Rails to Trails Action Aleter

  • swinslow4152
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2009
      For the past several months, we have frequently mentioned Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's (RTC) 2010 Campaign for Active Transportation. The campaign aims to provide focused federal investments for dozens of communities across the country, transforming them into more trail-friendly, walkable, bikable places. The long-term economic benefits to communities from such investments could save us tens of billions of dollars nationally.

      Congress has begun drafting the next multi-year transportation bill.

      This is our best opportunity to get in on the ground floor.

      Representatives often show their support for specific policies through a "dear colleague" letter. Rep. Lipinski (D-Ill.) has drafted such a letter for members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee to sign. The letter supports, among other requests*, the call of RTC's 2010 Campaign for Active Transportation to invest in integrating active transportation infrastructure to allow more people to walk, bike and take transit. Your representative is on this committee.

      Therefore, please contact Michael E. Capuano 's and Edward Markey's office and ask that this letter be signed. (See link below)

      https://secure2.convio.net/rtt/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=162

      If enough representatives champion active transportation, we can be sure that the bill will better support and fund trails, walking and biking.

      Please take a minute to speak up now.

      When we have a healthier, cleaner, more prosperous nation, you'll be able to say you helped make it happen.

      Thank you,

      Rails-to-Trails Conservancy

      * Including the establishment of a federal Complete Streets policy requiring all new federally funded roads accommodate cyclists and pedestrians, increased funding for the Recreational Trails program, redistributing federal safety funds to reduce the disproportionate number of cyclist and pedestrian fatalities, and increased funding for the popular Safe Routes to School national program.

      || home || forward to a friend || unsubscribe || view in browser
      Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
      2121 Ward Ct., NW
      5th Floor
      Washington, DC 20037