Friends of the Community Path letter

  • lynn weissman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2004
      All,

      FYI - Below is the text of the letter that I mailed yesterday from the
      Friends of the Community Path to each of the 5 people listed at top of
      letter.

      Thanks, Bryce.

      Best,
      Lynn Weissman
      617.776.7769
      ************************************
      November 18, 2004

      To:
      Michael Bowler
      Superintendent
      MBTA Bennett Garage
      21 Arlington Avenue
      Charlestown, MA 02129

      Michael Mulhern
      MBTA General Manager
      Ten Park Plaza
      Boston, MA 02116

      Janice Kearny
      MBTA Environmental
      MBTA General Manager
      Ten Park Plaza
      Boston, MA 02116

      Kathy Abbott
      DCR Commissioner
      251 Causeway Street
      Boston, MA 02114

      Dan Driscoll
      DCR Planning
      251 Causeway Street
      Boston, MA 02114

      Re: Advancing the MBTA�s Mystic Riverside land transfer

      All:

      I am writing to you at the MBTA and the DCR on behalf of The Friends of the
      Community Path in support of your efforts to advance the EPA settlement land
      transfer at the Charlestown Bus Yard (which proposes to create a public
      access pathway along the banks of the Mystic River).

      Greater Boston has a tremendous public resource in the form of pleasant and
      useful walking and bicycling paths, including the Minuteman Bikeway,
      walkways along the Emerald Necklace, the Boston Harborwalk, and the Charles
      River Pathways.

      A modest additional public investment can make all those paths even better.
      That's where the route behind the Charlestown Bus Yard comes in. The short
      link behind the bus yard connects residential neighborhoods to pathways that
      are presently underutilized. The short link, in effect, extends the Boston
      Harborwalk all the way up the Mystic River. This link is highly compatible
      with all of the proposed development in the area including that at Assembly
      Square, Mystic Landing, Telecom City, the Earhart Dam, and beyond.

      We recognize the difficulties in completing this link -- it is a challenging
      and bold project in a difficult and heavily impacted area. We feel the
      effort is justified.

      Our group supports this effort to advance the EPA settlement land transfer
      at the Charlestown Bus Yard, and we will help in any way we can with public
      outreach and publicity. Thank you for your efforts.

      Sincerely,
      Lynn Weissman

      About our group: The Friends of the Community Path have promoted the idea of
      extending the Minuteman Bikeway to Boston via the Lechmere Corridor, and
      completing all missing path links in the Boston area. Our website and maps
      can be found at www.PathFriends.org.