Copy of letter sent to MBTA yard superintendent

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2004
      Michael Bowler
      Superintendent
      MBTA Bennett Garage
      21 Arlington Avenue
      Charlestown, MA 02129

      November 6, 2004

      Dear Mr. Bowler;

      My name is Bryce Nesbitt. I am writing to explain why I support the
      proposed transfer of land along the edge of the bus yard you operate.
      I was involved in selecting the project, as a citizen advisor to the
      EPA **.

      The lower Mystic Basin is in transition. There are development plans
      for nearly every parcel of land in the area. Now is the time when
      development patterns will be set. By completing public access to the
      banks of the Mystic River now, future generations will benefit from
      the tremendous recreational and transportation opportunities the river
      presents.

      I know there are challenges to building a path along the edge of the
      bus yard. There are light poles and electrical equipment in the way.
      The available space is narrow. Near the old Orange Line abutments,
      the choices come down to an expensive bridge or the loss of some
      parking. The strength of the guard rail is an issue. Off MBTA
      property, the condition of the sidewalk along Alford Street is poor.
      However, the Route 99 sidewalk is good. And I feel that all of the
      concerns can be mitigated in the design phase of the project.

      I know that the project, if completed, will be appreciated by the
      community. I expect that design and construction will take at least 5
      years and probably 10 or 15. Eventually, I hope the project will
      bring some benefit to the bus yard. Better fencing and lighting are
      probable results of any construction project. Employees will be given
      a great place to take lunches and time off. And improved access by
      law-abiding citizens is proven to reduce problems of petty crime and
      vandalism. Taking the long view, I hope and expect the project will
      be good for both the community and the T. I hope that the river path
      will help the bus yard to continue to fit into the community, even as
      the land in the area changes character.

      If you have any questions, please feel free to write or call. I hope
      you will support completion of the river path, and not substitute any
      other project.

      Bryce Nesbitt
      ` 2332 McKinley Ave
      Berkeley, CA 94703
      510-540-8421
    • smith.catherine@epamail.epa.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
        Bryce,
        Thanks for all of your hard work supporting this project.