RE: [MysticCrossing] Name of housing development proposed for Everett?

  • EPDMARINE
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
      Message
      It will connect to B2C through a underpass at the railroad bridge...through the Gateway Center Park across Revere Beach  Parkway Rt. 16 (see below) to Everett's Village Landing park and then into Rivers Edge (Telecom City).

      The crossing at Rt. 16 is problematic. I would ultimately like to see a boardwalk through Parcel Z (the wetlands northwest of the mall) with an underpass at the new fixed span lower Rt 16 bridge (expected on the TIF in 6-10 years). Until then the issue of pedestrian/bike crossing at Rat 16 needs to be addressed. Developers of the mall did not expect the currant volume of foot traffic . A pedestrian bridge would be a great option.

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
        Message
        You should also be aware that there are plans for development old the Charlestown Navy Yard Lot 5 (where Testa currently has a Big Dig laydown yard) alongside the Little Mystic Channel. This would be the 5th mixed use development along the water within a mile of each other. I have contacted the Rivers Edge developer regarding a water based transportation link. This developer (John Preotle) was instrumental in the design phase of the Wellington Greenway). There are many possibility here. Perhaps we should hold a Mystic Crossing meeting in the near future to discuss these and other issues?

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
          Message
          Great photos Bryce!

          I am unaware of the Feb 05 deadline and hope the EPA will work towards an extension (if not already underway). A letter writing campaign would be very appropriate. I would suggest contacting local state reps and senators for support.

          Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:06 PM
          To: MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [MysticCrossing] Sister agreement in jeapordy

          Before the EPA deal to fund the dam crossing, a separate deal was
          brokered for a land swap (the land deal actually lead to the dam deal).
          Check out section "A...B" on this map:

          http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/img6.gif

          Unless the land deal closes by February 2005, the settlement reverts to
          a fine.  The settlement is now at risk.

          Who might be willing to swing letters of support, encouraging MBTA and
          DCR to come to terms on the transfer?  Is anyone willing to take the
          initiative to contact Modern Continental?

                          -Bryce "No longer local" Nesbitt

          NB: The MBTA settlement is for the strip of land between the river and
          the edge of the MBTA's parking lot, from route 99 to the dead-end at
          Draw 7 park.  The strip is narrow, but not too narrow.  The idea is to
          reconstruct the guardrail, and move some of the obstructions (including
          light poles and a fire hydrant).  A low fence (e.g. 4 feet) would give
          the path an open and secure feel.

          The MBTA signed the deal, but some forces within the agency are
          concerned about the usual list: security, theft, vandalism, liability.
          There is also an issue of parking, as several parking spots used by
          supervisors would need to be moved back a few feet.

          A traveler on this path would be in full view of route 99 and passing
          boats.  Once off MBTA property, a traveler can cross route 99 on the
          sidewalk, or travel a little-used sidewalk to Sullivan Square.   On the
          way they'll pass a little-used side entrance to the MBTA facility, which
          is always kept open and unlocked.  It's not nice now, but it has real
          potential.  And it hooks into the Boston Harborwalk directly!

          The MBTA is trying to substitute the settlement for another route
          through a deserted rail yard and active junkyard.  While a more direct
          to Sullivan Square, it is far less attractive.  It does not make a
          'great public place'.

        • Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account)
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
            Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline. Here's the legal agreement:

            APPENDIX E
            Scope of Work
            Supplemental Environmental Project
            Mystic River Path Extension

            A. Supplemental Environmental Project Description (SEP)

            1. The MBTA shall donate or place a conservation easement on at least
            one acre of MBTA-owned property (the “Property”) so that the Mystic
            River Path may be extended from the Draw Seven Park in Somerville,
            Massachusetts, to Route 99 in Boston. A map of the proposed path
            extension is attached (although the map does not indicate the width of
            the path, which will vary along its length). The primary purpose of the
            SEP is to promote bicycle commuting into Boston, which should reduce air
            and water pollution associated with car commuting. Also, although this
            SEP does not include the design or construction of the path, the design
            is expected to incorporate several elements that will reduce pollution
            carried to the river through stormwater runoff. In addition, the
            Property is expected to be capped (either with new soil or paving
            materials) to reduce risks from any pre-existing contamination that may
            be in the soils.

