FW: Environmental Justice Bill Receives Hearing Monday October 24th at 1PM

  • EPD Marine
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2005
      Message
      Just got this!!

      Officer Patrick Johnston
      Everett Police-Marine Unit

      From: Elizabeth Debski [mailto:beth.debski@...]
      Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 10:58 AM
      To: EPD.Marine@...
      Subject: FW: Environmental Justice Bill Receives Hearing Monday October 24th at 1PM

      FYI
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Durrant, Colin (SEN) [mailto:Colin.Durrant@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 2:19 PM

      Dear supporters and friends of environmental justice,

      In the past you have expressed an interest in S. 471, Senator Barrios' environmental justice bill.  am writing to inform you that S. 471 will receive a public hearing before the Joint Committee on Natural Resources & Agriculture this Monday October 24th at 1:00PM in Room B-1.  I apologize for the late notice, however it was an extremely busy week as the Senate prepared to vote and approve Senator Barrios' anti-gang bill.  The bill will encourage increased enforcement, resources and public participation in environmental justice communities, and will help encourage brownfields development to spur economic development. The full bill text is available at:  http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st00/st00471.htm

      Please also note the Representative David Sullivan (Fall River), our house sponsor, filed companion legislation (the same bill).  The bill # is H.1256 and is available at: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht01/ht01295.htm

      As we all know, every resident in MA deserves the right to clean air and water and S. 471 will go a long way in ensuring that communities long overburdened by the state's pollution will receive relief.  In fact, 66.5% of MA residents live in communities with EJ populations.

      If you are unable to attend the hearing and give testimony in person I encourage you to submit written testimony to the Chairman of the Committee. I have attached talking points which you may find helpful in crafting your testimony/letter.  You can write to:

      Chairwoman Pamela Resor
      State House, Room 410
      Boston, MA 02133

      Chairman Frank Smizik
      State House, Room 473F
      Boston, MA 02133

      Again, apologies for the late notice.  Last year we were able to get the bill passed in the Senate and almost to a vote in the House.  Hopefully, this year with your help and support we will see this bill passed by both the House and Senate. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      ---
      Colin B. Durrant
      Director of Communications and Public Policy
      Senator Jarrett T. Barrios (D-Cambridge)
      Office: 617.722.1650 | Fax:  617.722.1323
      senatorbarrios.org

      Representing the communities of Allston, Brighton, Cambridge, Charlestown, Chelsea, Everett, Revere, Saugus and Somerville