Sister agreement in jeapordy

  • Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account)
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
      Before the EPA deal to fund the dam crossing, a separate deal was
      brokered for a land swap (the land deal actually lead to the dam deal).
      Check out section "A...B" on this map:

      http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/img6.gif

      Unless the land deal closes by February 2005, the settlement reverts to
      a fine. The settlement is now at risk.

      Who might be willing to swing letters of support, encouraging MBTA and
      DCR to come to terms on the transfer? Is anyone willing to take the
      initiative to contact Modern Continental?

      -Bryce "No longer local" Nesbitt

      NB: The MBTA settlement is for the strip of land between the river and
      the edge of the MBTA's parking lot, from route 99 to the dead-end at
      Draw 7 park. The strip is narrow, but not too narrow. The idea is to
      reconstruct the guardrail, and move some of the obstructions (including
      light poles and a fire hydrant). A low fence (e.g. 4 feet) would give
      the path an open and secure feel.

      The MBTA signed the deal, but some forces within the agency are
      concerned about the usual list: security, theft, vandalism, liability.
      There is also an issue of parking, as several parking spots used by
      supervisors would need to be moved back a few feet.

      A traveler on this path would be in full view of route 99 and passing
      boats. Once off MBTA property, a traveler can cross route 99 on the
      sidewalk, or travel a little-used sidewalk to Sullivan Square. On the
      way they'll pass a little-used side entrance to the MBTA facility, which
      is always kept open and unlocked. It's not nice now, but it has real
      potential. And it hooks into the Boston Harborwalk directly!

      The MBTA is trying to substitute the settlement for another route
      through a deserted rail yard and active junkyard. While a more direct
      to Sullivan Square, it is far less attractive. It does not make a
      'great public place'.
    • EPDMARINE
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
        Message
        It will connect to B2C through a underpass at the railroad bridge...through the Gateway Center Park across Revere Beach  Parkway Rt. 16 (see below) to Everett's Village Landing park and then into Rivers Edge (Telecom City).

        The crossing at Rt. 16 is problematic. I would ultimately like to see a boardwalk through Parcel Z (the wetlands northwest of the mall) with an underpass at the new fixed span lower Rt 16 bridge (expected on the TIF in 6-10 years). Until then the issue of pedestrian/bike crossing at Rat 16 needs to be addressed. Developers of the mall did not expect the currant volume of foot traffic . A pedestrian bridge would be a great option.

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
          Message
          You should also be aware that there are plans for development old the Charlestown Navy Yard Lot 5 (where Testa currently has a Big Dig laydown yard) alongside the Little Mystic Channel. This would be the 5th mixed use development along the water within a mile of each other. I have contacted the Rivers Edge developer regarding a water based transportation link. This developer (John Preotle) was instrumental in the design phase of the Wellington Greenway). There are many possibility here. Perhaps we should hold a Mystic Crossing meeting in the near future to discuss these and other issues?

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
            Message
            Great photos Bryce!

            I am unaware of the Feb 05 deadline and hope the EPA will work towards an extension (if not already underway). A letter writing campaign would be very appropriate. I would suggest contacting local state reps and senators for support.

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
              Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline. Here's the legal agreement:

              APPENDIX E
              Scope of Work
              Supplemental Environmental Project
              Mystic River Path Extension

              A. Supplemental Environmental Project Description (SEP)

              1. The MBTA shall donate or place a conservation easement on at least
              one acre of MBTA-owned property (the “Property”) so that the Mystic
              River Path may be extended from the Draw Seven Park in Somerville,
              Massachusetts, to Route 99 in Boston. A map of the proposed path
              extension is attached (although the map does not indicate the width of
              the path, which will vary along its length). The primary purpose of the
              SEP is to promote bicycle commuting into Boston, which should reduce air
              and water pollution associated with car commuting. Also, although this
              SEP does not include the design or construction of the path, the design
              is expected to incorporate several elements that will reduce pollution
              carried to the river through stormwater runoff. In addition, the
              Property is expected to be capped (either with new soil or paving
              materials) to reduce risks from any pre-existing contamination that may
              be in the soils.

              2. While the parties recognize that the property width will vary in
              places, the Property should:

              (a) run along the Mystic River from the Draw Seven Park to Route 99,
              unless EPA agrees in writing that another course for the path is
              acceptable;

              (b) consist of at least 1 acre; and

              (c) at its most narrow point, be sufficiently wide to allow for the
              construction of a seven foot-wide path.

