State Bicycle And Pedestrian Coordinators

  • epdmarine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2003
      Do we have such a person in this state? Might we want to enlist his/her aid? Any funding opportunities here? And how might 23 CFR 652 help us? (http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/pdf/23cfr652.3.pdf)

      Policies & Guidelines
      §217: 23 U.S.C. - Bicycle Transportation and Pedestrian Walkways
      As amended by the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century
      May 22, 1998
      (a) Use Of STP And Congestion Mitigation Program Funds.—
      Subject to project approval by the Secretary, a State may obligate funds
      apportioned to it under sections 104(b)(2) and 104(b)(3) of this title for
      construction of pedestrian walkways and bicycle transportation facilities
      and for carrying out nonconstruction projects related to safe bicycle use.
      (b) Use Of National Highway System Funds.—
      Subject to project approval by the Secretary, a State may obligate funds
      apportioned to it under section 104(b)(1) of this title for construction of
      pedestrian walkways and bicycle transportation facilities on land adjacent
      to any highway on the National Highway System.
      (c) Use Of Federal Lands Highway Funds.—
      Funds authorized for forest highways, forest development roads and
      trails, public lands development roads and trails, park roads, parkways,
      Indian reservation roads, and public lands highways shall be available, at
      the discretion of the department charged with the administration of such
      funds, for the construction of pedestrian walkways and bicycle
      transportation facilities in conjunction with such trails, roads, highways,
      and parkways.
      (d) State Bicycle And Pedestrian Coordinators.—
      Each State receiving an apportionment under sections 104(b)(2) and 104
      (b)(3) of this title shall use such amount of the apportionment as may be
      necessary to fund in the State department of transportation a position of
      bicycle and pedestrian coordinator for promoting and facilitating the
      increased use of nonmotorized modes of transportation, including
      developing facilities for the use of pedestrians and bicyclists and public
      education, promotional, and safety programs for using such facilities.
      (e) Bridges.—
      In any case where a highway bridge deck being replaced or rehabilitated
      with Federal financial participation is located on a highway on which
      bicycles are permitted to operate at each end of such bridge, and the
      Secretary determines that the safe accommodation of bicycles can be
      provided at reasonable cost as part of such replacement or rehabilitation,
      then such bridge shall be so replaced or rehabilitated as to provide such
      safe accommodations.
      (f) Federal Share.—
      For all purposes of this title, construction of a pedestrian walkway and a
      bicycle transportation facility shall be deemed to be a highway project
      and the Federal share payable on account of such construction shall be
      determined in accordance with section 120(b).

      Ofc. Patrick Johnston
      Everett Police Marine Unit
      617-905-3747
    • bryce_nesbitt