Re: [MysticCrossing] Meeting on the Wellington / Rt 28 Underpass

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2007
      This reminds me -- what's in planning for the other side of the river --
      Rt 16/28 ( Wellington Circle ), and the Rt 16 bridge over the Malden river?

      swinslow4152 wrote:

      > Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone
      >
      > & the
      >
      > Aldermen Walter Pero and
      > William Roche
      > invite you to a Community Meeting
      > on proposal for a
      > Pedestrian Walkway
      > Under the Wellington Bridge, Route 28
      > Between Ten Hills and Assembly Square
      >
      > WHEN: Tuesday, March 13, 2007
      > 6:30 p.m.
      >
      > WHERE: The Mystic Activity Center
      > 530 Mystic Ave # 103, Somerville
      > (The Mystic Activity Center is in the Mystic River Housing
      > Development
      > located on Mystic Avenue at Memorial Road near the intersection of
      > Shore Drive)
      >
      > The Meeting involves a review and comment
      > On the Preliminary Plans.
      >
      > Stephen Winslow
      > Senior Planner
      > City of Somerville
      > 93 Highland Avenue
      > Somerville MA 02143

    • kenmedford
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
        --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
        > What's in planning for the other side of the river -- Rt 16/28
        > (Wellington Circle), and the Rt 16 bridge over the Malden river?

        The below project is listed in Journey to 2030, the Boston
        Metropolitan Planning Organization's Long Range Transportation Plan,
        which currently is open to public comment until March 27:

        Everett and Medford: Route 16 (Revere Beach Parkway)

        Widen Route 16 where necessary to provide a
        continuous six-lane mainline parkway cross-section
        between Route 38 in Medford and Sweetser
        Circle in Everett, except for a four-lane segment
        in the vicinity of Wellington Circle. Wellington
        Circle will be replaced with a tight single-point
        diamond interchange, under which the four-lane
        section of Route 16 would pass.

        At the western limit of the project, the Interstate
        93, Route 38, and Route 16 ramps will be
        realigned and relocated where necessary and
        additional ramps will be constructed. The connection
        between I-93 and Route 38 will be realigned
        and reconstructed by switching the I-93 southbound
        on-ramp and off-ramp, so that the current
        on-ramp becomes the off-ramp and vice versa. In
        addition, the on-ramp and off-ramp from Route
        38 to I-93 northbound will be relocated to a new
        grade-separated interchange and combined with a
        new connection from Route 16 directly onto I-93.

        Estimated cost: $93 million.

        Another project in the plan is to build a bypass road from westbound
        Route 16 in Everett to Commercial Way in Medford that would serve
        the River's Edge complex.

        Everett, Malden and Medford: Telecom City Boulevard

        Construct a two-lane, median-divided roadway
        between Santilli Highway in Everett and Corporation
        Way in Medford, with a bridge across the
        Malden River. This new road will link the entire
        River's Edge development project, located on
        both sides of the river, into one unified campus.
        Santilli Highway and Route 16 in Everett will
        provide primary vehicular site access; Corporation
        Way will also provide access from the west
        side of the campus. The new road will accommodate
        public traffic and will improve access
        between the three communities.

        Estimated cost: $15.2 million

        See all the projects here:

        http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/resources/plan/plan.htm

        - Ken Krause
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
          Thanks.

          Where's the pedestrian and bike accessibility? 16 and 28 segment what
          could be long, continuous trails. The underpass from the Mystic
          Reservation to Riverbend Park is an example of how to do it right.
          Also, sidewalk widths -- the wide sidewal on 16 over the mystic was
          important in making my bike commute to Kendall possible.

          It'd be great to have a "what's happening to my town" web site that has
          all this stuff for residents, people curious about planning, and house
          hunters considering a community, people investing in real estate, etc.

          I s'pose I could do one, if I could get the information stream.

          kenmedford wrote:

