Re: [MysticCrossing] BLURB @ Mystic Crossing in Mystic River Watershed NEWSLE...

  • epdmarine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
      Hi all,

      Here is small blurb that can be used for any purpose. Feel free.

      Reasons for creating a pedestrian crossing at the Amelia Earhart Dam:
          1.Public Access for Environmental Justice Communities
              -when dam built adjoining land was industrial now parks.
              -both Eve./Som. identified as EJ communities
          2.Vital Link in Intermodal and Alternative Transportation Plan
              -allows ped/bikes to proposed IKEA T station in Somerville
              -allows ped/bikes to proposed intermodal site at Mystic Landing in Everett.
              -allows ped/bikes access to North Shore, Upper Mystic and Downtown through Bike to Sea Trail.
          3.Supports Economic growth of both communities' retail areas.

      Studies calling for Mystic Crossing at Earhart Dam
          Assembly Square Planning Study of 2000
          Assembly Square Urban Renewal Plan
          Everett Waterfront Assessment of 2003
          Everett Open Space and Recreation Plan of 2003

      Rebuttals to Arguments Against Crossing

          Argument 1: Lock gates needed to be opened to drain river for flood control.
          Rebuttal: Flood control is achieved at Charles River Dam with pedestrian crossing and this crossing could simply be                             closed for the few hours needed before a rain event to release water downstream.

          Argument 2: Pedestrian Safety is compromised by walkways on lock gates.
          Rebuttal:While pedestrian bridges would ensure safety, they are not cost effective in this application. DCR can use this upgrade to the Earhart to address the safety concerns at the Charles River Dam and install effective, working                    pedestrian controls.

      Ofc. Patrick Johnston
      Everett Police Marine Unit
      617-905-3747
    • bryce_nesbitt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
        How do we answer concerns that meeting ADA standards (
        http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/) will push the cost of the project too
        high to be practical?

        What's the current width of the walkways on the dam tops? 36 inches i
        s the minimum accessible path width (as long as the disability
        commissions are OK with requiring wheelchairs traveling in opposite
        directions to yield to each other).

        -Bryce

      • DavidD/JaneS
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
          Greetings--

          IF a T station is ever built at Assembly Square, I do NOT think it will
          be the "IKEA" T station. IKEA is a large scale furniture store, and its
          business model is based upon cars and trucks, not public transportation.
          Furthermore, the enormous amount of traffic that big box stores such as
          IKEA will bring into Assembly Square will make high-density
          transit-oriented development just about impossible, and high-density
          transit-oriented development is what will bring a T stop to Assembly
          Square.

          Office workers would likely be the only source of T riders to the IKEA
          site since IKEA has refused to encourage T ridership by charging for
          parking or lowering its $75 delivery fee. IKEA says it will build one
          small office building during Phase I. During Phase II, IKEA says it will
          build another office building "if conditions permit." I would be
          surprised if even the Phase I office building were built, because office
          development is not what IKEA does.

          --Jane Sauer

        • sobrien@ci.somerville.ma.us
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
            The proposed MBTA station will be called the "Assembly Square Station".

            tuck

            ps. I will be scheduling a Mystic Crossing Meeting for the end of February
            in the next week or so.

            bryce_nesbitt wrote:

            >How do we answer concerns that meeting ADA standards (
            >http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/) will push the cost of the project too
            >high to be practical?
            >
            >What's the current width of the walkways on the dam tops? 36 inches i
            >s the minimum accessible path width (as long as the disability
            >commissions are OK with requiring wheelchairs traveling in opposite
            >directions to yield to each other).
            >
            > -Bryce
            >
            >--- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, epdmarine@a... wrote:
            >

            >>Hi all,
            >>
            >>Here is small blurb that can be used for any purpose. Feel free.
            >>

            >>Reasons for creating a pedestrian crossing at the Amelia Earhart
            >>

            >Dam:
            >

            >> 1.Public Access for Environmental Justice Communities
            >> -when dam built adjoining land was industrial now parks.
            >> -both Eve./Som. identified as EJ communities
            >> 2.Vital Link in Intermodal and Alternative Transportation Plan
            >> -allows ped/bikes to proposed IKEA T station in Somerville
            >> -allows ped/bikes to proposed intermodal site at Mystic
            >>

            >Landing in
            >

            >>Everett.
            >> -allows ped/bikes access to North Shore, Upper Mystic and
            >>

            >Downtown
            >

            >>through Bike to Sea Trail.
            >> 3.Supports Economic growth of both communities' retail areas.
            >>
            >>Studies calling for Mystic Crossing at Earhart Dam
            >> Assembly Square Planning Study of 2000
            >> Assembly Square Urban Renewal Plan
            >> Everett Waterfront Assessment of 2003
            >> Everett Open Space and Recreation Plan of 2003
            >>
            >>Rebuttals to Arguments Against Crossing
            >>
            >> Argument 1: Lock gates needed to be opened to drain river for
            >>

            >flood
            >

            >>control.
            >> Rebuttal: Flood control is achieved at Charles River Dam with
            >>

            >pedestrian
            >

            >>crossing and this crossing could simply be
            >>

            > closed
            >

            >>for the few hours needed before a rain event to release water
            >>

            >downstream.
            >

            >> Argument 2: Pedestrian Safety is compromised by walkways on lock
            >>

            >gates.
            >

            >> Rebuttal:While pedestrian bridges would ensure safety, they are
            >>

            >not cost
            >

            >>effective in this application. DCR can use this upgrade to the
            >>

            >Earhart to
            >

            >>address the safety concerns at the Charles River Dam and install
            >>

            >effective,
            >

            >>working pedestrian controls.
            >>

            >>Ofc. Patrick Johnston
            >>Everett Police Marine Unit
            >>617-905-3747
            >>

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >To visit your group on the web, go to:

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Lanny Evarts
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
              Good catch, Jane! Let's kill the notion of an IKEA T Station. It's fiction!

              Lanny