79827...was Not Communicating With Rig, really an old K3 PTT issue

  • John Bednar
    Dec 1, 2011
      Riki,

      I do not use a K3 for contesting.

      Since version 11.10.00 release there have been several reflector emails from
      K3 owners and two program changes to address issues. The first appears to be
      caused by a fast user computer with specific configuration and the second
      traced to what appears to be a K3 firmware issue. To warn users about the
      apparent K3 firmware issue, the message below was posted to on the reflector
      before the contest.

      I suspect that what you reported has been fixed and your frustration would
      have been eliminated if you had used a recent program version. Let me know
      if there are any PTT / ESC key problems with program version 11.11.03 or
      newer.

      It frustrating to the program developers and confusing to the users when
      issues are reported using software that contains a known problem.

      John, K3CT

      RE: K3 owners, LPT CW bug....

      The N1MM Logger development team has received intermittent reports from some
      K3 users that when using PTT via radio command and pressing ESC the radio
      did not always return to RX.

      This weekend when working with N4BP, I finally duplicated the issue by using
      the right timing sequence of F1 & ESC key. Debugging revealed that the RX
      radio command was being sent to the radio but it was ignored. I also learned
      that unplugging the CW key jack from the radio eliminates the problem. This
      was tested verified by two K3 owners. I've reported my findings to Elecraft
      and added a temporary work around in the program code that may be released
      today. I've already received a reply from Wayne at Elecraft and I will work
      with him to get this radio issue resolved.

      Late last night while working on the temporary K3 work around, I uncovered
      an ESC key bug introduced in version 11.11.02 that will effect users that
      don't have a radio interfaced but use LPT CW keying.

      If either of these apply, please download version 11.11.03 when it's
      released and test the interrupting of CW with the ESC key.