          > --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
          > > What's in planning for the other side of the river -- Rt 16/28
          > > (Wellington Circle), and the Rt 16 bridge over the Malden river?
          >
          > The below project is listed in Journey to 2030, the Boston
          > Metropolitan Planning Organization's Long Range Transportation Plan,
          > which currently is open to public comment until March 27:
          >
          > Everett and Medford: Route 16 (Revere Beach Parkway)
          >
          > Widen Route 16 where necessary to provide a
          > continuous six-lane mainline parkway cross-section
          > between Route 38 in Medford and Sweetser
          > Circle in Everett, except for a four-lane segment
          > in the vicinity of Wellington Circle. Wellington
          > Circle will be replaced with a tight single-point
          > diamond interchange, under which the four-lane
          > section of Route 16 would pass.
          >
          > At the western limit of the project, the Interstate
          > 93, Route 38, and Route 16 ramps will be
          > realigned and relocated where necessary and
          > additional ramps will be constructed. The connection
          > between I-93 and Route 38 will be realigned
          > and reconstructed by switching the I-93 southbound
          > on-ramp and off-ramp, so that the current
          > on-ramp becomes the off-ramp and vice versa. In
          > addition, the on-ramp and off-ramp from Route
          > 38 to I-93 northbound will be relocated to a new
          > grade-separated interchange and combined with a
          > new connection from Route 16 directly onto I-93.
          >
          > Estimated cost: $93 million.
          >
          > Another project in the plan is to build a bypass road from westbound
          > Route 16 in Everett to Commercial Way in Medford that would serve
          > the River's Edge complex.
          >
          > Everett, Malden and Medford: Telecom City Boulevard
          >
          > Construct a two-lane, median-divided roadway
          > between Santilli Highway in Everett and Corporation
          > Way in Medford, with a bridge across the
          > Malden River. This new road will link the entire
          > River's Edge development project, located on
          > both sides of the river, into one unified campus.
          > Santilli Highway and Route 16 in Everett will
          > provide primary vehicular site access; Corporation
          > Way will also provide access from the west
          > side of the campus. The new road will accommodate
          > public traffic and will improve access
          > between the three communities.
          >
          > Estimated cost: $15.2 million
          >
          > See all the projects here:
          >
          > http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/resources/plan/plan.htm
          > <http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/resources/plan/plan.htm>
          >
          > - Ken Krause

        • kenmedford
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
            --- Robert Mela <rmela@...> wrote:
            > Where's the pedestrian and bike accessibility?

            Exactly. The lack of any bike-ped accommodations is a glaring omission
            and important to note in comment letters.

            - Ken
          • Jon Niehof
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
              --- kenmedford <kenneth.krause@...> wrote:

              > Exactly. The lack of any bike-ped accommodations is a glaring
              > omission and important to note in comment letters.

              And probably illegal under Massachusetts law; hopefully the
              issue will be resolved in detailed design (if not in the plan!).
              The whole situation with Route 16 in particular and
              Malden/Mystic crossings in general has been something I've been
              keeping my eye on for awhile. MassBike/MetroBoston has been
              preparing comments on the plan; I'll dig in and make sure we
              have something on these projects in particular.

              Thanks for pointing this one out.

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
            • kenmedford
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
                --- Jon Niehof <jon_niehof@...> wrote:

                > And probably illegal under Massachusetts law.

                Actually, these accommodations are REQUIRED by law, although you'd
                never know it.

                Massachusetts is one of three states (the others are Oregon and
                Rhode Island) to have a state law requiring the state department of
                transportation (in our case, the Massachusetts Highway Department;
                notice the nomenclature) accommodate bicycles and pedestrians into
                the design and construction of every project. The bill, enacted as
                Massachusetts General Law Chapter 87 of the Acts of 1996, was
                sponsored by Representative Anne Paulsen (D-Belmont). Sometimes
                referred to as the "Paulsen Bill", it was approved on May 20, 1996.

                The basic text of MGL 87 amends Chapter 90E of the General Laws, as
                follows:

                "The commissioner shall make all reasonable provisions for the
                accommodation of bicycle and pedestrian traffic in the planning,
                design, and construction, reconstruction or maintenance of any
                project undertaken by the department. Such provisions that are
                unreasonable shall include, but not be limited to, those which the
                commissioner, after appropriate review by the bicycle
                programcoordinator, determines would be contrary to acceptable
                standards of public safety, degrade environmental quality or
                conflict with existing rights-of-way".

                Specific regulations and design standards have been developed for
                Ch. 90E. The law, as revised, provides the impetus for MassHighway
                to incorporate bicycle and pedestrian facilities into the planning
                of projects or to prove that such facilities are inappropriate for a
                specific project(s).

                New design standards for bicycle facilities are included in the 2006
                MassHighway Project Development and Design Guide. Standards call for
                5-foot minimum widths and 6-foot preferred widths for bike lanes and
                4-foot minimum widths for shoulders designated for bicycles.

                - Ken
              • Jon Niehof
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2007
                  --- kenmedford <kenneth.krause@...> wrote:
                  > --- Jon Niehof <jon_niehof@...> wrote:
                  > > And probably illegal under Massachusetts law.
                  >
                  > Actually, these accommodations are REQUIRED by law, although
                  > you'd never know it.

                  Ken--
                  I was replying to your message which said "lack of"; lacking
                  accommodation for cyclists and pedestrians is in violation of
                  the Paulsen bill.

                  I'm familiar with the Paulsen bill, the new design manual (I
                  commented on it), and the Romney 20-year transportation plan
                  (which sadly appears to be dead now, as the revised version was
                  MUCH better and something I was proud be part of). Unfortunately
                  DCR has not adopted the MHD design manual as there is a strong
                  resistance to either expanding pavement on parkland or doing
                  anything that could be perceived as limiting the carrying
                  capacity for high-speed motorists. Nonmotorized transportation
                  (whether "business" or "pleasure") gets caught in the middle.
                  Commissioner Burrington "got it" (as a cyclist) and I hope
                  whomever is the new permanent commissioner will similarly
                  understand the balance.

                  Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.