Re: [MysticCrossing] Digest Number 137

  • Craig P. Della Penna
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
      I've sent the following letter to the Governor. Of course, I'm sure it
      won't play well in the areas served by the former MDC, but it cuts to the
      core problem in Massachusetts. Is walking [or biking] a transportation use?
      Or is it merely a recreational activity?

      Dear Governor Romney,

      Putting the recreational agency in charge of sidewalk plowing instead of
      the transportation agency is shameful enough, but you've compounded it by
      hiding behind slick marketing campaigns like 'Fix it First'.

      Why not 'fix' the obvious and make transportation agencies in charge of
      transportation and the play agency in charge of recreation.

      Of course for that to happen you would have to get to the point where the
      transportation decision makers in the state would actually see walking [and
      for that matter biking] as a transportation mode.

      With your inappropriate firing of the head of DCR, instead of taking-on the
      obvious, 'broken' components of the transportation agencies, I guess it is
      clear that we're not there yet.

      Craig Della Penna
      62 Chestnut St
      Florence, MA 01062
      413-585-8559

      Now this 'take' on the subject might be seen as heresy, but quite frankly,
      the best maintained trails, paths and sidewalks are ALWAYS those maintained
      by the TRANSPORTATION agencies. NOT the RECREATION or PLAY agencies.

      To a degree this is because the transportation agencies always have more
      money, but it also cuts to the core of the mission of the agencies involved.
      Moving people for valid (transportation) reasons or hosting people for
      recreational purposes.

      To see a trail so highly thought of for TRANSPORTATION uses, that it is
      plowed, go to www.trailcam.org . This trail is maintained by the City of
      Northampton's DPW not the Parks Dept for the obvious reason---kids use it to
      bike and walk to school. Transportation uses--not recreational uses.

      Ironically, in yesterdays Daily Hampshire Gazette and the Spfld Republican
      there were articles about the City of Northampton's DPW agreeing to take the
      lead and plow the Norwottuck Rail Trail bridge over the CT River. This is
      because MassHwy doesn't do sidewalks and DCR doesn't plow because it is
      outside their core mission of recreation-and they don't have the money.

      Finally, it is doubly ironic that this tragedy that precipitated this
      debate, took place in West Rox where a despicable sell off of a former RR
      corridor owned by the MBTA to politically connected adjacent landowners is
      about to happen. This is the only place in Mass where this is being allowed
      to happen. Pretty sad that all these bad things happen in West Rox.

      Craig Della Penna

      Can anyone remember when the times were not hard and money was not scarce?

      Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Doug Mink
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
        Craig P. Della Penna wrote to Governor Romney:

        >Why not 'fix' the obvious and make transportation agencies in charge of
        >transportation and the play agency in charge of recreation.

        and later noted after the letter to the governor:

        >Finally, it is doubly ironic that this tragedy that precipitated this
        >debate, took place in West Rox where a despicable sell off of a former RR
        >corridor owned by the MBTA to politically connected adjacent landowners is
        >about to happen. This is the only place in Mass where this is being allowed
        >to happen. Pretty sad that all these bad things happen in West Rox.

        It has been suggested by some that the reason that Romney took the issue
        of a plow
        running into pedestrians, which is really a traffic offense which itself
        is not being pursued
        as strenuously as it should have been, to the head of the DCR is to
        wrest control of the
        parkways from the DCR to the MHD. It has been my experience after the
        blizzard
        that the DCR did a pretty good job of plowing the *parkways*. The
        sidewalks and
        bikepaths are another issue. It is my feeling that the MHD is not
        likely to do a better
        job of plowing the paths around Boston than the DCR did. Part of the
        plan to transfer
        the parkways to the MHD would be to transfer the meager maintenance
        staff along
        with the parkways. Park maintenance would go down from its already
        abyssimal
        state as there would be almost no maintenance staff left in the DCR.
        Maybe the
        sidewalks along the parkways would be plowed, but bikepaths which are not
        along parkways would have no one left to plow them.

        -Doug Mink (who is trying to figure out ways to keep the MBTA from breaking
        up the West Roxbury right-of-way)