Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: Sister agreement in jeapordy

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
      I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
      I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

      I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
      through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
      Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
      Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

      Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
      familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
      Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
      Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
      hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

      As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
      The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
      nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
      the house a mess...

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
        The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

        1) North Point, Cambridge
        2) Charlestown Navy Yard
        3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
        4) Mystic Place, Medford
        5) Mystic Landing, Everett

        I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
        waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
        stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
        developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
        coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
        around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
        outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

        What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
        ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

        Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
        small sailboat...

        Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
        early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
        letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
          Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

          So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

          http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
            With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
            DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
            to fines.

            I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
            Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
            Harborwalk/
            The Boston Harbor Association.

            Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
            in the balance.
            Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

            -Bryce Nesbitt

            Robert Mela wrote:

            >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
            >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
            >
            >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
            >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
            >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
            >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
            >
            >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
            >familiar with Medford...

            DATE

            Dear MBTA;

            In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
            pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
            agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
            deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
            project may be substituted.

            The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
            Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
            attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
            industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
            transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
            transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
            Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
            residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
            Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
            well as a transportation win.

            We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
            utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
            the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
            mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
            employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
            break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
            sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
            physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
            crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
            cyclists such a pathway will attract.

            We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
            land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
            on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
            99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

            We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
            envisioned.

            Dorie Clark
            Executive Director
            Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

            Cc:
            Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
            Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
            Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

            Attachments:
            Map
            Retouched Photo
            Copy of consent decree
          • kenmedford
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
              --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
              > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
              EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
              into the party?

              I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
              the Mystic River.

              I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
              Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

              - Ken Krause
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                kenmedford wrote:

                >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                >

                >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                >>

                >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                >into the party?
                >
                >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                >the Mystic River.
                >
                >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                >
                >- Ken Krause

              • kenmedford
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                  --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: