letter to MBTA

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2004
      Mailed this AM. Any value in sending it to the DCR?

      --------

      Michael Bowler

      Superintendent
      MBTA Bennett Garage
      21 Arlington Avenue
      Charlestown, MA 02129

      November 11^th , 2004

      Dear Mr. Bowler:

      I live in East Medford, and I support the proposed pedestrian/cycling
      path through the MBTA Charlestown bus yard.

      Such paths are necessary if planned developments in the area are to be
      well served by anything other than automobiles. If the only easy way
      in and out of these developments is by car, then the preferred mode of
      transportation for most new residents will be cars. This does not serve
      the health and viability our area, and it does not serve the interests
      of the MBTA.

      I want to use MBTA trains, but a mistake in urban planning forces me to
      drive. My family would use the Orange line for trips to Boston (my
      three year old son especially!). But that involves crossing Wellington
      Circle, which is unpleasant and unsafe to walk or cycle through with
      children So we drive. Once we're in the car it's easiest to just
      drive to Boston. When I lived in Cambridge access by foot and bicycle
      was easier. So I used the T every day, and I miss it now.

      Let's avoid future urban planning mistakes. With the thousands of new
      housing units to be developed along the lower Mystic we have an historic
      opportunity to expand MBTA ridership and grow our area without further
      clogging roads or reducing air quality.

      I believe the Charlestown path, with other paths connecting these
      developments to each other and to the waterfront, will encourage new
      residents to walk and bike rather than drive. It will attract many
      users, especially new MBTA patrons.

      Sincerely,

      Robert Mela
      52 Pinkert St.