Re: [MysticCrossing] Digest Number 137

  • Doug Mink
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5 3:42 PM
      Craig P. Della Penna wrote to Governor Romney:

      >Why not 'fix' the obvious and make transportation agencies in charge of
      >transportation and the play agency in charge of recreation.

      and later noted after the letter to the governor:

      >Finally, it is doubly ironic that this tragedy that precipitated this
      >debate, took place in West Rox where a despicable sell off of a former RR
      >corridor owned by the MBTA to politically connected adjacent landowners is
      >about to happen. This is the only place in Mass where this is being allowed
      >to happen. Pretty sad that all these bad things happen in West Rox.

      It has been suggested by some that the reason that Romney took the issue
      of a plow
      running into pedestrians, which is really a traffic offense which itself
      is not being pursued
      as strenuously as it should have been, to the head of the DCR is to
      wrest control of the
      parkways from the DCR to the MHD. It has been my experience after the
      blizzard
      that the DCR did a pretty good job of plowing the *parkways*. The
      sidewalks and
      bikepaths are another issue. It is my feeling that the MHD is not
      likely to do a better
      job of plowing the paths around Boston than the DCR did. Part of the
      plan to transfer
      the parkways to the MHD would be to transfer the meager maintenance
      staff along
      with the parkways. Park maintenance would go down from its already
      abyssimal
      state as there would be almost no maintenance staff left in the DCR.
      Maybe the
      sidewalks along the parkways would be plowed, but bikepaths which are not
      along parkways would have no one left to plow them.

      -Doug Mink (who is trying to figure out ways to keep the MBTA from breaking
      up the West Roxbury right-of-way)