MAPC Mystic River Forum Wed Oct 28th

  • StephenW
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2009
      SOMERVILLE - Conservation, recreation and development along the Lower Mystic River will be the key topics of a public forum hosted in Somerville City Hall on Wednesday, October 28, 2009.

      The forum, which is free and open to the public, is part of the Lower Mystic River Corridor Strategy Project Ð a collaborative effort to envision a brighter future for the Lower Mystic River area.

      Project coordinators include the Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC), the Boston Redevelopment Authority, and the cities of Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Medford and Somerville. The study area encompasses portions of the Malden River, the Island End River in Everett and Chelsea, the Chelsea River, and Mill Creek, which serves as the city border between Revere and Chelsea.

      The meeting will help create a collective vision for the river corridor, and will help develop action recommendations to realize the full potential of the Lower Mystic River. Discussion topics will cover the importance of regional cooperation on the Lower Mystic, the publicÕs role in building a better future for the Lower Mystic and its tributaries, and will feature a demonstration of a dynamic Web-based Lower Mystic map.

      Accompanying the event will be an exhibit of river-themed childrenÕs artwork, sponsored by the Environmental Justice Committee of La Comunidad, Inc. in Everett. The art project was designed to make children aware of the Mystic River and its importance to the community.

      The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, October 28 in Somerville City HallÕs Board of Aldermen Chambers, located at 93 Highland Avenue in Somerville. Directions for parking and public transportation are available on the cityÕs Web site, www.somervillema.gov.

      This project is funded by the District Local Technical Assistance (DLTA) program and a contribution from the MWRA. Find the final project report online at www.mapc.org/projects_initiatives_/mystic_river.html.

      For more information about the forum, please contact MAPC Land Resources Planner Joan Blaustein at 617-451-2770 x2023 or jblaustein@....

      The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is a regional planning agency that works to promote smart growth and regional collaboration in 101 cities and towns in Greater Boston.
    • Doug Mink
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2009
        Hi Steve,
        > SOMERVILLE - Conservation, recreation and development along the Lower
        > Mystic River will be the key topics of a public forum hosted in
        > Somerville City Hall on Wednesday, October 28, 2009.

        I missed this but was wondering whether Boston was represented to
        cover the Charlestown end of the Mystic. The paths along the river
        are central to connecting Boston to its northern suburbs, and
        I hope the Boston end is being considered, too.

        -Doug
      • Wig Zamore
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2009

          Hi Doug,

          MAPC presented issues equitably across all participating municipalities, showing their base maps, online tools and links.  Q&A with the audience focused broadly on environment with secondary interest in industry and current Mystic River users, as well as affordable housing, open space, environmental justice, multi-modal connections and accessibility of all types.  Boston city staff were visible but there were no specific audience questions that were Boston based.  That said, the audience questions went more by topic than location of speaker.

          Regards, Wig