Important Hearing on Bicyclists' Bill of Rights & Responsibilities TOMORROW at the State House at 10am

  • Jennifer Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
      Wednesday, April 27 (Tomorrow)
      10:00am
      State House Hearing Room B-1
      A hearing will be held by the Public Safety Committee to hear testimony
      about H.1411 Bicyclists' Bill of Rights and Responsibilities. You can see a
      list of the members of this committee here:
      http://mass.gov/legis/comm/j22.htm
      If you are not able to attend, you could call or write members of the
      committee or your elected officials to let them know your views on the bill.

      To read the full text of the bill [it's only 5 pages and is quite clear
      compared to other legislative language that I've seen], visit the MassBike
      (Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition) website at www.massbike.org.

      Here is what MassBike says about the bill:
      "This is a crucial piece of legislation that codifies bicyclists' right to
      be on the road, requires police to receive training in bike laws, and
      mandates that drivers check before opening their car doors. We need you to
      come show your support for this bill! It is essential that we have a good
      turnout of cycling advocates. Please email mike@... if you'll be
      able to attend."

      To have the best transportation network means to have viable choices -
      sometimes it makes sense to use a car, other times bicycle, and other times
      you may want to walk down the Community Path to get where you need to go.
      Many folks have worked hard to bring this legislation into being so that the
      choice of using a bicycle is respected in the laws of Massachusetts.

      If you work nearby, please consider coming to the Hearing for a period of
      time to show your support and/or to testify. For talking points and tips
      about testifying, contact Mike Lydon mike@...

      Jennifer Hill
      ******************************
      Jennifer Hill
      Executive Director
      Groundwork Somerville
      PO Box 441033
      408 Highland Avenue
      Somerville, MA 02144
      617.628.9988 (v)
      617.623.5943 (f)
      www.GroundworkSomerville.org
      Changing Places, Changing Lives
    • Jon Niehof
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
        You can also email mike@... for some more information
        (text of the bill in Word format, suggestions on testifying, etc.)

        http://mail.yahoo.com