RE: [MysticCrossing] DMF interested

  • APhelps@ci.somerville.ma.us
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      Hi All,

      As some of you know, my speciality is "fishes." Brad, Todd, etc., please
      call me if there is anything specific I can do to help with getting better
      fish passage on the lower Mystic!

      Anne

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
        Just a random idea on fish passage --

        my 2-1/2 year old is a great fan of the little fishies. It occurred
        to me that the dam would be one of the few places where human and fish
        passages very nearly intersect.

        If there's sufficient fish traffic and visibility to make such a thing
        interesting, it'd be fun to provide a window into the fish passage.
        It could be optical fiber and lenses, or a sonar/fish counter. If
        that's not practical, or there isn't fish activity to make it
        interesting, then heck, just some signage w. a couple of pictures
        would let folks know about interesting goings-on in the river below.

        --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, APhelps@c... wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > As some of you know, my speciality is "fishes." Brad, Todd, etc.,
        please
        > call me if there is anything specific I can do to help with getting
        better
        > fish passage on the lower Mystic!
        >
        > Anne

      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
          I think that's a wonderful idea. Allowing the Dam to be a destination
          as wellas ameans of crossing the river!

          --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Mela" <r.mela@c...>
          wrote:
          > Just a random idea on fish passage --
          >
          > my 2-1/2 year old is a great fan of the little fishies. It occurred
          > to me that the dam would be one of the few places where human and
          fish
          > passages very nearly intersect.
          >
          > If there's sufficient fish traffic and visibility to make such a
          thing
          > interesting, it'd be fun to provide a window into the fish passage.
          > It could be optical fiber and lenses, or a sonar/fish counter. If
          > that's not practical, or there isn't fish activity to make it
          > interesting, then heck, just some signage w. a couple of pictures
          > would let folks know about interesting goings-on in the river below.
          >

          > --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, APhelps@c... wrote:
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > As some of you know, my speciality is "fishes." Brad, Todd, etc.,
          > please
          > > call me if there is anything specific I can do to help with
          getting
          > better
          > > fish passage on the lower Mystic!
          > >
          > > Anne

        • Lisa Brukilacchio
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2003
            Any of us who have had the opportunity to visit the locks in Seattle, WA
            share a vision of an interactive visual connection to the fish passage. I
            may try to track down information on their set up as an example.

            Lisa Brukilacchio

            wrote:
            > Just a random idea on fish passage --
            >
            > my 2-1/2 year old is a great fan of the little fishies. It occurred
            > to me that the dam would be one of the few places where human and
            fish
            > passages very nearly intersect.
            >
            > If there's sufficient fish traffic and visibility to make such a
            thing
            > interesting, it'd be fun to provide a window into the fish passage.
            > It could be optical fiber and lenses, or a sonar/fish counter. If
            > that's not practical, or there isn't fish activity to make it
            > interesting, then heck, just some signage w. a couple of pictures
            > would let folks know about interesting goings-on in the river below.
            >

            > --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, APhelps@c... wrote:
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > As some of you know, my speciality is "fishes." Brad, Todd, etc.,
            > please
            > > call me if there is anything specific I can do to help with
            getting
            > better
            > > fish passage on the lower Mystic!
            > >
            > > Anne

          • Lanny Evarts
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 2003
              Lisa and all,

              I'm from Seattle. The locks are a wonderful destination very popular and
              economically profitable for the neighborhood. We always took our
              out-of-town visitors there for a unique experience. I've been advocating
              quietly for Erhart to be open to the public since moving here.

              Lanny Evarts

            • tower@ai.mit.edu
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
                Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:20:21 -0500
                From: "Lisa Brukilacchio" <lisa.b@...>

                Any of us who have had the opportunity to visit the locks in
                Seattle, WA share a vision of an interactive visual connection to
                the fish passage. I may try to track down information on their set
                up as an example.

                Lisa Brukilacchio

                Anyone know if the water in the Mystic is clear enough to make an
                interactive visual connection worhtwhile?

                If it's so murky, you can only see a few inches, an underwater camera
                wouldn't show much.

                thanx either way -len