RE: [MysticCrossing] Sister agreement in jeopardy

  • EPDMARINE
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
      Message
      ouch!

      Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline.
    • Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account)
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004

        EPDMARINE wrote:
        Message
        ouch!
        Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 30, 2004
          Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
          Donato and Shannon.

          Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
          area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
          Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
            YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
            valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
            be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
            the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
            Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
            willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

            For lists of officials, see:
            http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

            Or for detailed district boundaries check:
            http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
            Or simply click here for a great view
            http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
            Or here:
            http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
            I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
            show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

            The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
            Senator Shannon and Barrios.

            -Bryce

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
              I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
              I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

              I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
              through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
              Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
              Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

              Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
              familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
              Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
              Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
              hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

              As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
              The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
              nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
              the house a mess...

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                1) North Point, Cambridge
                2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                4) Mystic Place, Medford
                5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                small sailboat...

                Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                  Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                  So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                  http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                    With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                    DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                    to fines.

                    I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                    Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                    Harborwalk/
                    The Boston Harbor Association.

                    Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                    in the balance.
                    Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                    -Bryce Nesbitt

                    Robert Mela wrote:

                    >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                    >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                    >
                    >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                    >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                    >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                    >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                    >
                    >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                    >familiar with Medford...

                    DATE

                    Dear MBTA;

                    In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                    pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                    agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                    deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                    project may be substituted.

                    The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                    Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                    attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                    industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                    transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                    transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                    Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                    residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                    Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                    well as a transportation win.

                    We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                    utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                    the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                    mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                    employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                    break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                    sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                    physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                    crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                    cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                    We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                    land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                    on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                    99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                    We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                    envisioned.

                    Dorie Clark
                    Executive Director
                    Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                    Cc:
                    Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                    Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                    Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                    Attachments:
                    Map
                    Retouched Photo
                    Copy of consent decree
                  • kenmedford
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                      --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                      > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                      EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                      into the party?

                      I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                      the Mystic River.

                      I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                      Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                      - Ken Krause
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                        kenmedford wrote:

                        >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                        >>

                        >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                        >into the party?
                        >
                        >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                        >the Mystic River.
                        >
                        >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                        >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                        >
                        >- Ken Krause

                      • kenmedford
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                          --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: