In Search of a New Me

  • R Callahan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007

      You know the saying, out of the mouths of babes..." Well, kind of had one of those moment today.

      Back when Tamara and I were married (1996), I weight about 185-195 lbs. A few years later, Suz and the kids moved in with us. At that time (around 1998), my weight was still around the 195 mark. It is July 3rd, 2007. My weight sits at around 330 lbs.

      I did at one point try the Atkin's diet, and stuck with it for almost 7 months (dropping about 70 lbs), and when I plateaued for more than a month, I got frustrated and went of the diet, making only half hearted efforts to restart.

      Tonight, I watched a show called Shaq's Big Challenge. For those of you who have not seen it, Shaq has selected 6 children, ranging in age from 13 to 16 who are by the AMA's definition "morbidly obese'. Imagine a 14 year old girl, small boned but is carrying 265 lbs of weight. I think you get the picture.

      After watching it and the efforts that not only Shaq and his team are making with these kids, but the effort the kids are making to lose weight and get healthy, I found myself asking "Why am I not doing what they are doing? Why did give up?"

      I gave up out of frustration, and the belief that I could never get back down as low as I wanted. I allowed my own frustration to stop me from reaching the goal I wanted to reach. My goal was to get back to the low 200's again. If I could get down to about 220 lbs, and lose at least 10 inches from my waist, I would be happy. I would keep pushing to lose more around the waist but I could feel happy and healthy again.

      I decided that I'm not going to keep putting off the "journey back" any longer, and this time I need to stick with it better than I have been. It is not enough to talk or think about it, and although I have been acting on it to some degree by walking, I can do better. I need to change my diet...to make a lifestyle change.

      I also decided that this time, I'm not going to make this a private journey. Even with as much help as Suz and Tam provided me with the first time around, it was still too easy to cheat, etc. For this reason, this time around I am going to make my weight loss journey back to the old me public. To share my success and failure with reqular updates and such, including pictures as I am able. If anyone wishes to send words of encouragement, or call me on it if it seems I'm slipping or something.

      I have included a picture of me taken a few days ago by my 7 year old using my cellphone. This is what I am choosing to leave behind.

      Mystic Dragon

      Listowner, Mystic Circles

      Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup.

    • Ambrose Hawk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
        Frankly, I think I'm going to join you in the effort!
        I'm one of those guys who commits "nervous eating" moments of stress,
        depression, anxiety, etc. give me an enormous appetite. When you add
        this to acquired hypoglycemia, I get enormous!
        Quick history of how I got to 360+ ... Grandmother, who raised me,
        died. Up 40, down 20. Dad, with whom I had finally had a great
        relationship for the last seven years, died. Up 40, down 20. I get a
        heart attack sitting right in front of my supervisor and lose my career
        ... up 60, down 20. My condition dramatically worsens and I become an
        enforced couch potato ... up 60, down nowhere.
        I've kept it stable for the last year, but now that there's a new
        diagnosis which gives me more productive time, I'm hoping to start
        exercising again in a more aggressive manner ...
        So this is the time, and with Mystic Dragon probably going to be more
        successful than I ... got a leader!
        BTW, low carb and LOTS of excersize is the only thing that seems to work
        and to hold the lower weights for anybody ... my doctor is suggesting I
        also try a stomach ring.

        Now, to think about whom we each want to evoke for help on this ...
        :)
        Ambrose

        --
        IN HOC MODO, MILLIS FRANGITVR!
      • R Callahan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007

          I welcome anyone who wishes to join me on this journey.  I have posted pictures of my “starting point” to the photos section at the groups Yahoogroups page.  I’m also going to post a “journal” people can use to track things.

          Mystic.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
            Congrats on the taking the first step to commit!!!!

            Make small goals and reward yourself when you reach them. Not with food
            of course*G*

            I belong to this group and you can get lots and lots of recipes that are
            low carb and let you vary the menu a lot more.

            low-carb-recipe-exchange-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            You can get lots of help at Atkins.com too.

            Ruby
          • Raven

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
                Just wondering how the two of you are doing in finding the "new you"

                Ruby