Re: [MysticCrossing] Name of housing development proposed for Everett?

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
      Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

      So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

      http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
        With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
        DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
        to fines.

        I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
        Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
        Harborwalk/
        The Boston Harbor Association.

        Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
        in the balance.
        Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

        -Bryce Nesbitt

        Robert Mela wrote:

        >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
        >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
        >
        >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
        >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
        >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
        >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
        >
        >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
        >familiar with Medford...

        DATE

        Dear MBTA;

        In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
        pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
        agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
        deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
        project may be substituted.

        The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
        Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
        attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
        industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
        transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
        transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
        Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
        residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
        Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
        well as a transportation win.

        We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
        utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
        the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
        mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
        employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
        break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
        sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
        physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
        crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
        cyclists such a pathway will attract.

        We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
        land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
        on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
        99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

        We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
        envisioned.

        Dorie Clark
        Executive Director
        Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

        Cc:
        Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
        Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
        Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

        Attachments:
        Map
        Retouched Photo
        Copy of consent decree
      • kenmedford
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
          --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
          > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
          EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
          into the party?

          I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
          the Mystic River.

          I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
          Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

          - Ken Krause
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
            Great! And how about Walk Boston?

            kenmedford wrote:

            >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
            >

            >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
            >>

            >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
            >into the party?
            >
            >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
            >the Mystic River.
            >
            >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
            >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
            >
            >- Ken Krause

          • kenmedford
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
              --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: