RE: [MysticCrossing] Name of housing development proposed for Everett?

  • EPDMARINE
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
      Message
      You should also be aware that there are plans for development old the Charlestown Navy Yard Lot 5 (where Testa currently has a Big Dig laydown yard) alongside the Little Mystic Channel. This would be the 5th mixed use development along the water within a mile of each other. I have contacted the Rivers Edge developer regarding a water based transportation link. This developer (John Preotle) was instrumental in the design phase of the Wellington Greenway). There are many possibility here. Perhaps we should hold a Mystic Crossing meeting in the near future to discuss these and other issues?

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
        Message
        Great photos Bryce!

        I am unaware of the Feb 05 deadline and hope the EPA will work towards an extension (if not already underway). A letter writing campaign would be very appropriate. I would suggest contacting local state reps and senators for support.

        Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:06 PM
        To: MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [MysticCrossing] Sister agreement in jeapordy

        Before the EPA deal to fund the dam crossing, a separate deal was
        brokered for a land swap (the land deal actually lead to the dam deal).
        Check out section "A...B" on this map:

        http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/img6.gif

        Unless the land deal closes by February 2005, the settlement reverts to
        a fine.  The settlement is now at risk.

        Who might be willing to swing letters of support, encouraging MBTA and
        DCR to come to terms on the transfer?  Is anyone willing to take the
        initiative to contact Modern Continental?

                        -Bryce "No longer local" Nesbitt

        NB: The MBTA settlement is for the strip of land between the river and
        the edge of the MBTA's parking lot, from route 99 to the dead-end at
        Draw 7 park.  The strip is narrow, but not too narrow.  The idea is to
        reconstruct the guardrail, and move some of the obstructions (including
        light poles and a fire hydrant).  A low fence (e.g. 4 feet) would give
        the path an open and secure feel.

        The MBTA signed the deal, but some forces within the agency are
        concerned about the usual list: security, theft, vandalism, liability.
        There is also an issue of parking, as several parking spots used by
        supervisors would need to be moved back a few feet.

        A traveler on this path would be in full view of route 99 and passing
        boats.  Once off MBTA property, a traveler can cross route 99 on the
        sidewalk, or travel a little-used sidewalk to Sullivan Square.   On the
        way they'll pass a little-used side entrance to the MBTA facility, which
        is always kept open and unlocked.  It's not nice now, but it has real
        potential.  And it hooks into the Boston Harborwalk directly!

        The MBTA is trying to substitute the settlement for another route
        through a deserted rail yard and active junkyard.  While a more direct
        to Sullivan Square, it is far less attractive.  It does not make a
        'great public place'.

      • Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account)
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
          Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline. Here's the legal agreement:

          APPENDIX E
          Scope of Work
          Supplemental Environmental Project
          Mystic River Path Extension

          A. Supplemental Environmental Project Description (SEP)

          1. The MBTA shall donate or place a conservation easement on at least
          one acre of MBTA-owned property (the “Property”) so that the Mystic
          River Path may be extended from the Draw Seven Park in Somerville,
          Massachusetts, to Route 99 in Boston. A map of the proposed path
          extension is attached (although the map does not indicate the width of
          the path, which will vary along its length). The primary purpose of the
          SEP is to promote bicycle commuting into Boston, which should reduce air
          and water pollution associated with car commuting. Also, although this
          SEP does not include the design or construction of the path, the design
          is expected to incorporate several elements that will reduce pollution
          carried to the river through stormwater runoff. In addition, the
          Property is expected to be capped (either with new soil or paving
          materials) to reduce risks from any pre-existing contamination that may
          be in the soils.

          2. While the parties recognize that the property width will vary in
          places, the Property should:

          (a) run along the Mystic River from the Draw Seven Park to Route 99,
          unless EPA agrees in writing that another course for the path is
          acceptable;

          (b) consist of at least 1 acre; and

          (c) at its most narrow point, be sufficiently wide to allow for the
          construction of a seven foot-wide path.

