$250K for Mystic Crossing!!!!!!!

  • epdmarine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004

      Power firm to pay $5m for cleaner buses, rail

      By Anthony Flint, Globe Staff, 1/30/2004

      The owners of an Everett power plant will pay to equip Boston school buses and MBTA commuter trains north of Boston with pollution-reducing filters in a groundbreaking settlement with the Environmental Protection Agency of smokestack violations over the last five years.

      Pennsylvania-based Exelon Generation, which owns the Mystic Station power plant in Everett, will pay a $1 million fine for pumping too much soot and other harmful matter into the air from 1998 to 2003.

      The company will also pay $5 million to retrofit the Boston school bus fleet and up to 22 commuter trains with filters that block harmful emissions.

      The firm will finance three other environmental projects: a path for biking and walking along over a dam on the Mystic River, the restoration of a salt marsh in Chelsea, and a study of improvements along the Malden River.

      The settlement, filed late yesterday in US District Court in Boston, reflects a trend in which polluters pay for projects, instead of or in addition to civil penalties.

      EPA officials called the agreement historic, because it will benefit a much larger number of people than is typically the case. More than 50 communities along five rail lines north of Boston served by North Station should see less air pollution from the retrofitted trains, and Boston will become the first major US city to have a environmentally clean school bus fleet.

      "This is a big step forward for improving Boston's air quality. With the upgrading of the school buses and trains, we'll remove 100 tons of pollution from Boston's air each year," said Steven Viggiani, senior enforcement counsel for the EPA's New England office.

      The EPA, with the US Justice Department, charged Exelon with 6,000 violations of the Clean Air Act at four oil-fired units at the Mystic Station power plant over the past five years. The plant was emitting smoke that contained more soot and particulates than is allowed under the Clean Air Act. For decades, the plant was owned by Boston Edison, which was sold to Sithe Energies in 1998; Exelon became part-owner of Sithe in 2000 and purchased the plant in full in 2002. When notified about the violations, Exelon invested $2.5 million on new equipment and operating procedures, and shut down the three oldest units last year.

      Exelon has since built a 1600-megawatt, gas-fired, state-of-the-art plant in the back portion of the Mystic property.

      "These are all communities that have had to deal with industrial uses," said John O'Brien, vice president of government and regulatory affairs for Exelon. "We came to the realization there were several programs in Greater Boston that we could get involved in, that would have a direct benefit to air quality."

      The company and the EPA together came up with the idea to retrofit the buses and trains, as well as the three other projects, Viggiani said. The projects were selected for several different locations because the entire Boston area was affected by the pollution from the Everett power plant and because "we were trying to bring air benefits to as wide an area in and around Boston that we could," he said. The school bus fleet was chosen because Boston public schools started an initiative last year to equip 100 vehicles with filters.

      At $3.25 million, the retrofit of the school buses fleet is the largest part of the Exelon settlement. The money will pay for the filters, which trap particulates, smog-causing hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide, for 500 city school buses, so that a total of 600 will run cleaner by 2005. The amount also covers the cost of ultralow-sulfur fuel for the buses for two years, which is expensive and not widely available.

      "We've had a pretty good learning curve, and we're certainly in the forefront on this," said Richard Jacobs, director of transportation for Boston Public Schools. "We're very happy to be involved."

      Under the settlement, Exelon will also pay $1.25 million to equip the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority commuter trains with another kind of filter, called an oxidation catalyst. It will be the "first commuter train retrofit ever attempted in the country," Viggiani said.

      The funds will also pay for low-sulfur diesel fuel for the trains for three years. The filters are set to be on 15 to 22 trains by 2005.

      Reducing emissions from diesel-fueled buses and trains has been a major initiative for the MBTA, which in recent weeks has also rolled out new buses fueled by compressed natural gas.

      The three other projects Exelon is to fund will also have environmental benefits, officials said. The settlement calls for $250,000 to be spent on the design of a commuter bike path over the Amelia Earhart Dam on the Mystic River, a set of locks to control tidal flows built in 1966 that is currently closed to the public. The path would link the Assembly Square development site in Somerville and former industrial land on the Everett side eyed for parks and development.

      The settlement also allotted $250,000 to restore a one-acre marsh along Mill Creek in Chelsea and $118,000 a study of the restoration of the Malden River.

      Anthony Flint can be reached at flint@....

      © Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.
      © Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
      census

      Ofc. Patrick Johnston
      Everett Police Marine Unit
      617-905-3747
    • Gillespie, Jason

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
          Yahoo! Such great news. See what making the Mystic visible can do!
          Patrick- extra thanks to you for your enthusiastic boat tour for the
          folks who made these decisions-- seems to have done the trick!

          Lisa Brukilacchio

        • smith.catherine@epamail.epa.gov
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
            You owe Bryce Nesbitt a great big thanks for his quiet advocacy with the
            EPA. Janet Kovner of the Mystic River Watershed Association and Dan
            Driscoll of the DCR also have been great advocates for expanding the
            network of Mystic River paths -- and this piece in particular. Sorry we
            had to keep it so secret, but enforcement settlements are confidential
            until lodged with the court. I was working with Bryce on another
            project when he brought the Mystic crossing project to EPA's attention.

