Option 6 for Dam Crossing

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2007
      While I understand it was not outlined by the VHB consulting firm last
      night, there is an "option 6" for the dam crossing:

      Build small pedestrian drawbridges crossing over the smaller locks
      (the largest lock is not opened often enough to worry about).

      With this solution, there will be no need to raise the drawbridges
      when smaller boats (e.g. powerboats, kyacks) slip underneath. The
      drawbridges need only be raised briefly at high tides or when a
      sailboat passes. This resolves most of the pedestrian delay issues,
      and should come in only a little bit more expensive than Option 1.

      These structures are much more common in Europe than the USA. Some
      designs require only minimal foundations or mounting. The dam
      structure need supply only enough support to raise the (empty) bridge
      to the retracted position. and the existing hollow structure is not
      that fragile.