          3. MBTA shall do its best to contain costs associated with the design
          and construction of the path by reducing path constriction points to the
          bare minimum. For example, where MBTA can help lower the costs
          associated with designing and building the path by moving private car
          parking spots to another location within the bus yard or to one of
          MBTA’s adjacent properties, MBTA shall do so.

          4. If MBTA chooses to place a conservation easement on the Property
          instead of donating it in fee simple, the conservation easement shall
          name the United States as a third party beneficiary so that the United
          States has the authority to enforce the easement. Any land transfer
          document shall require the Property to remain in perpetuity as a public
          park.

          5. Access: MBTA shall provide access at all reasonable times to
          employees of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation Resources,
          MassBike, the cities of Somerville and Boston, utility companies,
          contractors and EPA to facilitate the design and construction of the
          path. It is understood that such employees will need to observe MBTA
          safety procedures. In addition, MBTA shall provide public access to the
          path once it is complete.

          B. SEP Deadlines

          The following table describes the deadlines for completing the SEP.

          Date
          Action Required
          Responsible party
          Whether Stipulated Penalties apply

          April 30, 2004
          Determine whether the land transfer shall be in fee simple or through a
          conservation easement and whether the grantee(s) shall be the Cities of
          Somerville and Boston or the Massachusetts Department of Conservation
          and Recreation.
          MBTA
          no

          May 31, 2004
          Submit to EPA a survey indicating the boundaries of the land that will
          be donated or placed under a conservation easement (“the property”).
          MBTA
          no

          June 30, 2004
          Submit a draft conservation easement or property transfer agreement to EPA.
          MBTA
          yes

          July 31, 2004
          EPA shall comment on the draft conservation easement or property
          transfer agreement, if EPA chooses to comment at all.
          EPA
          no

          December 31, 2004
          Property transfer/placement of easement must be complete.
          MBTA
          yes
        • EPDMARINE
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
            Message
            ouch!

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004

              EPDMARINE wrote:
              Message
              ouch!
              Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 30, 2004
                Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
                Donato and Shannon.

                Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
                area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
                Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                  YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
                  valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
                  be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
                  the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
                  Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
                  willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

                  For lists of officials, see:
                  http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

                  Or for detailed district boundaries check:
                  http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
                  Or simply click here for a great view
                  http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
                  Or here:
                  http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
                  I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
                  show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

                  The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
                  Senator Shannon and Barrios.

                  -Bryce

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                    I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                    I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

                    I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                    through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                    Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                    Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

                    Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                    familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
                    Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
                    Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
                    hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

                    As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
                    The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
                    nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
                    the house a mess...

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                      The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                      1) North Point, Cambridge
                      2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                      3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                      4) Mystic Place, Medford
                      5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                      I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                      waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                      stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                      developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                      coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                      around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                      outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                      What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                      ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                      Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                      small sailboat...

                      Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                      early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                      letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                        Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                        So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                        http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                          With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                          DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                          to fines.

                          I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                          Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                          Harborwalk/
                          The Boston Harbor Association.

                          Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                          in the balance.
                          Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                          -Bryce Nesbitt

                          Robert Mela wrote:

                          >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                          >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                          >
                          >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                          >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                          >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                          >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                          >
                          >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                          >familiar with Medford...

                          DATE

                          Dear MBTA;

                          In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                          pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                          agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                          deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                          project may be substituted.

                          The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                          Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                          attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                          industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                          transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                          transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                          Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                          residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                          Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                          well as a transportation win.

                          We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                          utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                          the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                          mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                          employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                          break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                          sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                          physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                          crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                          cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                          We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                          land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                          on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                          99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                          We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                          envisioned.

                          Dorie Clark
                          Executive Director
                          Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                          Cc:
                          Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                          Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                          Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                          Attachments:
                          Map
                          Retouched Photo
                          Copy of consent decree
                        • kenmedford
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                            --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                            > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                            EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                            into the party?

                            I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                            the Mystic River.

                            I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                            Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                            - Ken Krause
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                              Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                              kenmedford wrote:

                              >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                              >

                              >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                              >>

                              >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                              >into the party?
                              >
                              >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                              >the Mystic River.
                              >
                              >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                              >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                              >
                              >- Ken Krause

                            • kenmedford
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: