Report: Boston Harborwalk Association tours Charlestown Yard

    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2005
      Thursday May 12th, 2005

      Today Sarah Kelly, new interim director of the Boston Harborwalk
      Association toured the Charlestown Yard path site. This where the
      MBTA is settling an EPA fine, by transfering a 3/4 mile long swath of
      riverfront for public access.

      Janice Kearney of MBTA environmental set up the visit with bus repair
      garage supervisor Brian Hinds. We visited both the Assembly Square /
      Draw 7 park / Amelia Earhart Dam side, and the Route 99 / Harborwalk
      side. In particular we paid attention to how a person would travel
      from the existing Boston Harborwalk, through Sullivan Rotary, and then
      along the river behind the Charlestown MBTA facility.

      The MBTA garage supes (several of them), greeted us warmly. That is,
      once we found them! One supe felt that a new path would be great for
      use during lunch breaks. We mostly looked at the layout of things.
      This was not a design meeting, just an opportunity to look at the site

      It is my hope that the Boston Harborwalk Association will adpot this
      segment as 'intended harborwalk', to give additional visibility to the
      project. If this is built as harbowalk, it would help ensure
      consistent branding and connectivity with the rest of the pathways
      along the harbor.

      Bryce "just visiting for a week" Nesbitt

      NB: Find background on the project at
      http://www.pathfriends.org/lower_mystic/
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2005
        Sarah Kelly has agreed to bring the issue of designation up with the
        Boston Redevelopment Authority, in early June. If anyone has BRA
        contacts, some reinforcement would be helpful.

        --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@o...>