            Steven Viggiani is the EPA attorney who negotiated the Mystic Exelon
            case with the Mystic Exelon attorneys (who, to their credit, were very
            enthusiastic about the project). It was crucial to know that there was
            a lot of community support for the project, so we have been reading your
            emails for the last few months with glee!

            "Gillespie,
            Jason" To: "'MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com'"
            <Gillespj@wseinc <MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com>
            .com> cc:
            Subject: RE: [MysticCrossing] $250K for Mystic
            01/30/2004 10:14 Crossing!!!!!!!
            AM
            Please respond
            MysticCrossing

            Wonderful news!!! How did this come about? Who brought our project to
            EPA's attention?
            (Embedded image moved to file: pic07245.gif)The Boston Globe
[...]

            (Embedded image moved to file: pic28564.gif)census (Embedded image
            moved to file: pic31539.gif)

            Ofc. Patrick Johnston
            Everett Police Marine Unit

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
              Good going Bryce and all those involved. It just goes to show how
              communities, regulatory agencies and even private industries can work
              together toward reaching a common goal.

              An administrative question, which I am not sure can be completely answered
              depending on terms of the settlement, who is actually the recipient of the
              $250K(Mystic Crossing, Medford, Everett, the State, etc.) and who is to
              oversee when and how the funds are to be distributed?

              -Jason

[...]

              Subject: RE: [MysticCrossing]
              $250K for Mystic
              01/30/2004 10:14 Crossing!!!!!!!

              AM

              Please respond

              MysticCrossing

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • epdmarine@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
                Hear Hear!

                Steve Viggiani has been working on this project for 3 years and has brought about a wonderful and wondrous result not only for our Mystic Crossing but for the entire region. He exemplifies what one dedicated and caring public servant can do for millions of people.

                I've also been told that the defendants (Excelon) and the defense attorney John Proctor were also concerned about having a positive impact on our little corner so our thanks should include them.

                Bryce also deserves major kudos for his behind the scenes work in bringing this about. He has supported this project before some of us even knew about it and was able to keep it secret (Not sure I could have!) Nice job, Bryce!!

                Ofc. Patrick Johnston
                Everett Police Marine Unit
                617-905-3747
              • evarts.lan@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
                  Congratulations! What wonderful news.

                  Lanny

                • epdmarine@aol.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Just a quick note to let people know that Patrick left a message on Saturday asking if I would let people know that he will be out of touch for a while.

                      Early Saturday morning, his house in Everett burned down. His message said that he and his family were all OK, but lost everything. The Everett Police will help to coordinate further assistance, but will not have any specific details until Monday. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing.

                      Patrick will be back in touch as soon as possible, but wanted people to realize that he lost his phones and computer, so will be out of communication for the immediate future.

                      Janet Kovner and I will help to coordinate some sort of watershed response. One thought that immediately came to mind was assistance to recreate Mystic files. Let one of us know if you could help create a pack of CDs with relevant materials. We'll try to keep you posted.

                      Lisa Brukilacchio
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                        The EPA staff (Steven Viggiani and Catherine Smith) deserve a lot of
                        credit here, and a hearty thanks. It is their job to work on such
                        settlements, sure, but I know they've put in an effort above and
                        beyond a simple execution of their jobs. I am proud to have helped,
                        as I could, from the citizen side.

                        As I leared when it all became public, this was a complex multi-party
                        deal, and not a small one. The projects had to be likely to generate
                        good press. The powerplant, EPA adminstrators, commuter rail
                        operations, DCR, school district and towns all had to agree. The deal
                        could easily have unraveled. The powerplant actually paid a higher
                        effective fine by voluntarily choosing to support these worthy
                        environmental projects.

                        You can learn more about the type of settlement that was reached at:
                        http://www.epa.gov/region1/enforcement/sep/
                        And you can suggest other projects for future consideration. In our
                        case bringing people down to the banks helps create a constiuency to
                        help clean up the river. And the dam crossing makes a lot of "smart
                        growth" sense, in that it will create destinations best walked or
                        cycled to.

                        -Bryce "quite pleased" Nesbitt

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
                          Hi All,

                          I am online via dialup and a borrowed laptop for the first time in a week. Haven't had time to read all the mail but will try to get up to date asap.

                          My deepest thanks for all your support, it is much appreciated.

                          My cellphone and email is up and accessable to me again so feel free to contact me.

                          Patrick
                        • Lanny Evarts
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
                            Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: urgent request from Patrick Johnston Patrick,

                            Glad to hear from you.  Glad you're getting up and running.  Is there anything your family needs?

                            I had written inviting you to an informational coffee about Assembly Square.  I'm having a series of informal coffees for Somerville neighbors.  The next one is this Sunday, Feb 8 at 2:30 at my home in Ten Hills across from Assembly Square.  You're still welcome to come, but if the notice is too short, I'd be happy to keep you on the list for next time if you're interested.  The flyer is attached

                            These are informational meetings with the purpose of helping Somerville folks understand the issues.  We ask folks what questions they have, and listen to their concerns and suggestions.  We also share a presentation about some of the research Mystic View has done regarding developing this area.

                            I thought you might like to come so you would have a little more knowledge about what's going on and about Mystic View's efforts to optimize this opportunity.  You might also have some ideas that would be helpful to us.

                            Lots of good wishes for your family's complete recovery from this challenging experience.

                            Lanny Evarts

                            230 Fellsway, Somerville
                            evarts.lan@...
                            617/776-6821