Re: [N-TEC] Re: Mold?

  • joeballenger2005@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31 10:43 AM
      That, too.

      I tend to use your method with terrestrials and obligate burrowers than I do with arboreals.

      My substrate for arboreals tends to be shallower than it is with obligate burrowers.

      Overflowing the waterdish causes the water to enter the substrate at one point, then spread out under the surface. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting a yellow fungus under the surface of some of my terrestrial containers.
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      From: "pokeeregal"

      Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:36:55
      To:N-TEC@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [N-TEC] Re: Mold?

      Joe you got me confused. Not a hard thing to do by the way. Dry will
      indeed stave off mold. Humid on the other hand contributes to it.
      Can't have it both ways my friend.

      By the way, no "u" in the word mold.

      Just so you know I enjoy teasing you. Why don't you come to a meeting
      some time and maybe I'd quit. Maybe. Have a great day Joe!

      Patrick

      --- In N-TEC@yahoogroups. com, joeballenger2005@... wrote:

      > The mould most likely isn't harmful' but I would remove the
      offending wood as soon as possible.

      > Are there boluses in there? If so, remove them or your pet will have
      a gray lawn.

      > Try drying the cage out and using a waterdish to keep the humidity
      up instead of misting. I find that liquid water helps mould grow
      whereas dry and humid conditions tend to stave mould off a bit.
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

    • Patrick Mumford
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        Three hour drive? You lost yo marbles man.   I make that drive every couple of months, I'm from Des Moines and still have family there. You can go from city limits to city limits under two hours @ 75mph.

        I can make it from my home which is a couple of miles south of I80 off of 72nd to my mommy's house which is about 12 miles south of Des Moines in about two hours and 45 minutes.

        You explained things quite well concerning the difference in dry and humid. You're talking about the 'strate versus the air.

        Take care Joe and get off yer butt and come visit us at a meeting. So what if you have to drive a few hours, you'll live for another day. See ya!

        Patrick

        joeballenger2005@... wrote:
        I've been trying to come to a meeting for years, my friend. Its a three hour drive from des moines to omaha.

        As for dry and humid, when I say 'dry', I am referring to the amount of liquid water contained in the substrate.

        When I say humid, I am referring to the concentration of water dissolved in the air (water vapor).

        You can keep the cage both dry and humid by placing a wide and shallow waterdish in the cage. Most waterdishes are kind of narrow (think cup vs plate) and don't have a whole lot of surface area for evaporation to take place. Increase that surface area, you increase the rate of evaporation and increase the amount of water vapor in the air without putting a single drop of water on the substrate.

        Light misting can also accomplish this if done right, mainly misting sides and non-moUlding decorations and avoiding anything organic.

        The mould which grows in my tanks (fuzzy grey spiderwebby type stuff) seems to need liquid water more than anything else. Keeping the humidity up without getting water on anything has reduced mould in my cages by at least 90 percent.
        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        Joe you got me confused. Not a hard thing to do by the way. Dry will
        indeed stave off mold. Humid on the other hand contributes to it.
        Can't have it both ways my friend.

        By the way, no "u" in the word mold.

        Just so you know I enjoy teasing you. Why don't you come to a meeting
        some time and maybe I'd quit. Maybe. Have a great day Joe!

        Patrick

        --- In N-TEC@yahoogroups. com, joeballenger2005@... wrote:

        > The mould most likely isn't harmful' but I would remove the
        offending wood as soon as possible.

        > Are there boluses in there? If so, remove them or your pet will have
        a gray lawn.

        > Try drying the cage out and using a waterdish to keep the humidity
        up instead of misting. I find that liquid water helps mould grow
        whereas dry and humid conditions tend to stave mould off a bit.
        > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: