Re: Meeting on the Wellington / Rt 28 Underpass

  • kenmedford
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
      --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
      > What's in planning for the other side of the river -- Rt 16/28
      > (Wellington Circle), and the Rt 16 bridge over the Malden river?

      The below project is listed in Journey to 2030, the Boston
      Metropolitan Planning Organization's Long Range Transportation Plan,
      which currently is open to public comment until March 27:

      Everett and Medford: Route 16 (Revere Beach Parkway)

      Widen Route 16 where necessary to provide a
      continuous six-lane mainline parkway cross-section
      between Route 38 in Medford and Sweetser
      Circle in Everett, except for a four-lane segment
      in the vicinity of Wellington Circle. Wellington
      Circle will be replaced with a tight single-point
      diamond interchange, under which the four-lane
      section of Route 16 would pass.

      At the western limit of the project, the Interstate
      93, Route 38, and Route 16 ramps will be
      realigned and relocated where necessary and
      additional ramps will be constructed. The connection
      between I-93 and Route 38 will be realigned
      and reconstructed by switching the I-93 southbound
      on-ramp and off-ramp, so that the current
      on-ramp becomes the off-ramp and vice versa. In
      addition, the on-ramp and off-ramp from Route
      38 to I-93 northbound will be relocated to a new
      grade-separated interchange and combined with a
      new connection from Route 16 directly onto I-93.

      Estimated cost: $93 million.

      Another project in the plan is to build a bypass road from westbound
      Route 16 in Everett to Commercial Way in Medford that would serve
      the River's Edge complex.

      Everett, Malden and Medford: Telecom City Boulevard

      Construct a two-lane, median-divided roadway
      between Santilli Highway in Everett and Corporation
      Way in Medford, with a bridge across the
      Malden River. This new road will link the entire
      River's Edge development project, located on
      both sides of the river, into one unified campus.
      Santilli Highway and Route 16 in Everett will
      provide primary vehicular site access; Corporation
      Way will also provide access from the west
      side of the campus. The new road will accommodate
      public traffic and will improve access
      between the three communities.

      Estimated cost: $15.2 million

      See all the projects here:

      http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/resources/plan/plan.htm

      - Ken Krause
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
        Thanks.

        Where's the pedestrian and bike accessibility? 16 and 28 segment what
        could be long, continuous trails. The underpass from the Mystic
        Reservation to Riverbend Park is an example of how to do it right.
        Also, sidewalk widths -- the wide sidewal on 16 over the mystic was
        important in making my bike commute to Kendall possible.

        It'd be great to have a "what's happening to my town" web site that has
        all this stuff for residents, people curious about planning, and house
        hunters considering a community, people investing in real estate, etc.

        I s'pose I could do one, if I could get the information stream.

        kenmedford wrote:

        > --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
        > > What's in planning for the other side of the river -- Rt 16/28
        > > (Wellington Circle), and the Rt 16 bridge over the Malden river?
        >
        > The below project is listed in Journey to 2030, the Boston
        > Metropolitan Planning Organization's Long Range Transportation Plan,
        > which currently is open to public comment until March 27:
        >
        > Everett and Medford: Route 16 (Revere Beach Parkway)
        >
        > Widen Route 16 where necessary to provide a
        > continuous six-lane mainline parkway cross-section
        > between Route 38 in Medford and Sweetser
        > Circle in Everett, except for a four-lane segment
        > in the vicinity of Wellington Circle. Wellington
        > Circle will be replaced with a tight single-point
        > diamond interchange, under which the four-lane
        > section of Route 16 would pass.
        >
        > At the western limit of the project, the Interstate
        > 93, Route 38, and Route 16 ramps will be
        > realigned and relocated where necessary and
        > additional ramps will be constructed. The connection
        > between I-93 and Route 38 will be realigned
        > and reconstructed by switching the I-93 southbound
        > on-ramp and off-ramp, so that the current
        > on-ramp becomes the off-ramp and vice versa. In
        > addition, the on-ramp and off-ramp from Route
        > 38 to I-93 northbound will be relocated to a new
        > grade-separated interchange and combined with a
        > new connection from Route 16 directly onto I-93.
        >
        > Estimated cost: $93 million.
        >
        > Another project in the plan is to build a bypass road from westbound
        > Route 16 in Everett to Commercial Way in Medford that would serve
        > the River's Edge complex.
        >
        > Everett, Malden and Medford: Telecom City Boulevard
        >
        > Construct a two-lane, median-divided roadway
        > between Santilli Highway in Everett and Corporation
        > Way in Medford, with a bridge across the
        > Malden River. This new road will link the entire
        > River's Edge development project, located on
        > both sides of the river, into one unified campus.
        > Santilli Highway and Route 16 in Everett will
        > provide primary vehicular site access; Corporation
        > Way will also provide access from the west
        > side of the campus. The new road will accommodate
        > public traffic and will improve access
        > between the three communities.
        >
        > Estimated cost: $15.2 million
        >
        > See all the projects here:
        >
        > http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/resources/plan/plan.htm
        > <http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/resources/plan/plan.htm>
        >
        > - Ken Krause

      • kenmedford
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
          --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
          > Where's the pedestrian and bike accessibility?

          Exactly. The lack of any bike-ped accommodations is a glaring omission
          and important to note in comment letters.

          - Ken
        • Jon Niehof
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
            --- kenmedford <kenneth.krause@...> wrote:

            > Exactly. The lack of any bike-ped accommodations is a glaring
            > omission and important to note in comment letters.

            And probably illegal under Massachusetts law; hopefully the
            issue will be resolved in detailed design (if not in the plan!).
            The whole situation with Route 16 in particular and
            Malden/Mystic crossings in general has been something I've been
            keeping my eye on for awhile. MassBike/MetroBoston has been
            preparing comments on the plan; I'll dig in and make sure we
            have something on these projects in particular.

            Thanks for pointing this one out.

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
          • kenmedford
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
              --- Jon Niehof <jon_niehof@...> wrote:

              > And probably illegal under Massachusetts law.

              Actually, these accommodations are REQUIRED by law, although you'd
              never know it.

              Massachusetts is one of three states (the others are Oregon and
              Rhode Island) to have a state law requiring the state department of
              transportation (in our case, the Massachusetts Highway Department;
              notice the nomenclature) accommodate bicycles and pedestrians into
              the design and construction of every project. The bill, enacted as
              Massachusetts General Law Chapter 87 of the Acts of 1996, was
              sponsored by Representative Anne Paulsen (D-Belmont). Sometimes
              referred to as the "Paulsen Bill", it was approved on May 20, 1996.

              The basic text of MGL 87 amends Chapter 90E of the General Laws, as
              follows:

              "The commissioner shall make all reasonable provisions for the
              accommodation of bicycle and pedestrian traffic in the planning,
              design, and construction, reconstruction or maintenance of any
              project undertaken by the department. Such provisions that are
              unreasonable shall include, but not be limited to, those which the
              commissioner, after appropriate review by the bicycle
              programcoordinator, determines would be contrary to acceptable
              standards of public safety, degrade environmental quality or
              conflict with existing rights-of-way".

              Specific regulations and design standards have been developed for
              Ch. 90E. The law, as revised, provides the impetus for MassHighway
              to incorporate bicycle and pedestrian facilities into the planning
              of projects or to prove that such facilities are inappropriate for a
              specific project(s).

              New design standards for bicycle facilities are included in the 2006
              MassHighway Project Development and Design Guide. Standards call for
              5-foot minimum widths and 6-foot preferred widths for bike lanes and
              4-foot minimum widths for shoulders designated for bicycles.

              - Ken
            • Jon Niehof
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
                --- kenmedford <kenneth.krause@...> wrote:
                > --- Jon Niehof <jon_niehof@...> wrote:
                > > And probably illegal under Massachusetts law.
                >
                > Actually, these accommodations are REQUIRED by law, although
                > you'd never know it.

                Ken--
                I was replying to your message which said "lack of"; lacking
                accommodation for cyclists and pedestrians is in violation of
                the Paulsen bill.

                I'm familiar with the Paulsen bill, the new design manual (I
                commented on it), and the Romney 20-year transportation plan
                (which sadly appears to be dead now, as the revised version was
                MUCH better and something I was proud be part of). Unfortunately
                DCR has not adopted the MHD design manual as there is a strong
                resistance to either expanding pavement on parkland or doing
                anything that could be perceived as limiting the carrying
                capacity for high-speed motorists. Nonmotorized transportation
                (whether "business" or "pleasure") gets caught in the middle.
                Commissioner Burrington "got it" (as a cyclist) and I hope
                whomever is the new permanent commissioner will similarly
                understand the balance.

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.