            2. While the parties recognize that the property width will vary in
            places, the Property should:

            (a) run along the Mystic River from the Draw Seven Park to Route 99,
            unless EPA agrees in writing that another course for the path is
            acceptable;

            (b) consist of at least 1 acre; and

            (c) at its most narrow point, be sufficiently wide to allow for the
            construction of a seven foot-wide path.

            3. MBTA shall do its best to contain costs associated with the design
            and construction of the path by reducing path constriction points to the
            bare minimum. For example, where MBTA can help lower the costs
            associated with designing and building the path by moving private car
            parking spots to another location within the bus yard or to one of
            MBTA’s adjacent properties, MBTA shall do so.

            4. If MBTA chooses to place a conservation easement on the Property
            instead of donating it in fee simple, the conservation easement shall
            name the United States as a third party beneficiary so that the United
            States has the authority to enforce the easement. Any land transfer
            document shall require the Property to remain in perpetuity as a public
            park.

            5. Access: MBTA shall provide access at all reasonable times to
            employees of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation Resources,
            MassBike, the cities of Somerville and Boston, utility companies,
            contractors and EPA to facilitate the design and construction of the
            path. It is understood that such employees will need to observe MBTA
            safety procedures. In addition, MBTA shall provide public access to the
            path once it is complete.

            B. SEP Deadlines

            The following table describes the deadlines for completing the SEP.

            Date
            Action Required
            Responsible party
            Whether Stipulated Penalties apply

            April 30, 2004
            Determine whether the land transfer shall be in fee simple or through a
            conservation easement and whether the grantee(s) shall be the Cities of
            Somerville and Boston or the Massachusetts Department of Conservation
            and Recreation.
            MBTA
            no

            May 31, 2004
            Submit to EPA a survey indicating the boundaries of the land that will
            be donated or placed under a conservation easement (“the property”).
            MBTA
            no

            June 30, 2004
            Submit a draft conservation easement or property transfer agreement to EPA.
            MBTA
            yes

            July 31, 2004
            EPA shall comment on the draft conservation easement or property
            transfer agreement, if EPA chooses to comment at all.
            EPA
            no

            December 31, 2004
            Property transfer/placement of easement must be complete.
            MBTA
            yes
          • EPDMARINE
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
              Message
              ouch!

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004

                EPDMARINE wrote:
                Message
                ouch!
                Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 30, 2004
                  Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
                  Donato and Shannon.

                  Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
                  area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
                  Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                    YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
                    valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
                    be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
                    the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
                    Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
                    willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

                    For lists of officials, see:
                    http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

                    Or for detailed district boundaries check:
                    http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
                    Or simply click here for a great view
                    http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
                    Or here:
                    http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
                    I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
                    show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

                    The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
                    Senator Shannon and Barrios.

                    -Bryce

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                      I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                      I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

                      I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                      through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                      Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                      Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

                      Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                      familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
                      Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
                      Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
                      hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

                      As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
                      The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
                      nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
                      the house a mess...

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                        The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                        1) North Point, Cambridge
                        2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                        3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                        4) Mystic Place, Medford
                        5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                        I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                        waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                        stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                        developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                        coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                        around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                        outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                        What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                        ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                        Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                        small sailboat...

                        Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                        early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                        letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                          Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                          So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                          http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                            With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                            DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                            to fines.

                            I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                            Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                            Harborwalk/
                            The Boston Harbor Association.

                            Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                            in the balance.
                            Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                            -Bryce Nesbitt

                            Robert Mela wrote:

                            >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                            >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                            >
                            >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                            >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                            >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                            >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                            >
                            >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                            >familiar with Medford...

                            DATE

                            Dear MBTA;

                            In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                            pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                            agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                            deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                            project may be substituted.

                            The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                            Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                            attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                            industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                            transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                            transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                            Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                            residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                            Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                            well as a transportation win.

                            We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                            utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                            the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                            mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                            employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                            break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                            sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                            physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                            crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                            cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                            We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                            land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                            on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                            99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                            We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                            envisioned.

                            Dorie Clark
                            Executive Director
                            Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                            Cc:
                            Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                            Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                            Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                            Attachments:
                            Map
                            Retouched Photo
                            Copy of consent decree
                          • kenmedford
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                              --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                              > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                              EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                              into the party?

                              I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                              the Mystic River.

                              I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                              Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                              - Ken Krause
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                                kenmedford wrote:

                                >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                >>

                                >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                >into the party?
                                >
                                >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                >the Mystic River.
                                >
                                >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                                >
                                >- Ken Krause

                              • kenmedford
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                  --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: