Re: Meeting on Mystic Crossing / Option 6

  • swinslow@ci.somerville.ma.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2007
      Actual Bryce the problem is exactly the opposite.. The large lock is open
      for extended periods of time up to 100 days per year to let out the water
      from the Mystic River.... Unlike the Charles River Dam that has sluice ways
      that allow water to bypass the dam and locks, the only way to get water down
      stream without pumping is to open up the locks... DCR indicates that means
      that the locks will be impassable 30 to 40%.. So a single drawbridge
      solution would best focus on the large lock...

      Stephen Winslow
      Senior Planner
      City of Somerville
      93 Highland Avenue
      Somerville MA 02143
      617-625-6600 x2519
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2007
        Ah, good information. Previously I'd heard it was one of the small
        locks used that way, but I never managed to make it down there in high
        water to see.

        I also understand they do fish runs, opening a small lock if too many
        alewife or other fish are attempting to swim upstream.

        A drawbridge on the large lock also makes the travel route much more direct.

        How often is the large lock used to pass an actual waterborne vessel?
        Or put another way, how often would a drawbridge need to be opened?

        -Bryce Nesbitt