Re: [MysticCrossing] fish passage

  • Doug Mink
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2003
      jskmystic wrote:

      > re: a vision of interactive visual connection to the fish passage and
      > creating an educational opportunity -
      >
      > my 2 cents- (and perhaps a pipe dream -- but. . . )
      > I too would like to see some attention paid to the fish passage -
      > specifically something that encourages pedestrians to learn about the
      > alewife / blueback herring fish migrations, and that if possible,
      > allows them to see the fish passing through in the spring.
      > That would be a marvelous educational opportunity to connect people
      > to the resources - (fish, river, dam -- - ). (The Seattle locks
      > sound like an incredible model- perhaps the interactive nature of it
      > is something that is beyond our possibilities- but still an
      > interesting example to keep in mind)

      We got the Mass. Division of Marine Fisheries to do a program on
      anadromous fish in Boston Harbor and the Neponset River. We held
      it at a local yacht club and got quite a good turnout from the
      community surrounding the river. Then a surprisingly large number
      (more than 10) of us went down to the river at 4:00 on a Saturday morning
      to watch the shad run below the Dorchester Lower Mills dam. I think
      a similar program centered around the Earhart dam would be a good idea.

      -Doug Mink