Web Site, Petition & More

  • epdmarine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2003
      Hi All,

      Some special announcements:

      1.Mystic Crossing now has a web site:
      http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/

      Please review and comment. Suggestions welcome. Pictures and text
      are free for your use. Please forward this site to all.

      2. Blank petition form uploaded to group site.

      Citizens groups please download and place in public areas for
      signatures.

      3. I am trying to consolidate all letters of support and would
      appreciate everyone creating/sending a letter of support from your
      organization to Kathy Abbott via me for the Group. A form letter has
      also been posted in the files section for you to download and use.
      Feel free to change everything.

      Public Officials: Please write a support letter realizing that we may
      pull snippets for press releases. If you do not want us to do that,
      please advise.

      Please send these letters to me as soon as possible and no later that
      Jan 15, 2004 if possible.

      Email to: MysticCrossing-owner@yahoogroups.com
      snailmail to: Patrick Johnston
      32 Gladstone Street
      Everett,Ma 02149

      4. Also looking to get excerpts from any reports, studies, etc that
      recommend the crossing. These excerpts would be be included in the
      package that would be sent out with the support letters.

      Thanks

      Patrick
    • Callaghan, Todd (ENV)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2003
        Great website Pat. I'm still trying to coordinate with our people here
        to get interest and perhaps a suport letter.

        Todd

[...]

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • r.mela@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2003
          > Our mission includes keeping the larger basin wide issues
          > in mind such as future Crossings at Routes 28, 99 and
          > 16, fish migration, flood control, recreational boating
          > and many others.

          I love it, but it sounds like focus creep. But it touches on subjects
          near and dear to my heart, so I'll comment.

          I've crossed the Mystic a lot on both 28 and 16. Rt 16 already has
          very wide sidewalks on both sides as well as passages under the
          bridge. Barriers btw the sidewalk and the road ( as on 28 ) would be
          nice, but what we've got now is adequate.

          What is really awful about 16 is crossing the Malden. The sidewalk is
          unusually narrow, and has one or two really dangerous obstructions
          popping out of the concrete. Going eastbound, the curve coming off
          the bridge and onto Mystic Way has poor visibility. I go very slowly
          so as not to startle pedestrians, but a less circumspect cyclist
          coming the other way could result in a crash ( and somebody would
          probably fall into traffic ).

          As for 28, the sidewalks are too narrow, though the concrete barrier
          makes me feel safe from any errant traffic. The other issue about 28
          is that crossing the road itself is a drag. So much so that I now
          usually take my car when I know I have to pass through that area.
        • Bryce W Nesbitt
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2003
            r.mela@... wrote:
            Our mission includes keeping the larger basin wide issues
            in mind such as future Crossings at Routes 28, 99 and
            16, fish migration, flood control, recreational boating
            and many others.

            I love it, but it sounds like focus creep.  But it touches on subjects
            near and dear to my heart, so I'll comment.
            One of the ostensible reasons to ask for the dam crossing is to create recreational loops in the lower basin, such as:

            Earhart Dam->Gateway Park->Over Route 16->Through Wellington MBTA parking Lot->Under Orange Line->Over Route 28 bridge->Back through Assembly Square to the dam.

            So keeping an eye toward the bigger picture is something I see as valuable, as long as we set firm expectations.  I'd like to see us agree on a reasonable scope for the crossing, including a budget.  Any plan that is more than a certain cost or time, we ought to reject.  I'd set the thresholds at 1 year and $200,000.