Re: [HerringRun] $250K for Mystic Crossing!!!!!!!

  • Lisa Brukilacchio
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
      Yahoo! Such great news. See what making the Mystic visible can do!
      Patrick- extra thanks to you for your enthusiastic boat tour for the
      folks who made these decisions-- seems to have done the trick!

      Lisa Brukilacchio

    • smith.catherine@epamail.epa.gov
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
        You owe Bryce Nesbitt a great big thanks for his quiet advocacy with the
        EPA. Janet Kovner of the Mystic River Watershed Association and Dan
        Driscoll of the DCR also have been great advocates for expanding the
        network of Mystic River paths -- and this piece in particular. Sorry we
        had to keep it so secret, but enforcement settlements are confidential
        until lodged with the court. I was working with Bryce on another
        project when he brought the Mystic crossing project to EPA's attention.

        Steven Viggiani is the EPA attorney who negotiated the Mystic Exelon
        case with the Mystic Exelon attorneys (who, to their credit, were very
        enthusiastic about the project). It was crucial to know that there was
        a lot of community support for the project, so we have been reading your
        emails for the last few months with glee!

        "Gillespie,
        Jason" To: "'MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com'"
        <Gillespj@wseinc <MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com>
        .com> cc:
        Subject: RE: [MysticCrossing] $250K for Mystic
        01/30/2004 10:14 Crossing!!!!!!!
        AM
        Please respond
        MysticCrossing

        Wonderful news!!! How did this come about? Who brought our project to
        EPA's attention?
        (Embedded image moved to file: pic07245.gif)The Boston Globe
[...]

        (Embedded image moved to file: pic28564.gif)census (Embedded image
        moved to file: pic31539.gif)

        Ofc. Patrick Johnston
        Everett Police Marine Unit

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Service.
      • Gillespie, Jason
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
          Good going Bryce and all those involved. It just goes to show how
          communities, regulatory agencies and even private industries can work
          together toward reaching a common goal.

          An administrative question, which I am not sure can be completely answered
          depending on terms of the settlement, who is actually the recipient of the
          $250K(Mystic Crossing, Medford, Everett, the State, etc.) and who is to
          oversee when and how the funds are to be distributed?

          -Jason

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • epdmarine@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
            Hear Hear!

            Steve Viggiani has been working on this project for 3 years and has brought about a wonderful and wondrous result not only for our Mystic Crossing but for the entire region. He exemplifies what one dedicated and caring public servant can do for millions of people.

            I've also been told that the defendants (Excelon) and the defense attorney John Proctor were also concerned about having a positive impact on our little corner so our thanks should include them.

            Bryce also deserves major kudos for his behind the scenes work in bringing this about. He has supported this project before some of us even knew about it and was able to keep it secret (Not sure I could have!) Nice job, Bryce!!

            Ofc. Patrick Johnston
            Everett Police Marine Unit
            617-905-3747
          • evarts.lan@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
              Congratulations! What wonderful news.

              Lanny

            • epdmarine@aol.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Just a quick note to let people know that Patrick left a message on Saturday asking if I would let people know that he will be out of touch for a while.

                  Early Saturday morning, his house in Everett burned down. His message said that he and his family were all OK, but lost everything. The Everett Police will help to coordinate further assistance, but will not have any specific details until Monday. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing.

                  Patrick will be back in touch as soon as possible, but wanted people to realize that he lost his phones and computer, so will be out of communication for the immediate future.

                  Janet Kovner and I will help to coordinate some sort of watershed response. One thought that immediately came to mind was assistance to recreate Mystic files. Let one of us know if you could help create a pack of CDs with relevant materials. We'll try to keep you posted.

                  Lisa Brukilacchio
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                    The EPA staff (Steven Viggiani and Catherine Smith) deserve a lot of
                    credit here, and a hearty thanks. It is their job to work on such
                    settlements, sure, but I know they've put in an effort above and
                    beyond a simple execution of their jobs. I am proud to have helped,
                    as I could, from the citizen side.

                    As I leared when it all became public, this was a complex multi-party
                    deal, and not a small one. The projects had to be likely to generate
                    good press. The powerplant, EPA adminstrators, commuter rail
                    operations, DCR, school district and towns all had to agree. The deal
                    could easily have unraveled. The powerplant actually paid a higher
                    effective fine by voluntarily choosing to support these worthy
                    environmental projects.

                    You can learn more about the type of settlement that was reached at:
                    http://www.epa.gov/region1/enforcement/sep/
                    And you can suggest other projects for future consideration. In our
                    case bringing people down to the banks helps create a constiuency to
                    help clean up the river. And the dam crossing makes a lot of "smart
                    growth" sense, in that it will create destinations best walked or
                    cycled to.

                    -Bryce "quite pleased" Nesbitt

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
                      Hi All,

                      I am online via dialup and a borrowed laptop for the first time in a week. Haven't had time to read all the mail but will try to get up to date asap.

                      My deepest thanks for all your support, it is much appreciated.

                      My cellphone and email is up and accessable to me again so feel free to contact me.

                      Patrick
                    • Lanny Evarts
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
                        Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: urgent request from Patrick Johnston Patrick,

                        Glad to hear from you.  Glad you're getting up and running.  Is there anything your family needs?

                        I had written inviting you to an informational coffee about Assembly Square.  I'm having a series of informal coffees for Somerville neighbors.  The next one is this Sunday, Feb 8 at 2:30 at my home in Ten Hills across from Assembly Square.  You're still welcome to come, but if the notice is too short, I'd be happy to keep you on the list for next time if you're interested.  The flyer is attached

                        These are informational meetings with the purpose of helping Somerville folks understand the issues.  We ask folks what questions they have, and listen to their concerns and suggestions.  We also share a presentation about some of the research Mystic View has done regarding developing this area.

                        I thought you might like to come so you would have a little more knowledge about what's going on and about Mystic View's efforts to optimize this opportunity.  You might also have some ideas that would be helpful to us.

                        Lots of good wishes for your family's complete recovery from this challenging experience.

                        Lanny Evarts

                        230 Fellsway, Somerville
                        evarts.lan@...
                        617/776-6821