Copy of letter sent by Friends of the Community Path

  • bryce_nesbitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2003
      Kathy Abbot, Commissioner
      Department of Conservation and Recreation
      251 Causeway Street, Suite 600
      Boston MA 02114-2104

      December 18, 2003

      Dear Commissioner Abbot;

      We are writing in support of the recent proposal to open the top of
      the Amelia Earhart Dam to public access. Our organization, the
      Friends of the Community Path, is working on a pathway in a different
      part of Somerville. However, we recognize the value of connections.
      When fragments of paths and trails are connected together, they become
      more valuable than the sum of their parts. That spirit has moved our
      project forward, and certainly applies to the dam crossing.

      We have enclosed a map showing the potential network of paths in the
      region, including the Earhart Dam crossing. Such a network would
      offer tremendous recreational, commuting and utilitarian
      transportation benefits.

      We urge you to keep the scope of any dam crossing project reasonable.
      A project costing hundreds of thousands of dollars is not required.
      With a few simple railings, plates and warning lights, the dam
      crossing can be achieved.

      Sincerely,
      Bryce Nesbitt for
      the Friends of the Community Path