              3. MBTA shall do its best to contain costs associated with the design
              and construction of the path by reducing path constriction points to the
              bare minimum. For example, where MBTA can help lower the costs
              associated with designing and building the path by moving private car
              parking spots to another location within the bus yard or to one of
              MBTA’s adjacent properties, MBTA shall do so.

              4. If MBTA chooses to place a conservation easement on the Property
              instead of donating it in fee simple, the conservation easement shall
              name the United States as a third party beneficiary so that the United
              States has the authority to enforce the easement. Any land transfer
              document shall require the Property to remain in perpetuity as a public
              park.

              5. Access: MBTA shall provide access at all reasonable times to
              employees of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation Resources,
              MassBike, the cities of Somerville and Boston, utility companies,
              contractors and EPA to facilitate the design and construction of the
              path. It is understood that such employees will need to observe MBTA
              safety procedures. In addition, MBTA shall provide public access to the
              path once it is complete.

              B. SEP Deadlines

              The following table describes the deadlines for completing the SEP.

              Date
              Action Required
              Responsible party
              Whether Stipulated Penalties apply

              April 30, 2004
              Determine whether the land transfer shall be in fee simple or through a
              conservation easement and whether the grantee(s) shall be the Cities of
              Somerville and Boston or the Massachusetts Department of Conservation
              and Recreation.
              MBTA
              no

              May 31, 2004
              Submit to EPA a survey indicating the boundaries of the land that will
              be donated or placed under a conservation easement (“the property”).
              MBTA
              no

              June 30, 2004
              Submit a draft conservation easement or property transfer agreement to EPA.
              MBTA
              yes

              July 31, 2004
              EPA shall comment on the draft conservation easement or property
              transfer agreement, if EPA chooses to comment at all.
              EPA
              no

              December 31, 2004
              Property transfer/placement of easement must be complete.
              MBTA
              yes
            • EPDMARINE
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                Message
                ouch!

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004

                  EPDMARINE wrote:
                  Message
                  ouch!
                  Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 30, 2004
                    Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
                    Donato and Shannon.

                    Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
                    area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
                    Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                      YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
                      valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
                      be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
                      the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
                      Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
                      willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

                      For lists of officials, see:
                      http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

                      Or for detailed district boundaries check:
                      http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
                      Or simply click here for a great view
                      http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
                      Or here:
                      http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
                      I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
                      show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

                      The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
                      Senator Shannon and Barrios.

                      -Bryce

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                        I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                        I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

                        I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                        through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                        Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                        Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

                        Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                        familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
                        Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
                        Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
                        hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

                        As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
                        The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
                        nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
                        the house a mess...

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                          The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                          1) North Point, Cambridge
                          2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                          3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                          4) Mystic Place, Medford
                          5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                          I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                          waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                          stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                          developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                          coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                          around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                          outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                          What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                          ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                          Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                          small sailboat...

                          Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                          early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                          letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                            Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                            So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                            http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                              With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                              DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                              to fines.

                              I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                              Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                              Harborwalk/
                              The Boston Harbor Association.

                              Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                              in the balance.
                              Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                              -Bryce Nesbitt

                              Robert Mela wrote:

                              >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                              >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                              >
                              >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                              >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                              >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                              >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                              >
                              >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                              >familiar with Medford...

                              DATE

                              Dear MBTA;

                              In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                              pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                              agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                              deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                              project may be substituted.

                              The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                              Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                              attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                              industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                              transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                              transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                              Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                              residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                              Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                              well as a transportation win.

                              We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                              utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                              the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                              mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                              employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                              break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                              sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                              physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                              crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                              cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                              We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                              land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                              on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                              99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                              We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                              envisioned.

                              Dorie Clark
                              Executive Director
                              Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                              Cc:
                              Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                              Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                              Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                              Attachments:
                              Map
                              Retouched Photo
                              Copy of consent decree
                            • kenmedford
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                into the party?

                                I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                the Mystic River.

                                I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                                - Ken Krause
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                  Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                                  kenmedford wrote:

                                  >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                  >>

                                  >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                  >into the party?
                                  >
                                  >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                  >the Mystic River.
                                  >
                                  >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                  >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                                  >
                                  >- Ken Krause

                                • kenmedford
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                    --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: