Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: Sister agreement in jeapordy

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
      With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
      DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
      to fines.

      I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
      Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
      Harborwalk/
      The Boston Harbor Association.

      Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
      in the balance.
      Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

      -Bryce Nesbitt

      Robert Mela wrote:

      >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
      >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
      >
      >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
      >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
      >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
      >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
      >
      >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
      >familiar with Medford...

      DATE

      Dear MBTA;

      In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
      pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
      agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
      deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
      project may be substituted.

      The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
      Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
      attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
      industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
      transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
      transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
      Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
      residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
      Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
      well as a transportation win.

      We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
      utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
      the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
      mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
      employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
      break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
      sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
      physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
      crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
      cyclists such a pathway will attract.

      We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
      land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
      on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
      99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

      We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
      envisioned.

      Dorie Clark
      Executive Director
      Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

      Cc:
      Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
      Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
      Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

      Attachments:
      Map
      Retouched Photo
      Copy of consent decree
    • kenmedford
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
        --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
        > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
        EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
        into the party?

        I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
        the Mystic River.

        I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
        Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

        - Ken Krause
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
          Great! And how about Walk Boston?

          kenmedford wrote:

          >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
          >

          >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
          >>

          >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
          >into the party?
          >
          >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
          >the Mystic River.
          >
          >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
          >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
          >
          >- Ken Krause

        • kenmedford
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
            --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: