Re: Sister agreement in jeapordy

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
      YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
      valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
      be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
      the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
      Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
      willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

      For lists of officials, see:
      http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

      Or for detailed district boundaries check:
      http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
      Or simply click here for a great view
      http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
      Or here:
      http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
      I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
      show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

      The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
      Senator Shannon and Barrios.

      -Bryce

      Robert Mela wrote:

      >Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
      >Donato and Shannon.
      >
      >Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside
      that
      >area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ?
      Does

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
        I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
        I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

        I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
        through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
        Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
        Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

        Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
        familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
        Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
        Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
        hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

        As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
        The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
        nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
        the house a mess...

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
          The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

          1) North Point, Cambridge
          2) Charlestown Navy Yard
          3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
          4) Mystic Place, Medford
          5) Mystic Landing, Everett

          I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
          waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
          stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
          developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
          coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
          around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
          outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

          What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
          ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

          Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
          small sailboat...

          Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
          early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
          letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
            Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

            So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

            http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
              With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
              DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
              to fines.

              I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
              Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
              Harborwalk/
              The Boston Harbor Association.

              Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
              in the balance.
              Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

              -Bryce Nesbitt

              Robert Mela wrote:

              >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
              >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
              >
              >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
              >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
              >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
              >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
              >
              >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
              >familiar with Medford...

              DATE

              Dear MBTA;

              In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
              pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
              agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
              deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
              project may be substituted.

              The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
              Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
              attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
              industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
              transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
              transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
              Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
              residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
              Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
              well as a transportation win.

              We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
              utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
              the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
              mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
              employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
              break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
              sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
              physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
              crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
              cyclists such a pathway will attract.

              We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
              land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
              on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
              99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

              We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
              envisioned.

              Dorie Clark
              Executive Director
              Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

              Cc:
              Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
              Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
              Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

              Attachments:
              Map
              Retouched Photo
              Copy of consent decree
            • kenmedford
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                into the party?

                I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                the Mystic River.

                I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                - Ken Krause
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                  kenmedford wrote:

                  >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                  >>

                  >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                  >into the party?
                  >
                  >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                  >the Mystic River.
                  >
                  >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                  >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                  >
                  >- Ken Krause

                • kenmedford
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                    --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: