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)
      > On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 15:45:08 +0000, Jay wrote:
      > >
      > >got a
      > >good black friday deal on a new desktop (win 8, i5 core) and it has 3
      > PCI express
      > >x1 slots. looking in the archives for a while, i am not finding any
      > suggestions
      > >for RS-232 serial cards (2 or 4 port; actually would prefer 1
      > parallel 2 serial; etc.) that will
      > >work with FSK RTTY at 45.45 baud. the card descriptions tend to say
      > how fast they
      > >can go, not how slow.
      > >

      > >would
      > >anyone like to offer up some suggestions (Syba, Startech, etc) for
      > PCI Express cards
      > >that are working for RTTY FSK?
      > REPLY:
      > I think you'll find that any PCI express card will work fine. People
      > sometimes have problems with a USB to serial cable not handling RTTY, but
      > any card which plugs directly into the motherboard should be no problem.
      > 73, Bill W6WRT

      Gary K9GS

      Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
      Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com