RE: [MysticCrossing] $250K for Mystic Crossing!!!!!!!

  • Gillespie, Jason
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
      Wonderful news!!! How did this come about? Who brought our project to EPA's attention?
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
        Yahoo! Such great news. See what making the Mystic visible can do!
        Patrick- extra thanks to you for your enthusiastic boat tour for the
        folks who made these decisions-- seems to have done the trick!

        Lisa Brukilacchio

      • smith.catherine@epamail.epa.gov
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
          You owe Bryce Nesbitt a great big thanks for his quiet advocacy with the
          EPA. Janet Kovner of the Mystic River Watershed Association and Dan
          Driscoll of the DCR also have been great advocates for expanding the
          network of Mystic River paths -- and this piece in particular. Sorry we
          had to keep it so secret, but enforcement settlements are confidential
          until lodged with the court. I was working with Bryce on another
          project when he brought the Mystic crossing project to EPA's attention.

          Steven Viggiani is the EPA attorney who negotiated the Mystic Exelon
          case with the Mystic Exelon attorneys (who, to their credit, were very
          enthusiastic about the project). It was crucial to know that there was
          a lot of community support for the project, so we have been reading your
          emails for the last few months with glee!

          "Gillespie,
          Jason" To: "'MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com'"
          <Gillespj@wseinc <MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com>
          .com> cc:
          Subject: RE: [MysticCrossing] $250K for Mystic
          01/30/2004 10:14 Crossing!!!!!!!
          AM
          Please respond
          MysticCrossing

          Wonderful news!!! How did this come about? Who brought our project to
          EPA's attention?
          (Embedded image moved to file: pic07245.gif)The Boston Globe
[...]

          (Embedded image moved to file: pic28564.gif)census (Embedded image
          moved to file: pic31539.gif)

          Ofc. Patrick Johnston
          Everett Police Marine Unit

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
            Good going Bryce and all those involved. It just goes to show how
            communities, regulatory agencies and even private industries can work
            together toward reaching a common goal.

            An administrative question, which I am not sure can be completely answered
            depending on terms of the settlement, who is actually the recipient of the
            $250K(Mystic Crossing, Medford, Everett, the State, etc.) and who is to
            oversee when and how the funds are to be distributed?

            -Jason

[...]

            Subject: RE: [MysticCrossing]
            $250K for Mystic
            01/30/2004 10:14 Crossing!!!!!!!

            AM

            Please respond

            MysticCrossing

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • epdmarine@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
              Hear Hear!

              Steve Viggiani has been working on this project for 3 years and has brought about a wonderful and wondrous result not only for our Mystic Crossing but for the entire region. He exemplifies what one dedicated and caring public servant can do for millions of people.

              I've also been told that the defendants (Excelon) and the defense attorney John Proctor were also concerned about having a positive impact on our little corner so our thanks should include them.

              Bryce also deserves major kudos for his behind the scenes work in bringing this about. He has supported this project before some of us even knew about it and was able to keep it secret (Not sure I could have!) Nice job, Bryce!!

              Ofc. Patrick Johnston
              Everett Police Marine Unit
              617-905-3747
            • evarts.lan@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
                Congratulations! What wonderful news.

                Lanny

              • epdmarine@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Just a quick note to let people know that Patrick left a message on Saturday asking if I would let people know that he will be out of touch for a while.

                    Early Saturday morning, his house in Everett burned down. His message said that he and his family were all OK, but lost everything. The Everett Police will help to coordinate further assistance, but will not have any specific details until Monday. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing.

                    Patrick will be back in touch as soon as possible, but wanted people to realize that he lost his phones and computer, so will be out of communication for the immediate future.

                    Janet Kovner and I will help to coordinate some sort of watershed response. One thought that immediately came to mind was assistance to recreate Mystic files. Let one of us know if you could help create a pack of CDs with relevant materials. We'll try to keep you posted.

                    Lisa Brukilacchio
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                      The EPA staff (Steven Viggiani and Catherine Smith) deserve a lot of
                      credit here, and a hearty thanks. It is their job to work on such
                      settlements, sure, but I know they've put in an effort above and
                      beyond a simple execution of their jobs. I am proud to have helped,
                      as I could, from the citizen side.

                      As I leared when it all became public, this was a complex multi-party
                      deal, and not a small one. The projects had to be likely to generate
                      good press. The powerplant, EPA adminstrators, commuter rail
                      operations, DCR, school district and towns all had to agree. The deal
                      could easily have unraveled. The powerplant actually paid a higher
                      effective fine by voluntarily choosing to support these worthy
                      environmental projects.

                      You can learn more about the type of settlement that was reached at:
                      http://www.epa.gov/region1/enforcement/sep/
                      And you can suggest other projects for future consideration. In our
                      case bringing people down to the banks helps create a constiuency to
                      help clean up the river. And the dam crossing makes a lot of "smart
                      growth" sense, in that it will create destinations best walked or
                      cycled to.

                      -Bryce "quite pleased" Nesbitt

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
                        Hi All,

                        I am online via dialup and a borrowed laptop for the first time in a week. Haven't had time to read all the mail but will try to get up to date asap.

                        My deepest thanks for all your support, it is much appreciated.

                        My cellphone and email is up and accessable to me again so feel free to contact me.

                        Patrick
                      • Lanny Evarts
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
                          Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: urgent request from Patrick Johnston Patrick,

                          Glad to hear from you.  Glad you're getting up and running.  Is there anything your family needs?

                          I had written inviting you to an informational coffee about Assembly Square.  I'm having a series of informal coffees for Somerville neighbors.  The next one is this Sunday, Feb 8 at 2:30 at my home in Ten Hills across from Assembly Square.  You're still welcome to come, but if the notice is too short, I'd be happy to keep you on the list for next time if you're interested.  The flyer is attached

                          These are informational meetings with the purpose of helping Somerville folks understand the issues.  We ask folks what questions they have, and listen to their concerns and suggestions.  We also share a presentation about some of the research Mystic View has done regarding developing this area.

                          I thought you might like to come so you would have a little more knowledge about what's going on and about Mystic View's efforts to optimize this opportunity.  You might also have some ideas that would be helpful to us.

                          Lots of good wishes for your family's complete recovery from this challenging experience.

                          Lanny Evarts

                          230 Fellsway, Somerville
                          evarts.lan@...
                          617/776-6821