RE: [MysticCrossing] $250K for Mystic Crossing!!!!!!!

  • Gillespie, Jason
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
      Good going Bryce and all those involved. It just goes to show how
      communities, regulatory agencies and even private industries can work
      together toward reaching a common goal.

      An administrative question, which I am not sure can be completely answered
      depending on terms of the settlement, who is actually the recipient of the
      $250K(Mystic Crossing, Medford, Everett, the State, etc.) and who is to
      oversee when and how the funds are to be distributed?

      -Jason

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
        Hear Hear!

        Steve Viggiani has been working on this project for 3 years and has brought about a wonderful and wondrous result not only for our Mystic Crossing but for the entire region. He exemplifies what one dedicated and caring public servant can do for millions of people.

        I've also been told that the defendants (Excelon) and the defense attorney John Proctor were also concerned about having a positive impact on our little corner so our thanks should include them.

        Bryce also deserves major kudos for his behind the scenes work in bringing this about. He has supported this project before some of us even knew about it and was able to keep it secret (Not sure I could have!) Nice job, Bryce!!

        Ofc. Patrick Johnston
        Everett Police Marine Unit
        617-905-3747
      • evarts.lan@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
          Congratulations! What wonderful news.

          Lanny

        • epdmarine@aol.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
              Just a quick note to let people know that Patrick left a message on Saturday asking if I would let people know that he will be out of touch for a while.

              Early Saturday morning, his house in Everett burned down. His message said that he and his family were all OK, but lost everything. The Everett Police will help to coordinate further assistance, but will not have any specific details until Monday. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing.

              Patrick will be back in touch as soon as possible, but wanted people to realize that he lost his phones and computer, so will be out of communication for the immediate future.

              Janet Kovner and I will help to coordinate some sort of watershed response. One thought that immediately came to mind was assistance to recreate Mystic files. Let one of us know if you could help create a pack of CDs with relevant materials. We'll try to keep you posted.

              Lisa Brukilacchio
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                The EPA staff (Steven Viggiani and Catherine Smith) deserve a lot of
                credit here, and a hearty thanks. It is their job to work on such
                settlements, sure, but I know they've put in an effort above and
                beyond a simple execution of their jobs. I am proud to have helped,
                as I could, from the citizen side.

                As I leared when it all became public, this was a complex multi-party
                deal, and not a small one. The projects had to be likely to generate
                good press. The powerplant, EPA adminstrators, commuter rail
                operations, DCR, school district and towns all had to agree. The deal
                could easily have unraveled. The powerplant actually paid a higher
                effective fine by voluntarily choosing to support these worthy
                environmental projects.

                You can learn more about the type of settlement that was reached at:
                http://www.epa.gov/region1/enforcement/sep/
                And you can suggest other projects for future consideration. In our
                case bringing people down to the banks helps create a constiuency to
                help clean up the river. And the dam crossing makes a lot of "smart
                growth" sense, in that it will create destinations best walked or
                cycled to.

                -Bryce "quite pleased" Nesbitt

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
                  Hi All,

                  I am online via dialup and a borrowed laptop for the first time in a week. Haven't had time to read all the mail but will try to get up to date asap.

                  My deepest thanks for all your support, it is much appreciated.

                  My cellphone and email is up and accessable to me again so feel free to contact me.

                  Patrick
                • Lanny Evarts
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
                    Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: urgent request from Patrick Johnston Patrick,

                    Glad to hear from you.  Glad you're getting up and running.  Is there anything your family needs?

                    I had written inviting you to an informational coffee about Assembly Square.  I'm having a series of informal coffees for Somerville neighbors.  The next one is this Sunday, Feb 8 at 2:30 at my home in Ten Hills across from Assembly Square.  You're still welcome to come, but if the notice is too short, I'd be happy to keep you on the list for next time if you're interested.  The flyer is attached

                    These are informational meetings with the purpose of helping Somerville folks understand the issues.  We ask folks what questions they have, and listen to their concerns and suggestions.  We also share a presentation about some of the research Mystic View has done regarding developing this area.

                    I thought you might like to come so you would have a little more knowledge about what's going on and about Mystic View's efforts to optimize this opportunity.  You might also have some ideas that would be helpful to us.

                    Lots of good wishes for your family's complete recovery from this challenging experience.

                    Lanny Evarts

                    230 Fellsway, Somerville
                    evarts.lan@...
                    617/776-6821