61761Re: [N1MM] Lost in ESM-Land

  • Art Burke
    Jul 3, 2009
      Tnx Ted (and to Pete, Iain and Art1) for the comments on ESM. I do use Morse Runner a lot for practice to increase my CW speed. Never dawned on me that it was so much like ESM.

      We had a brand new guy come in early Sunday morning (Field Day) and I tried to tutor him for 20 minutes or so. He had never seen N1MM before and I had no idea what his learning and/or operating skills were like. In retrospect, I wondered if I should have left ESM on for him, but the "..F5 then F2.." confused him initially anyway. I stuck with F1 for CQ, F5 then F2 for the exchange and F3 to say thanks and log the QSO.

      I made a little "cheat sheet" and stuck between the keyboard and monitor so he could easily see it. He managed to use that to get through a couple of hours without too much difficulty.

      After his shift I asked him if he felt I "threw him under the bus." He felt that I didn't and was really enthused about N1MM.

      Of course Field Day using N1MM is about as simple as it gets - contesting-wise.

      Art - N4PJ

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@...> wrote:

      > "...in S&P if you don't get through on the first call you just hit F4 until
      > you do..."
      > - Put your call in F8 instead of "agn", then (as long as the received
      > exchange field is empty) you can continue to hit Enter until you get
      > through.
      >
      > "...In Run if you call a station and they don't respond, you just hit F5
      > then F2..."
      > - or, just hit the "+/=" key, which always repeats the last message sent
      >
      > Remember, if you sometimes get confused when using ESM, hitting individual
      > message keys to send what you want ALWAYS works. So does Alt-Enter to log
      > the QSO without sending anything. And, logging the QSO resets ESM for the
      > next one.
      >
      > 73, Ted W4NZ

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic