Re: Meeting on the Wellington / Rt 28 Underpass

  • kenmedford
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
      --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
      > Where's the pedestrian and bike accessibility?

      Exactly. The lack of any bike-ped accommodations is a glaring omission
      and important to note in comment letters.

      - Ken
    • Jon Niehof
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
        --- kenmedford <kenneth.krause@...> wrote:

        > Exactly. The lack of any bike-ped accommodations is a glaring
        > omission and important to note in comment letters.

        And probably illegal under Massachusetts law; hopefully the
        issue will be resolved in detailed design (if not in the plan!).
        The whole situation with Route 16 in particular and
        Malden/Mystic crossings in general has been something I've been
        keeping my eye on for awhile. MassBike/MetroBoston has been
        preparing comments on the plan; I'll dig in and make sure we
        have something on these projects in particular.

        Thanks for pointing this one out.

        8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
      • kenmedford
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
          --- Jon Niehof <jon_niehof@...> wrote:

          > And probably illegal under Massachusetts law.

          Actually, these accommodations are REQUIRED by law, although you'd
          never know it.

          Massachusetts is one of three states (the others are Oregon and
          Rhode Island) to have a state law requiring the state department of
          transportation (in our case, the Massachusetts Highway Department;
          notice the nomenclature) accommodate bicycles and pedestrians into
          the design and construction of every project. The bill, enacted as
          Massachusetts General Law Chapter 87 of the Acts of 1996, was
          sponsored by Representative Anne Paulsen (D-Belmont). Sometimes
          referred to as the "Paulsen Bill", it was approved on May 20, 1996.

          The basic text of MGL 87 amends Chapter 90E of the General Laws, as
          follows:

          "The commissioner shall make all reasonable provisions for the
          accommodation of bicycle and pedestrian traffic in the planning,
          design, and construction, reconstruction or maintenance of any
          project undertaken by the department. Such provisions that are
          unreasonable shall include, but not be limited to, those which the
          commissioner, after appropriate review by the bicycle
          programcoordinator, determines would be contrary to acceptable
          standards of public safety, degrade environmental quality or
          conflict with existing rights-of-way".

          Specific regulations and design standards have been developed for
          Ch. 90E. The law, as revised, provides the impetus for MassHighway
          to incorporate bicycle and pedestrian facilities into the planning
          of projects or to prove that such facilities are inappropriate for a
          specific project(s).

          New design standards for bicycle facilities are included in the 2006
          MassHighway Project Development and Design Guide. Standards call for
          5-foot minimum widths and 6-foot preferred widths for bike lanes and
          4-foot minimum widths for shoulders designated for bicycles.

          - Ken
        • Jon Niehof
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
            --- kenmedford <kenneth.krause@...> wrote:
            > --- Jon Niehof <jon_niehof@...> wrote:
            > > And probably illegal under Massachusetts law.
            >
            > Actually, these accommodations are REQUIRED by law, although
            > you'd never know it.

            Ken--
            I was replying to your message which said "lack of"; lacking
            accommodation for cyclists and pedestrians is in violation of
            the Paulsen bill.

            I'm familiar with the Paulsen bill, the new design manual (I
            commented on it), and the Romney 20-year transportation plan
            (which sadly appears to be dead now, as the revised version was
            MUCH better and something I was proud be part of). Unfortunately
            DCR has not adopted the MHD design manual as there is a strong
            resistance to either expanding pavement on parkland or doing
            anything that could be perceived as limiting the carrying
            capacity for high-speed motorists. Nonmotorized transportation
            (whether "business" or "pleasure") gets caught in the middle.
            Commissioner Burrington "got it" (as a cyclist) and I hope
            whomever is the new permanent commissioner will similarly
            understand the balance.

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.