Meeting on Mystic Crossing

  • swinslow4152
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
      Notice of Public Meeting

      A public information meeting will be held by the Department of
      Conservation and Recreation (DCR) to discuss the feasibility of
      providing a pedestrian crossing over the Mystic River in the Vicinity
      of the Amelia Earhart Dam located in Somerville and Everett,
      Massachusetts. The meeting will also discuss the feasibility of
      extending the Draw 7 Park bike path through the MBTA's Charlestown
      Bus Maintenance Facility to Route 9.

      Where: Winter Hill Yacht Club
      85 Foley St.
      Somerville, MA 02145

      When: Tuesday April 24, 2007 7:00 P.M.

      Purpose: The purpose of the meeting is to provide the public
      with the opportunity to become fully acquainted with and comment on
      the project.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2007
        Thanks for posting that, Steve!

        Some project background is available over at:
        http://pathfriends.org/lower_mystic/
        The official meeting notice appears to be:
        http://www.mass.gov/dcr/news/pm4-24-07.pdf

        -Bryce (from California)
      • alan124moore2003
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2007
          To Dan Driscoll, VHB staff, Steve Winslow and other participants:

          Good presentation and attendance at last night's meeting on the Mystic
          River Crossing alternatives.

          Is there any way to post the presentation or at least some summary of
          the alternatives that have been evaluated?

          The consensus seemed to be that the remaining settlement funds would
          be well spent to design the Mystic River path through the MBTA bus
          yard to Route 99 and to continue to flesh out some unanswered aspects
          of the Mystic River crossing alternatives.

          Steve and others suggested that we have other bridge designers and/or
          MIT students look at the crossing of the locks/dam alternative and see
          if some other creative solutions can be found to the periodic closing
          issues. I volunteer to organize this effort but would like some help.
          One idea I have from having lived in The Netherlands for 3 years is to
          look for ideas from engineers there where there are literally hundreds
          of ped/bike corssing of locks and dams.

          Alan Moore

          --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>